“Knik River lodge view” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Palmer
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Knik River lodge view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed at Knik River lodge for 1 night in August 2012. View from lodge is beautiful.
Ideally located if you plan also Knik glacier tour or helicopter tour starting from premises.
Quality of restaurant based on Alaska standards is very decent or even gourmet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Steven S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Woodward, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Used a Groupon to stay here, and helped it was close to the Knik Glacier Tours. Had supper, and spent the night in a clean and very nice cabin. You can also purchase a breakfast to be delivered to your cabin at the time of your choice. The supper was fun, and even sat at a table next to someone else from Oklahoma. The food was good, and the dessert one of the better ones we had to that date. If you have time opt for the helicopter tour. This would be beautiful setting for a gathering of friends or co-workers. The views were very pretty.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mustang2447
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our family did a vacation in Alaska for two weeks, and of all the places we stayed, this was by far our favorite. Its location is absolutely beautiful. It sits in a valley, so we had a 360 degree view of mountains. The cabins that you stay in are clean, cute, and simply comfortable . Our kids took a helicopter ride which originated at the lodge and they landed on Knik Glacier. They had a blast! The staff, specifically the owner, was extremely kind and knowledgeable. We decided to try the restaurant at the lodge, and we are so glad we did. The food was exquisite. In addition to the lodge itself being so nice and having the helicopter rides, our family took an airboat tour to Knik Glacier and that began just down the road from the lodge. Overall I would say the stay at this lodge was spectacular. When we visit Alaska again we will be sure to stay at the Knik River Lodge!

Room Tip: There are two rows of cabins, we stayed in the row that was further down the slope and closer to the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank apeno
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our family vacation started with a day trip to Knik River Lodge from Anchorage, The drive was beautiful. From the lodge, we took a helicopter tour and visited the dogsled camp at Troublesome Glacier. Everyone was extremely knowledgable and friendly. The helicopter ride was fun and beautiful, the dogsled camp was interesting and thrilling, and we had a delicious lunch at the lodge. We would highly recommend this adventure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Leslie411
New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We re-hashed our whole Alaska itinerary around being able to stay at Knik River Lodge based on their very schmick website and good reviews on TA. We booked a dinner, bed & breakfast package with the view to making this our "escape time" on this trip and taking advantage of the many daytrips on offer from the lodge. Unfortunately - we didn't actually end up staying and had to frantically book alternative accommodation in Wasilla (not easy in July) and re-arrange the final 4 days of our trip.
2 days before we were due to arrive, I received an email on my phone (lucky I had it with me and was checking my emails) to say that as the lodge wasn't busy, the staff had all been given time off and the restaurant would be closed for the first night of our stay and we should bring food with us to throw in the microwave??? As I wasn't able to reply to emails en-route, we decided to turn up & see what the story was. After driving 20 miles from the intersection of the Old Glenn Hwy through several roadworks sites, we arrived at a group of barren and deserted looking cabins perched on the hillside overlooking (not by) the top end of Knik River (not the beautiful river we had witnessed all along the drive in but delta fingers of the river & swamp coming off the glacier) This place is so far from what is presented on the website and the "restaurant" is in a tiny tent! There is no "Lodge" associated with this property AT ALL. It is a huddle of cabins and that's IT. When we queried the very vague staff member about the restaurant being closed she confirmed that was the case and we would have to make a minimum one hour return trip to Palmer in order to get dinner.
We advised her this was pretty unacceptable and that we would like to cancel our booking as it had pretty much ruined our whole plans. She then got the owner on the phone (who was in Anchorage) and he proceeded to successively abuse or laugh at me the notion that we wanted to cancel and couldn't understand the problem. Finally he agreed (on his word of honor) that he would refund our deposit and allow the cancellation. The next day he rescinded this promise on his word of honor and included the following as his excuse for "changing his mind on his word of honor"
<<The all leads me to believe there was something else going on way beyond a closed restaurant. So I will cancel your reservation but I am not ready to refund your deposit as you had all relevant information well ahead of time and voluntarily choose to alter your plans. Our normal cancelation policy is that anything canceled within 30 days is fully non-refundable>>

Interesting that guests are required to give 30 days notice to him but he is only required to give 3 days notice of withdrawal of services to guests........
I have almost 100 reviews on TA, 130 helpful votes and have been an active member for years. I have NEVER given a property such a low rating as I feel I should take some of the blame for any disappointment in properties I book if I have researched them. However, in this instance, not only was the property so far removed from what was presented and services withdrawn at short notice with the assumption that guests would get emails whilst in transit - the owner of the property was both rude and dishonest so I have no option but to give it this rating and urge potential guests to be vary wary of any dealings they have with the property and its owner. I am sure he will respond disparagingly to this review.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank tez823
Knik-River-Lodge, General Manager at Knik River Lodge, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thanks for your candid review, this is what makes Trip Advisor such a great tool for travelers!

