“Good Experience Fishing in Soldatna, Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Bob's Cabin & Guide Service
Orem, Utah
“Good Experience Fishing in Soldatna, Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was my first fishing trip outside of just casting into empty lakes. I was completely amazed with Alaska's majestic scenery and natural habitat.
Bob's Cabin & Guide services were great overall. Again, I don't have any other experiences to compare it against. Bob and his wife were very kind and friendly. However, at times I saw some frustration come out of Bob while we were fishing. One side of me is empathetic since I too have worked with tourists and know how difficult it can be to remain upbeat for extended periods of time over a season of time. However, that is what the customer is paying for. He was a little impatient when a fish was on our lines. Perhaps he was extra cautious in ensuring we would get our fish. Apparently, according to Bob, Silver Salmon were difficult this year in comparison to previous years. He noted that the day before us, his group didn't catch any. I only ended up catching one Silver over two days. Disappointing I didn't catch more, however, how can I be too disappointed when I caught the biggest fish I've ever caught in my life?
The charter they booked for us for the halibut fishing on the ocean (out of Anchor Point) was good and professional. The captain had a 9-11 year old boy that he had to remind home a few times to get out the way. That was a little annoying. I caught only a 10 pounder along with a few sand shark. Boy, I think I'll take up a weight lifting program before I do another halibut trip. My arms were so tired I forced myself to cast in the last two times. Maybe it was a good thing that I didn't catch a huge one because that would have been the end of my trip not having the strength to do any more.
The cabin we stayed at was very clean. The outside smelled as if Bob put on a fresh coat of waterproofing on the exterior. We had water pressure issues and the showering was interesting with the low pressure, but it added to adventure. Bob was upset to find out the issue, but we were fine. He allowed us to go to another unoccupied cabin to shower and use the amenities there.
The cabin was secluded as we had hoped. The walls were thin and I could hear the person next door to me toss and turn as well as his snoring habits. One room appeared to a bedroom for children as the cieling was low and the beds were short.
My review is just stating the facts and may appear derogatory in writing, however, I was enjoying every minute of it!! I was very blessed for even had the experience/opportunity!! And that's despite the almost incessant rain and cool weather (one needs to be prepared for the rain to keep from being miserable). Would I recommend Bob's Cabin to others? Yes, I would. If I had the chance to go again I would choose a different service just for the fact of trying something different to compare.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Flong123
fishguide, Owner at Bob's Cabin & Guide Service, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Silver salmon fishing during August/September of 2012 was a challenge. Unfortunately, it was some of the poorest fishing sucess that I have ever experienced in over 20 years on the Kenai River. Pound for pound, silver salmon put up an extraodinary fight. It can be difficult for novice (and sometimes experienced) anglers to get these fiesty fish up to the boat where they can be landed. This sometimes causes frustration for the guide, who wants the anglers to land the fish and have a sucessful, happy and memorable fishing trip.

Every person in this group (5 anglers) caught at least one silver salmon and several less desirable pink salmon. One of the anglers had a pink salmon on his line every few minutes. This species is fun to catch, but normally not desirable for eating.

The weather was nasty, cool and almost constant rain during the 2 days that this group fished with me.

Yes, I was frustrated to learn that there was water pressure issues at the cabin where these folks were staying. We strive to operate a FIRST CLASS fishing and lodging business. If our customers are not happy, we are not happy. Upon learning of the water pressure issue, I immediately offered this group our newest cabin to shower and relax.

Our newer cabins also have extra insulation in the walls between bedrooms to try to cut down or eliminate noise from the adjoining room.

Our fishing season normally runs from late May to October 1. We try to treat all of our customers with a FIRST CLASS experience, no matter when they arrive at the lodge.

Bob Standish
Owner

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Avila Beach, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I had a fantastic time at Bob's Cabin. They set up all of the fishing trips and everything went smoothly. Bob's Cabin is a great place to stay it is very neat and clean. Inside the lodge their are no available cooking facilities so plan accordingly. The cabins have a bbq grill so you can prepare your fish. Boy did we have fish. We had over 80 ibs of filets shipped home to us. Bob's made sure it arrived on schedule fully frozen. We are still enjoying Salmon and Halibut filets.

Bob was our guide on the Kenai. He did an awesome job. We caught our limits of King Salmon by 10am. It was my wife's first salmon and Bob was very patient and helpful. I also caught a nice 45 ibs. King. They also arranged a fly out fishing experience for us. Our Halibut reservation fell through but I just went over to Homer and booked a afternoon trip and caught another limit of Halibut.

You can make all your own reservations but it is really nice to have a seasoned fisherman who knows the area make the reservations for you. Bob has been guiding this area for a long time and knows what it takes to plan a successful trip.

