“Rip Off”

Best Western King Salmon Motel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Soldotna
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed there one night on the way to a fishing trip with a buddy. Checked out at 4 am to catch the boat, left the room tidy, and three weeks later find a charge on my credit card for $250.00 in addition to my one night of $138.00. When I contacted the hotel, they said it was a fee for having an animal in my room and that my room was left in a mess, dog hair all over, they said they took pictures. When I told the clerk we didn't have a dog, she said they would check it out and call me back. They didn't call me back and didn't take the charge off my card. After three phone calls, I finally got hold of the manager at the hotel to inquire of the status of the extra charge and was told they were reversing the charge, no apology, no explanation. I had to file a 'fraudulent charge' claim with my credit card company and went through a real hassle getting this taken care of. It seems someone would have called to say there was going to be an extra charge and the matter could have been straightened out then. Every communication I had with the manager of this hotel was difficult. When I would call to speak with her, they would always tell me "she has just walked out". This hotel is dishonest and unprofessionally run.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank vickreytom

Reviewed April 10, 2011

The room was clean, but the curtains were dusty. The water pipes of the baseboard heater popped and gurgled all night long. I couldn't get a good night's sleep! Also, the shower head needs to be replaced.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank OhWowMan
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Hands down worst place I’ve ever stayed in Alaska! The room was disgusting and loud. We could hear everything going on in the room next to us, there were stains on the walls and carpet, I saw bugs and hair in the bathroom, the sheets looked they hadn’t been washed in months, and there was cat hair on the floor and on the comforter. When we called down to the front desk to ask for a new room they acted annoyed and told us they couldn’t accommodate us. We opted to sleep in our sleeping bags on top of the covers and sucked it up for the night! I don’t ask for a lot in my accommodations, I feel like I’m a reasonable person, I’m used to roughing it, I just was not expecting so little for how much this motel costs. Don’t make the same mistake we did, there are plenty of decent hotels in Soldotna.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pcreell
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Made the mistake of staying here on business, because everywhere else was booked. The rooms were dated, poor quality, very loud, but it was only for one night, so we put up with it.

When I checked my credit card statement following my stay, I noticed we were charged an additional $250. I assumed it was a mistake and when we called, we were told we were charged a pet fee. We explained that there must be a mistake because we never had a pet in the room.

We received a voicemail that we would not be refunded our money. I had a very difficult time getting a manager to return my call, and when she did, I was shocked at the level of service I received. I informed her at no point did we have a pet in the room and she informed me that a cleaning lady saw pet hair in the room. I informed her that either there was pet hair in the room when we got there, or we tracked something in. It is ridiculous to us that we are having to contest something that never happened-it is bizarre. I asked if this is their policy on how to treat customers and she said yes.

Clearly customers are not valued at this hotel. If you stay here, check your room first to ensure you are not held responsible and charged for something that is not yours.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
8  Thank jml511
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We entered a sparkling clean room that smelled as fresh as it looked.
The linens were a pleasing color and they were up to date and clean
The pillows are the perfect mix of fluff and firm--slept great.
There was a box fan to use, which made us extremely happy considering we are those, WHITE NOISE type of people when we sleep. The crank out window with screen helped cool the room down quickly. There is an older style over and fridge, but we did not use it. There is Wolfgang Puck single serve coffees and a Cafe Express Maker, perfect for early morning coffee~
The towels are clean and plush, the bathroom sparkling clean!
The lamps are updated and shades are clean.
The curtains are dark and helped block out the light.
There are double locks on the doors, a dead bolt and a chain lock.
There is a microwave and a newer mini fridge which we used for leftovers and soda.
This location has a washer and dryer at a reasonable price!
There is wireless available, and this is the only con, the service drops often and it's not dependable. They offer Ethernet cords though, which worked like a dream!
Don't pass up this place, it's a great value!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I have stayed here a number of times during my trips down to the Kenai River area. Trips were primarily for business purposes and I stayed here each time. The rooms are somewhat basic but comfortable for the most part. Beds and pillows were comfortable, not as comfortable. The wireless internet was very iffy and hard to find a good place within the room that got a good signal. I think there should be a booster put on the wireless signal for better coverage around the complex.
Overall, it's a good place to stay if you like to know what you're getting each time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We stayed in this hotel only one night, as we had a one-day fishing charter out of Soldotna and just needed a place to crash for the night.

We were actually quite impressed with the King Salmon Motel. The rooms were HUGE - bigger than any other hotel room we stayed in in AK. There were two double beds and still tons of room to lay our packs and gear out to dry in the room. The rooms were extremely clean and had everything we needed - a cozy bed, a TV, a small fridge and a clean bathroom. We also got a great "low season" rate, which certainly made it worth it.

The motel was a bit removed from the main strip of restaurants and shops, so there was nothing within short walking distance other than the on-site restaurant. It was overly crowded when we tried to get in, so we opted for driving to a local diner instead.

The front desk staff were cordial and helpful as well. I would definitely stay here again if passing through Soldotna.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
#5 of 5 in Kenai
Kenai Airport Hotel
Kenai Airport Hotel
#2 of 5 in Kenai

Been to Best Western King Salmon Motel? Share your experiences!