Luckily the vast majority of our guests experience our property very different and we are proud to be a preferred accommodation for many Alaskan and international travel companies. We have guests from all over the world and 90% of our guests lists us as one of their favorite places in Alaska.

In your case I really think we did that could be reasonably expected. Two of our kichen staff members were sick, another one happened to have that evening off for her birthday and with our small team we sudenly did not have sufficient staff to prepare and serve food the way our guests have come to expect. So I decided that it would be better to close the restaurant and inform our guests to eat somewhere else for that one evening. This was only the second time in seven years that we had to do this, and luckily most of our guests were already in house and we could inform them personally. Of course everyone understood the situation and made alternate dinner arrangements. You were the only guest that was not in house so I sent you an email, advising to eat somewhere else before heading out this way or to bring something to eat. We alse informed you that the restaurant would be open again for breakfast and dinner the next day.

It seems like you are using this (in my opinion fairly minor) inconvenience as an excuse to get out of a booking you make. While I understand that the location does not appeal to everyone, we do our best to inform our guests about what to expect. Nowhere on the website is there a reference to a main lodge. The dining area is a tent (a beautiful 30' yurt that our guests love!) and it's featured on the website. The cabins are in great shape and can easily be compared to any nice hotel room in Anchorage plus we have a 360 degree video of the inside of the cabins.

I really think your picture does not do us justice. What is clear is that you did not want to stay with us and I think we treated you fairly by only charging the first night and not the second. When making your reservation you agreed to the terms that indicate a 30-days cancel period, which is very common in Alaska due to our short season. So normally we should have charged you for the second night as well. You are correct that I did not refund the first night and that was based on the fact that you gave me different information over the phone than you gave the person at the front desk. You told me on the phone you were not able to retrieve the email, and in consequent communication you admit that you did get the email, undersood the content but decided to come out here anyway, fully aware that the restaurant would be closed. So I don't think you can use that as an excuse to cancel last minute, be offensive to our staff and expect to be given preferred treatment.

We do occasionally have people that show up and have something else in mind and we always refund them their money. If people have to leave early because their flight has changed, or the ferry was cancelled or whatever can go wrong when you are traveling we always treat them well and refund their money or issue a gift certificate for future use.

But you showing up here to start yelling at my staff and myself and demanding a refund due to this minor inconvenience plus your treath to put a negative review on the internet if we don't refund your deposit is not a way we want to do business. So all in all it is probably good that you decided to make alternate arrangements. I do hope you were able to enjoy our beautiful state and could find something positive to write about other hotels on your trip.

We are very proud of the Certificate of Excellence that Trip Advisor issued us recently and truly believe the unbiased reviews are essential for our guests' preparation for a trip of a lifetime to Alaska. So we urge everyone to read the bad reviews (they are the most fun to read, don't you agree?) but to put them into perspective and read between the lines. We'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have, thank you!
cumberland, rhode island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Knik River Lodge was the perfect ending to our trip. We stayed here one night in July as we headed back to Anchorage for our flight home after our two week Alaskan adventure. I am so glad we did! The views were amazing! The dinner was one of the best we had in Alaska! And, most importantly, there was plenty of room for the kids to run around and have fun. In addition to the nature related activities mentioned in many other reviews (hikes, etc...), the lodge also has a tire swing, soccer balls, and field. And, these items are located right outside the restaurant. So, the kids could play until their dinner was ready while my husband and I enjoyed a glass of wine but could see them at all times! Everybody wins! The next morning, we enjoyed breakfast delivered to our door and ate it on our own deck. After a leisurely morning, it was then a short ride to Anchorage. PERFECT - this is the way I want to remember Alaska!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank hockeymom927
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at Knir River for 3 nights in July 2012 and found everything about it excellent.
Our Lodge and its location was set against a backdrop of the most stunning scenery.
Moose were regular visitors to both the main road into the lodge and on a couple of occasions whilst relaxing outside we were visited by Moose Calves. Brilliant.
The Highlight however was the Helicopter and Dog sledding trip. To land on a glacier and then mush a team of Alaskan huskies was exhilarating and being able to get so close to these wonderful dogs was an exceptional experience. Superb and well worth the money.
There were so many other trips available in and around the area and in particular some very good hikes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Philip S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel
Eagle Hotel
Eagle Hotel
#8 of 12 in Palmer
Alaska Adventure Unlimited Chalets

Been to Knik River Lodge? Share your experiences!