Room Tip: Consider a Cabin unless you want to eat out every night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TunaSlayer
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My brother and I had never been to Alaska, so through the process of elimination on the internet and a number of phone calls, we arrived at Bob's. We still can't believe how lucky we were to have chosen them over everyone else advertising on the internet. Everything from a remote fly-in for salmon, a multi-species charter out of Seward, a Halibut charter in Cook Inlet, and of course, fishing the Kenai from the Lodge itself, went flawlessly. This IS NOT a standard fish camp, It's a Lodge that really knows how to find and catch fish. As Bob had told us beforehand, this year has been one of the worst Silver Salmon runs he has seen here, and yet, at the end of our week stay, we were only two fish short of our limit on Silvers. Bob has been on the Kenai for about 25 years and knows it better than I know my back yard and his better half, Kathy, is the supreme multi-tasker. She handles and cleans the Lodge, has breakfast ready whenever you have to leave (like 4:00 AM), has your handmade and handwrapped lunches (which are more than you can eat) bagged and ready for you as you leave along with typed directions and itinerary, and then "when she gets bored" she takes charge of the fish processing facility on their property, which cleans, portions, vacuum seals, and freezes your catch the same day, which is more work than you can imagine. And with all this going on, all of their facilities are immaculate all the time. You won't find that at your standard "fish camp"!
Bob and Kathy are totally dedicated to making sure your trip is as perfect as possible, and more important than that, they are two of the friendliest and most decent people you will ever meet.

Thanks,

Bob and Paul

goochland
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Bob does a terrific job. stayed in the main lodge for a week. Cathy made great lunches for us every day. They organized fly fisghing for trout, offshore trips (caught 235 lb. Halibut), Kenai salmon trips (guided by Bob), etc... You really will benifit from having someone with experience setting it all up for you, making sure you are prepared, sending you to the right spots, etc... I really don't know what they could do to improve. When we come back, won't even consider another spot. Thanks for taking such good care of us!

Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had a great time staying at the lodge from saturday to saturday. Did 5 trips including a fly out on our day off.......It was a last minute request that was handled effeciently and professionally by Bob and Kathy.....Kathy did a great job in organizing everything we needed from wake up to directions to lunch to (" don't forget your drink") listening to our fish stories when we got back.......... Guides were professional and friendly and fishing was great even if the Silvers were late coming up the Kenai.............Bob and the staff were up to all the tasks necessary to make it a memorable trip..............It was a long flight to and from but well worth the effort...........can't believe any other Lodge/Guide Service can be better than Bob's Cabins.............Thank you all.......Tom (NC)

Room Tip: They were all great
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Spent four fantastic days with my four brothers and a family friend. This was supposed to be the last item on our dad's bucket list but he passed away in July. Knowing we were doing this trip kept him alive much longer than any doctor thought. He was with us every day and was proud that we all not only got along but had one great time. Kathy was great providing accurate directions to our various fishing destinations and not to mention put together very edible lunches. The fishing guides were all professional and knew how to put us on the fish. The log cabin setting along the Kenai River provided a excellent backdrop for our daily outings. If we got back early we spent time talking on the deck enjoying a few libations. The other cabin guests were also entertaining and were great folks to trade tails.

1 Thank Bob B
Auburn, California
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Ventured to the Kenai Peninsula solo. This trip was awesome! Bob Standish of Bob's Cabin and Guide Service is an outstanding guide and host. Bob kept in continuous e-mail and phone contact. Bob made sure that, even though there were unfortunately no King Salmon in the area to fish, that you were still going to have a great day of guided fishing. Bob went out of his way to make sure that I was scheduled to catch fish! Had an awesome unscheduled flyout trip for Sockey. Had two days of Halibut fishing with Aaron Mahoney of Alaska Gulf Coast Expeditions. Aaron really knows what he is doing and has a great crew! Seward rock fishing was outstanding too! Oh and let's not forget Kathy! Kathy made sure I had clear and easy to follow directions to get to where I had to get to. Kathy runs a very clean lodge. The kitchen was always clean and smelling yummy. All the rooms at the main lodge were very clean and tidy. Not even any dust detected, even on any of the logs that make up the lodge! Slept great with the comfortable beds and cool breeze blowing through the windows. Thank you again Kathy for all the great breakfasts and lunches. All my fish was well cared for, vacuum sealed and frozen, then shipped to my door step. Almost forgot to mention Steve! Steve assisted Bob in preping my fish for shipping. Steve took time to talk and I just felt like I was at home. Bob's crew really made my Alaska experience unforgetable. My money was very well spent. I will definitely return to the Kenai peninsula if I can stay at Bob's Cabin!

Room Tip: Main lodge rooms are comfortable. Would not suggest for more than about 2 people. A child could st...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
#4 of 16 in Kenai

Been to Bob's Cabin & Guide Service? Share your experiences!