“A most wonderful & economical Alaska vacation.”
Review of Alaska Funny Moose

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Funny Moose
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Check out and go when the "reds" are running up the Kenai, for the best meat haul. Maybe around middle of July? Also take a good reel filled with 25 -30# test to help prevent breakoffs. This is our third trip & they've all been great. From all our research, this is for sure the very best & cheapest fishing vacation in Alaska. The guides are top notch, as is all their equipment. George continues to keep his prices low to where you don't have to be rich to see Alaska for a week. Also his manager, Jim is a GREAT asset to the lodge. He is very friendly, helpfull, & goes above & beyond to make your stay pleasant. Lou, who's there next to the lodge, does a very professonal & cheap job of processing your catch. I would "highly" recommend using him. Thanks, Seaborn of Victoria, Tx.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Seaborn S
There are newer reviews for Alaska Funny Moose

Reviewed July 19, 2011

This was another great trip even if the weather did cheat us out of our last day of halibut fishing :( . If you are traveling threw Soldotna and dont want to spend an arm and a leg just to stay in a clean,quite,secluded place then Funny Moose may be for you. Now mind you this is not a Bed&Breakfast nor the Holiday Inn. No TV or room service.The rooms are basic, you have kitchen and bathroom and the beds are clean,warm and comfortable. Book a fishing trip, meet your nieghbor or bring your wife and reconect. You can aways ask Jim for help or advise 24/7 Lou too but you will have to catch him between happy hours LOL! Lou is great. We didnt get the 50-55lb King this year (others did ) but we will try again. We did pretty good on Sockeye and our first Halibut day ( cought some nice cod to so that was a plus). All in All Funny Moose is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank 5FishingStooges
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Minimalist cabins, very helpfull and pleasant staff, always trying to please. Good fishing guides- all you need for a fishing trip

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We have just returned from our second visit to Funny Moose Lodge located just outside of Soldotna, Alaska. We (my wife and I) had a very enjoyable experience and would recommend this camp to everyone looking for a very affordable and well-run camp. From the time you arrive till the time you leave you will enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the camp. The cabins are very comfortable and have all the ammenities needed to provide for a great time. Jim is the person who will be your main contact at the camp. He is a very friendly and helpful person who will provide you with any type of info he can. When you arrive at camp Jim will be the one who will provide you with a schedule that has been prepared for you for your fishing trips. This schedule has guides, times, and places arranged for you, all you have to do is show up and enjoy. Each trip includes everything that you will need for that day's fishing from rod and reel to helpful instruction on the best way to catch the type of fish you are seeking. The camp only uses friendly and competent guides to take you on your outings. The camp is located in an area that makes it easy to go to other areas, such as Homer, Seward, or Kenai, to do more site-seeing or exploring.
To find more information about the camp look up the web site ------.

1  Thank tdurham001
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Hi -- my family stayed at Funny Moose in late may/early June of this year. We chose Funny Moose because most of the other 'lodges' were so ridiculously priced I wasn't going to pay that much for sleeping -- since the main reason we were going was to fish. This was our first visit to Alaska and we were trying to get a family trip in before our teenage son, who turns 18 soon, got too busy to go anywhere with us and maybe to establish a trip that we could do together as adults. Figured even if it wasn't great -- and we found out we really didn't like Alaska, or salmon fishing, then we hadn't wasted tons of $$ on luxuries that we didn't need or want. Most lodges force you into a bunch of luxury and/ or dining costs that WE didn't want or need. We wanted basic accommodations and the ability to cook for ourselves while checking out the salmon fishing and Alaska in general. Funny Moose provided that. George was helpful and kind on the phone and answered all my questions cordially and didn't seem to mind that I called a couple of times before getting up there with questions. We were gong to come earlier in May but he said that the reason he didn't open until late May was that the salmon run was NOT dependable and he didn't want to rip people off who thought there were thousands of salmon to catch. Just wasn't so -- so we moved our vacation back a few days for this reason. I appreciated that honesty. We arrived and both George and Jim, his sidekick, were there and we were greeted appropriately. After we got settled in a bit, Jim gave us the run down on the week, when we were scheduled for fishing trips (2 salmon and 1 halibut) and where to be at what time. I was a bit shocked that we had to be in Homer (nearly 2 hour drive) by 6am for halibut and on the Kasilof River at 4 am for salmon the 2 other days but.....we are not fishermen so...we generally didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't feel upset towards them about that for any reason.
REVIEW ON ACCOMMODATIONS: V. good. We had cabin #10 which was great. Full kitchen, 2 BR, & shower. Don't know about the other cabins but we were very pleased w/ ours.
REVIEW ON FISHING: Disappointed -- but not because of anything that the guys at Funny Moose did. I was a bit disappointed to learn that there were no salmon in the Kenai when we were there. Apparently they hadn't even made it to the lower Kenai by late May/early June. I was hoping we could do some bank fishing at the lodge on the days that we weren't out w/ a guide. Maybe they eventually get up that far but all the salmon fishing was on the Kasilof river during the time we were there. And even with 2 guided fishing days (and I assume George had to pay ~$150 each for the 3 of us for each day on a guided trip) we caught NO salmon. My son had a nibble on the first day, and I apparently had a nibble on the 2nd outing (fishing the afternoon tide) since our guide chastised me for not recognizing it. Have to say that - even though salmon fishing apparently requires some special tactics (since they are swimming upstream in a tide influenced river) I guess guides are required if you don't know how to do this. One of our guides, Zac, was very very confident and self sufficient kind of guy -- but still young enough that he doesn't always get the client/customer thing I guess. My son said he felt uncomfortable all day because he was so hard to talk to. He chastised me in a rather condescending way for not 'bobbing' at the right pace and by the end of the day it made me think it may have been about some disdain for women because no one else in the boat was doing any better than me but he didn't speak down to them at all. Hmm. Oh well. But -- his overconfidence was a bit tempered (although he said that NEVER happens to him....) since we caught no salmon the whole day and people were catching them all around us. Not sure what the problem was there. The halibut fishing was only unpleasant because the weather turned out to be horrible that day (the only day of the week) and the water was so rough everyone had trouble staying in the boat much less fishing. But, somehow we ended up with our limit on halibut (with a little help from our friends Allison and Mark, and JIm I think) so - can't complain about that. But we were about to come home with NO SALMON until Jim volunteered some from his own personal stash - I guess because he felt bad about it. So, we did end up with 35 lbs of halibut and cod, and a few lbs of salmon. Capt Lou also did a great job of processing our fish and got it packed up for our return flight. The fish was still rock hard when we arrived back in TN some 30 hours after leaving Funny Moose. He also knows so much about the area...and cool places to see. Plus he's just good company...as was Jim.
So -- no real complaints about Funny Moose lodge and I appreciated what everyone tried to do to make our stay a good one. Would return again --- if my family ever wanted to try salmon fishing again. Next time we won't talk so much smack before we go though! Now we owe all our friends a big salmon dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for cabin #10 -- it was really nice!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rathycodes
Reviewed June 11, 2011

This lodge really has it going on. First time there guides were great and personal at lodge were great help. Recommend it highly.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Had a great stay everyone was very nelpfull for fishing,finding food etc.
1 week or 1 time is not enough.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends