“Basically a Motel 6 on the Kenai River”
Review of Kenai River Lodge

Kenai River Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Soldotna
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Basically a Motel 6 on the river, but lacking some basic maintenance
Benefits to staying at Kenai River Lodge :
-Hotel accepts dogs in a few rooms.
-excellent job on the backyard riverfront remodel, beautiful place to hang-out and possibly fish
-shoulder season price was semi-affordable,
-gave us 10% off room rate for the spotty Internet
-rooms semi-cleaned everyday (vacuuming and bathroom cleaning wasn't always done) with fresh yet well-worn linens on our schedule,
-nice sized mini-fridge/freezer and microwave
-picture window looking out on the river

Drawbacks to staying at Kenai River Lodge:
-lots of traffic noise, literally right next to the Sterling Highway
-TV from 1989, so old the universal cable remote control would not control TV for power or sound, also a useless DVD player also furnished at no charge and no one in hotel knows why it’s there or how it might be hooked up
-inconsistent Internet service
-thin walls, floor-ceilings- We heard all of our neighbor's conversations.
-on one evening vacuuming until 10 pm in room above us
-When remodel was completed, bathroom windows looking out on the parking lot were not replaced with privacy glass so the bathrooms have no privacy. Especially nice in evening when road construction workers return and unload in van just in front of window to light up Swisher Sweets just outside the clear as glass window.
-not well maintained, missing globe on light in bathroom entry area, thermostat trim falling off, furniture beat up, mattress less than firm and the one chair in room was broken and saggy, hence uncomfortable. Just not what one would expect at $95/night.
-The highlight was the nightly burnouts by the house renter or on-site manager in his ’68 Camaro
Verdict: If you’re not there to spend much time in your room resting or recuperating and you don’t mind the lack of privacy and lots of noise, it’s an ok place to stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid first floor and rooms near renter/manager house as a loud cougher was up until midnight...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DiegoCuesta
kenairiverlodge, Owner at Kenai River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

I am sorry that your stay wasn't up to your expectations. I hope that with your input I will be able to make sure that experience will not happen to anyone else! The Kenai River Lodge is under new ownership as of July 2012. We have already made improvements for almost everything that you had listed as your dislikes or we are currently working on updating those certain concerns.

Currently we have updated all of our towels, we have a new internet system and all of the rooms on the first floor have shades covering the windows to the bathrooms.

Right now we are in the process of updating our television sets and purchasing new linens.

Regarding the loud vehicle that person does not live here anymore.

Thank You for your input. I hope we can make your stay better next time!

Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed two days at the lodge. I would say more motel than lodge but that's just me. The room was clean, had a fridge, coffee pot & microwave.This is next to the main road so loud if you sleep with the window open.
Plenty of parking and check in staff was friendly.
The beds are not all that comfortable but for the rate I can't complain.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank snowshunakid
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I have stayed at this lodge through three owners since 2001. The lodge has changed little but the price has grown exponentially. In 2001, a double room cost $70/nt. Last year I was quoted 225! (same month and timeframe)

This place has an excellent fishing bank and if you have a lil experience fishing the Kenai from the bank, you will have a hard time not getting lucky here. The newest owners have spent a few dollars fixing up the bank fishing area, and there are a few things nicer, but paying the rate you would see in a lower 48 Wyndam for an Alaska motel 6 is hardly a deal.

I have been through 3 owners in this property and can say that little has changed since day 1. At 75/nt, it was a steal, at 225/nt they are the ones stealing. I would highly recommend staying here if you get a good rate. Otherwise, stay in town for a fraction of the cost and you can fish from the park right on the opposite side of the bank for free. Unfortunately, as time has passed along, so have the days of honest deals on the Kenai. River Front properties like this are far and few between and most choose to milk you dry for the convenience.

I have been fishing the Kenai area since I was 18, at 31, I know all of the good spots and most everything that you need to know as a visitor from the lower 48. I travel to AK in late July every year with 5-15 individuals in my party and I am more than willing to take a new sourdough under my wing.

Email me at Pakmann2k (at) gmail dot com. if you want any information. I will be traveling to AK on the last week of July and my buddies and I have a few spots left for a few newbies.

Room Tip: Tell them you stayed there with the previous ownr!
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pakmann2k
Reviewed December 18, 2010

This is my second visit to this property. During my first I rated it as a nice clean motel. In the two years that have passed since then, they have redone the room furnishings and spruced up the rooms considerably.

The rooms are spacious and offer a nice view of the Kenai river. The furnishings are very cozy although I would have appreciated a desk or table for work space and better room lighting. The wi-fi was very good and dependable. The cable TV wasn't.

Overall I was impressed with the property during the week that I stayed there. The room was and felt clean. The housekeeping staff did a good job daily and overall the property was comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank projectorfixer
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this Motel in August 2009, I caught two Silver Salmon right from their fishing dock, cleaned the fish on their "cleaning/Filet station" and cooked one on one of the many gas grills. Rooms were recently modernized and very clean and comfortable.
Drivable distance to Homer for a day of Halibut fishing, and resonable driving time from Anchorage.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maine-Guide
Reviewed December 25, 2008

This is a clean simple motel. It has been recently renovated. The rooms are clean and modest. We spent several days at the motel while working in the area.

While the rooms are clean and comfortable, the walls are paper thin. We could clearly hear conversations from some of the other, more transient guest.

The wireless internet did not work and the staff appeared clueless as to how to resolve it. A quirk that I found unusual but didn't present any major problems was that the office is frequently unattended for long periods. Calls to the front desk went unanswered more often than not.

This is not a fancy property but if you're looking for a comfortable place to spend the night, it'll do.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank projectorfixer
Reviewed August 10, 2004

If you like fishing, and you are in Soldotna, AK in July or August, then this is an ideal place for you. Located right on the bank of Kenai River, this motel's biggest attraction is its river frontage. The accomodation is plain and basic, but it has everything you need as a salmon fisherman. You can walk down to the river and cast your lures for whatever that is coming up the Kenai River. It has a fish cleaning table and a large freezer for the hotel guests. You can clean your fish and put it in the freezer and save you a bundle of money. I have come to Soldotna for many years, and compared to other riverfront B&B's and lodges, this is an economical way to cure your fishing fever.

14  Thank JMTMD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Aspen Hotel Soldotna
Kenai Airport Hotel
#2 of 5 in Kenai
Best Western King Salmon Motel
Diamond M Ranch Resort

Been to Kenai River Lodge? Share your experiences!