“Tides Inn - Petersburg Alaska”
Review of Tides Inn

Tides Inn
Tides Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Petersburg
Juneau, Alaska
“Tides Inn - Petersburg Alaska”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I just spent the month of March in Petersburg doing Construction work.
Along with my crew, four others, we stayed at the Tides Inn.
Everything about the stay was a good experience.
The rooms were clean and quiet, the breakfast was standard cerial and breads + waffles.
All of the staff were great, they even cooked us dinner a few nights.
I have another job in Petersburg next fall and this is where I will stay.
They are also the local AVIS car rental.

Room Tip: The waterfront rooms are worth the extra for the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Terre Haute, Indiana, USA
Reviewed May 11, 2012

So husband and I went to Alaska to take a photographic workshop on the M/V Northern Song (a great way to cruise the Inside Passage, by the way! We stayed overnight at the Tides Inn. The room was acceptable, the mattress was comfortable, and the water was soft (if you have read my other reviews, you know that this is a big plus for me). There was a stuffy odor to the room and the furniture is spartan and some of it should be replaced. The concern I noted was that, in order to accommodate all of the electrical appliances (lamps, refrigerator, microwave, and TV), the outlets had multiple plug adaptors (don't know how safe this is).

Staff was courteous. The room overlooked the harbor although we only got to see the buildings. In fact, one was in the process of being built; the pounding, drilling, and sawing woke us in the morning.

The inn is one street above the main street in Petersburg. It was easy to walk to restaurants, shopping, and points of interest. We rented a car at the inn which was a time-saver. Overall, we enjoyed the stay and returned following our cruise for an overnight before we flew home. Breakfast was very simple; we did not eat breakfast there but went to several restaurants.

The Tides was one of only a few places to stay and based on some of the other reviews, we took our chances. It wasn't great, but it was OK.

Room Tip: A room that does not overlook the harbor might be quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nightingale1972
Wrangell, Alaska
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We have stayed at the Tides Inn many times while our children played sports (from 9-year old Little League tournament through high school). The staff is very friendly and helpful and the location is great (close to town, the baseball fields and the gym). The rooms, however, need some tlc! After walking on the carpet for a couple of hours, our socks were BLACK! It was so filthy! And the furniture was ready for a trip to the dump. The mattresses (below the bedding) was stained and nasty. The sheets and blankets were clean but our non-smoking room reeked of cigarettes. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options in Petersburg so we stay here over and over. It's definitely time to put a little money into the hotel - new carpet and furniture are long past due!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank dnkpowell
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed at the Tides Inn during the Southeast Conference. Upon receiving directions to my room I was told I would have to go up a flight of stairs. I immediately asked for a lower level room as I have a bum leg. The front desk moved me with no problem, even though the hotel was completely full. The front desk was pleasant and helpful. My room had a full view of the local harbor, a fridge, microwave, free wireless, and a flat screen tv. It was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Many of my colleagues were also staying at the Tides Inn with no problems. The staff was beyond accommodating with providing rides to the conference, Sons of Norway Hall, and the airport.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank armstronrobert
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Listen, dig a bit deeper into your pockets and pay an extra $10-$20 and stay somewhere else.
My first reaction upon entering my room was a gasp... for air! The blend of mold, cleaner and dust was overwhelming. The mattress on the bed was at an angle (i.e. old) and the furniture was probably older than me!

I asked for my room to be changed and although it is better, it is only because I have a twin room and it looks like it isn't as used as the double room.

Luckily there is lots to do in Petersburg because just chilling in the room is sooooo not an option. Go elsewhere. please... do it for me!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebecca R
highlands ranch
Reviewed August 1, 2010

nice place with a great views, surpurb service and very clean comfy rooms. The 6 of our party only stayed one night and we needed a ride to the float plane Karen went out of her way to get us there with the shuttle van plus made a couple of trips for our things, We were going to a lodge for the week and Karen told us " Just give me a call" when you get back in to the harbor and I will get your party to the airport ! I wish the Lodge we stayed at was half as nice and helpful. Thanks again Karen Dave K.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank onefasttee
Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2010

The General Manager (Karen) was at the Alaska ferry terminal when we arrived at 3.45 AM to greet us and bring us to the hotel - what a pleasure! Lovely large room with panoramic view over the Wrangell Narrows and the town. Convenient location - just one block up from Nordic Drive (main street). Small but adequate continental breakfast with an IGA grocery store and 24 hour coin operated laundromat just across the street. Reliable WiFi plus computer in the lobby. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tides Inn? Share your experiences!