“YA GOTTA GO !!”
Review of Alaska Funny Moose

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Funny Moose
Reviewed July 29, 2010

This was my husband & I first trip to Alaska, same with our friends, we live in the Eastern Sierras of California. Funny Moose was everything we expected a fish camp, what we didn't expect was the superb treatment that we received. I spoke with George told him what we would like, he had everything scheduled from the time we got off the plane to the time we left. Jim is available 23.75 hrs a day, he does it all, you couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable person. Capt. Lou, how much better can it get when you can walk your fish from the banks of the Kenia to Lou for processing - it doesn't get better than that! The Halibut fishing with Mark & Allison was AWESOME ! they went out of their way to make sure we were fish on! 2 trips we had limits both days. Lets not forget the friendships that develop in the camp we met and became friends with people from all over the US. We can't wait to go back! George we'll be calling you soon!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hornbakes

Reviewed July 5, 2010

Went with 3 friends, all with extensive fishing experience, all were impressed with quality of fishing guides, even though we only caught one king on the Kenia during two Kenia charters.The king fishing was very poor(June 19-26) very few kings were caught. The fly in was great as was the halibut fishing with Mark & Allison. Jim @ Fuuny Moose was always very informative.As well as Capt Lou at the lodge next door.This is a fishing lodge not a luxury hotel. George(owner) was very up front on what to expect at the Moose. I feel we got what we paid for,had a very good time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank mikekelly1954
Reviewed June 29, 2010

First let me clear this up for those who will read this review. THIS IS A FISHING CAMP NOT A B&B OR EMBASY SUITES. Ok,with that out of the way let me say we had a great time. We stayed a week,had 4 days planned fishing (included in price) 3 King 1 Halubit. You do have to drive to each location, Homer being the farthest one for our trip, but if you never been to Alaska this is the best way. I promise you will ENJOY the drive. Have your camera ready. Everyone around us had stayed here befor and Jim was great, very patient and accessible at ANY time. We met fishermen from all around the world. We will be coming back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank 5FishingStooges
Reviewed November 30, 2009

The Funny Moose Lodge was great. We travelled with family and stayed in one of their large cabins (6 adults in our party). The cabin had 2BRs and 1BA with plenty of room for all the adults. There was a stocked kitchen with everything we needed to cook our catch, make breakfast, or anything else we wanted to do. There is no phone or TV, but who goes on a fishing trip of a lifetime to watch TV? There were BBQ grills outside ready to go. The two best parts of the lodge were the on-site Kenai river fishing and the fish processing. We caught tons of fish down at the river and were able to take it up and have it processed at the end of the day. The on-site help (Jim) did erverything short of cook our fish for us. He was awesome!! All of our fishing excursions were chartered with great companies that put us on the fish! We definitely had a blast!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2009

The Funny Moose Lodge is pretty good. In my opinion it is rediculously expensive for what it is, but as I understand it so is every Alaskan vacation lodge. The camp is run by a mysterious named George who lives in a dome and who you never see. George implements a strict set of rules for his guests, and for whatever reason, commands the utmost reverence and respect when people approach him. I could never figure out while I was there why everyone seems to be afraid of him.

Underneath George is Jim. You go see Jim in his cabin when you first arrive to check in and get fishing licenses. I have to say this was one of the lowlights of the trip. Jim is a very nice guy, but from the second we got there he would not stop complaining about another group who had called him that morning to request an early check in and how it was completely terrible and upsetting for him and how he was worried about incurring George's wrath. It also stings to shell out fifty bucks for a green slip of paper. Every day you are dishing out cash for licenses, food, gas, tips, rods, etc., which is fine, but I advise you to plan accordingly.

Adjacent to the Funny Moose property is Lou's cabin. Lou, what a guy. A class act. Lou did an excellent job of cleaning and packaging our fish at a very reasonable price, not to mention countless hours of enchantment we got from listening to his stories. Lou helped me to understand that jail is not such a bad place, and to never let the IRS push you around. We never voted officially, but Lou was in the running for trip MVP, a prestigious honor.

For a fishing trip, the cabins themselves are a very nice fit. They are fully equipped and stocked with everything you need, including space heaters, because Alaska is cold as balls even in August. One of the trip highlights was the blankets they have in the cabins. They're like super blankets, it's 35 degrees inside and they keep you at the perfect temperature all night. The week in Alaska was some of the best sleep I've ever gotten.
I recommend bringing a gluttonous amount of food, because all there really is to do when not fishing is eat and drink. Definately do not underestimate the amount of beer you must bring with you. Figure at least 8 beers per person per day plus auxiliary beer.

Now a seasoned Alaskan fisherman, I offer the following Keys to Success, should you embark on an Alaskan fishing adventure:

1. The first night you get there, someone in your party has to drink a fifth of Crown Royal by himself, then totally act a fool. If somebody in a neighboring cabin is wearing a Fubu jersey then rip on them for it.

2. Go on a fly-out fish. I don't even like nature that much and I was at a loss for words. Stunning.

3. Bring poker chips and 15 pounds of deer jerky with you.

4. Go to the Gentlemen's Club in Soldotna. We failed to accomplish this, and I have the rest of my life to regret it.

5. Go on a halibut fish. You will accomplish two things. You will catch the biggest fish of your life, and you will see the biggest booty of your life. Halibut booty holla!

6. Don't bring anyone with you who will be a buzzkill. My group was top quality first class.

In summary, one of the greatest trips of my lifetime. Surreal. Therapeutic. The balls.

1  Thank Al-Train
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Just completed my tenth fishing trip/stay with funny moose lodge. Already working on next years' trip. As a prior resident of Alaksa, I have watched the growth of this vast state over the past 50 years. Fishing this year was just fantastic as back then. Fishing for salmon is a matter of timing and luck with mother nature. Halibut are always out there, weather permittting. George's website has a time schedule for each kind of salmon, etc. There is link that shows prior and ongoing fish counts by date for kings and reds. Fish runs can be early, late, large, small and impacted by water levels, temperaure and so on. We fished five events this year and limited out on each trip. Also we experienced ten days of perfect temperatures and little rain. Two years ago it rained hard every day.!! Fish camp accomodations were very good and most of all, I challenge you to find a better price on the Kenai.... I strongly recommend that for first timers, to fish the even years. You can catch unlimited pink salmon on the Kenai river. Great for youngsters, who will not get bored but tired from catching salmon. Fishing for kings and silvers takes time and patience and some skill. That's where the guides come in.. The flyout will be the highlight of your trip and I have never missed my limit. However, silvers run in August so don"t expect to catch them in July. Good fishing and remember "fish on"...

Reviewed August 24, 2009

We just got back from a weeks stay at the Funny Moose Lodge. What a great time! The weather, company, fishing and lodging were all fantastic! George and Jim do a fantastic job running their camp and in doing so, create a great stay for everyone! I would recommend this trip to anyone. Keep in mind, you're here to fish. If you want luxury and pampering this place is not for you. Hell, if thats what you want, stay in your hotel room or on your cruise ship because Alaska is not for you. Alaska to me, is pure raw beauty. The cabins aren't much, but they are a perfect simple fit for an alaskan experience. Everything is clean and well prepared for your arrival. The guides and companies that the funny moose lodge works with are great! As long as you are considerate of others during your stay, you'll get along with everyone and have a great time!!!