“The Best Alaska Fishing”

Alaskan Widespread Fishing Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide high quality fresh and saltwater guided fishing. We are a family owned and operated business. We live on the Kenai River and guide the river year round. We provide specialized wildlife viewing and birding adventures. We rent a 6 bedroom/4 bath Kenai River house to large groups for a very reasonable price and we have several cabins on separate river lots that we rent to visitors. We discount military, teachers, and Alaskan residents. We love what we do and we feel privileged to get to share this amazing place with our guest!
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Before I spend the time and money to book a fishing charter with a guide, they have to be recommended as "best of the best"! In the case of Alaskan Widespread Fishing Adventures, I knew about these guys before I ever traveled to Alaska. Everything I knew about Reubin Payne, owner of Alaskan Widespread Fishing Adventures, before traveling to Alaska, made me feel very comfortable. This guy is a fishing ninja. There is not a harder working or more knowledgable guide in Alaska. I don't care what species you are targeting, Reubin will put you on it. He just has a nose for fish. There are just some guides in the world that you know have another sense. They can read the water. They know where the fish will be holding up.

I have made several trips over the years to fish in Alaska with Alaskan Widespread Fishing Adventures. I have fished in June, July and August for king salmon, silver salmon, rainbow trout and a few other species. I have also fished the Kenai Peninsula in March when it is full of snow and ice and there is only one river open for giant rainbows. What an experience!

The lodge Reubin and his wife, who is also a guide on the rivers, is as nice as they come. It is very spacious, well appointed and on a prime river location for shore fishing. Do it!

If you are considering traveling to Alaska to fish, gives these guys a shot. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Seth H
There are newer reviews for Alaskan Widespread Fishing Adventures

Reviewed November 1, 2013

After requesting information from the chamber of commerce website, I was inundated with e-mails and calls from guide services. However, one stood out. While everyone else was telling me what we would be doing on our Alaskan trip, Reuben started off by asking me what I wanted to do on my vacation. I explained that this was a trip for my father who was fighting a battle with cancer, and we wanted to spend our week fishing together as a family.

Reuben took it from there. He suggested float trips on the Kasilof river versus fighting the crowds on the Kenai. We fished three days on the river - all successful by any measure. Down at the landing, it became almost embarrassing when talking to others about their day on the water. While other trips talked about the big kings they lost, we bragged about our limit of fish. And its no wonder we were so successful. Reuben and Chet just outworked and out fished everyone else on the river. When we passed through a productive area of the river without a fish or at least a strike, they would row the boat back up river (against a pretty wicked current) so that we could fish that spot again. And many times, this would produce a fish.

Reuben also helped us plan other trips while we were there. He helped us book a great day of halibut fishing in Ninilchik and an awesome fly-out trip to bear watch on Wolverine Creek. Each afternoon, I would get a call from Reuben confirming what we would be doing the next day, how to get there, who would be waiting for us, etc. The service was impeccable.

Reuben made it his personal mission to make this trip special and man did he ever succeed. I can't wait to fish with him again.

1  Thank Royce1127
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have used AWFA (Mindy & Reuben) twice now (2008 & 2012) & will base our fishing vacations on the Kenai Peninsula Alaska around their support EVERY time. Alaska has its own unique draw & Mindy & Reuben provide everything one needs for a successful & enjoyable vacation. They know the rivers (Kenai & Kasilof) & consistently take us to the fish. They have contacts with the best guides in the area (for things they do not do like Fly-Ins) & set us up with winners. They have great accommodations in Soldotna - ON the water. And the clincher - they are just really nice people - fun to be with while enjoying great fishing. We plan on returning to Alaska a few more times & look forward to more successful fishing adventures - with AWFA.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Spent 3 days out of our week in Alaska salmon fishing on the Kasilof and Kenai Rivers with Reubin and Mindy. Their knowledge and outstanding experience of the rivers helped me catch a beautiful 60lb King Salmon! It wasn't just their impressive fishing skills which made our adventure so memorable, but their honesty and caring hospitality. First class all the way around.

I recommend that if you want to catch really nice fish with some really great people, choose Widespread Fishing Adventures. I'm going back, that's for sure!

They also hooked me up with Halibut fishing, which was a success as well.

Great Times!!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We did a half day trip on the Kasilof with Nathan the day after they closed King fishing on the Kenai. So we knew it was going to be tough fishing. Nathan did a great job with us and tried his best to give me and my kids a great chance at some fish. But unfortunately we were skunked. Not even a nibble. Not much you can do when the fish just aren't there.

However this was not the fault of a guide. This is just the way it goes. I would love to go on another trip someday and I'd use Nathan again. We had great conversations and a lot of laughs along with some great wildlife views. Next time we'll come later and fish for Silvers.