“Great Fishing Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Denise Lake Lodge
Baton ROuge
“Great Fishing Trip”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Overall this place is a great. This is a family owned business and if you can accept this you will love this place. We found the owner's and staff to be great. The owners were very friendly and shared stories and information. I felt that they helped create a great experience for our group. Jim the owner even provided a large sockeye fillet for us so we could compare it to the silver salmon we caught (all cooked to perfection on the grill). He also provided us with tastes of smoked salmon. We all could tell he really wanted us to have a great experience. I felt that he would have done anything possible to help us enjoy our time at the lodge.

We took a fly out fishing trip and all caught silver salmon. One person limited out, another caught one under limit and I caught 1 but I have very little fishing experience. Our guide put us on fish. The water was so clear we were basically sight fishing. It was really nice. The silver season had just started and like fishing in general in 2012 (alaska) it was slow. That being the case we were very pleased to have plenty of bites and some really good catches. The fresh silver are great eating and I still have a good bit at home in the freezer. The plane ride was one of the best things we did on our trip. We flew over glaciers and it was a great experience. Highly suggest this trip.

The next day we went on the lower Kenai river. The silver fishing was very slow for everyone. The pink salmon were their in mass and provided a great day of fishing. We all caught alot of pinks. They are not as good to eat but provided a very fun day of fishing.

This place provided a lot of bang for your buck. Fly outs are not cheap and from the price shopping we did you could not get a better deal anywhere in Alaska. The rooms were simple but had the basics (our cable worked). The location was very quite and relaxing. We were close enough to get beer and food but far enough away to enjoy the lodge. The logde is more like being at a friends house who has a seprate guest house. For our group this was great because in Alaska I was not looknig for a sheek resort. I wanted great fishing, a chance to meet local Alaskans, and quite relaxing stay. I found all this at the Dennise Lake Lodge at a price that is very hard to beat in Alaska. Oh yeah the breakfast was very good, and the provide lunches were enough to keep us full for a long day of fishing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank EverTrip1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at Denise Lake Lodge in late August of 2012 for a 7 day stay. Not at all what I expected or was promised. The first morning I was expected to get up at 3 A.M., eat breakfast, drive 65 my car miles in the darkness to go halibut fishing. They said it would take about 2.5 hours because of all the moose being hit on the road. Directions to the place were hand written and hard to read. I cancelled the trip and they never scheduled another halibut fishing trip. They said I had my chance. The owners are old and very cranky at times. No information was given out without asking specific question. Then it is straight to the point and no more info. Being my first fishing trip to Alaska I was expecting a lot more. I never did get to fly out and see the bears. Why I do not know and no one said anything. The cabin was clean but, extremely small with only 2 small beds. No chair. If I wanted something larger I had to pay more. The breakfast was excellent until the cook quit and the owners start cooking. It was editable. Fishing was poor by Alaskan standards. King salmon had closed in July and so did Sockeye. These closures happen every year at the same time. They failed to mention this when I made my reservations. I did catch a few small Rainbow trout and Dolly Virden. This was the rookie year for the guide(s) they provided. They had a hard time trying to find the right lure to use. They did try. I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT GO TO DENISE LAKE LODGE. The owners do not deserve your business. Too many other good BB with fishing to try.

Room Tip: Find a place that gives you the value you purchased and does not swapp cabins.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank d t
Green Island, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Lodge is in a very peaceful setting and is like a postcard picture when you arrive. Great location and view, abundant wildlife. The lodge is run by an elderly couple who use the living room as their own unfortunately. The living room is warm and inviting, however...lots of wood and charm. The TV in the living room has satellite reception, but it is tuned to CNN constantly by the elderly owners, which is not very interesting after a few days. After one hour, we had seen the "loop" that CNN runs. I felt like I was visiting my grandmother's house, and not a paying guest at a B&B. The TV in our room only received 6 stations, none of them had local news or weather. We could not plan for events, nor see local weather. But, we could watch CNN (as if we didn't get enough of that in the living room). There are no dressers for your clothes, and no closets. WiFi works in the living room, but not in the guest rooms. Good, hot showers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This lodge is beautifully situated on a lake on Kenai peninsular. Elaine and Jim are very warm, open and no frills couple who are extremely welcoming so you immediately feel at home. Elaine served delicious home baked cake/tart for breakfast amongst other goodies - but that tart I'll never forget! We felt very much at home in their company, they have kayaks to go out on the lake where the loons are nesting, and the terns (who dive-bombed us, we got too near!) amongst many other birds we identified. Very peaceful and relaxing, a wonderful retreat with wild life viewing and fishing.

Room Tip: WE only saw our room which had a wonderful view onto the lake, but there are cabins outside to rent...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The lodge (main building and some cabins) is situated on a nice and quiet lake. We stayed in a two bed cabin which meets all basic requirements.

The hosts and the innkeeper were really helpful and Jim knows a lot about fishing.
After having breakfast (even served at 3.30 a.m. when you have to leave early!) you don't need any food til night.

We liked the organized fishing trips and had a lot of fun, but we were not very lucky....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hospitality shown by everyone was first rate. No matter how early (3:30am) we had to get up to make our fishing dates, breakfast was always ready. And, it was always delicious. The last day we had eggs and reindeer sausage. Sack lunches were made and they were substantial and tasty.

Room Tip: We had downstairs rooms and they were quiet and one had a great view of the lake.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Just spent three days at the Denise Lake Lodge. For Alaska, this location is quite a value. The current fishing guide (Nathan) was really great and we landed our limit of silver salmon in about 2 hours. Unfortunately, the Lodge books halibut trips out of Ninilchik (Deep Creek) and we were "blown out," despite what turned out to be a beautiful day - not impressed with their charter operator.

Jim and Elaine were very nice and the food (including the fisherman's lunches) were great. The owners do everything on paper and there was a little trouble with some forgetfulness. Didn't dampen our spirits, though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
Best Western King Salmon Motel
Soldotna Inn
Soldotna Inn
#8 of 8 in Soldotna

Been to Alaska Denise Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!