“Nice cabin but management dropped the ball”
Review of Knik River Lodge

Knik River Lodge
Ranked #1 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Palmer
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Nice cabin but management dropped the ball”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

For a relaxing night away from home we spent one night near the end of the 2011 season. Check-in was easy and the young couple managing the place were pleasant.

The cabin was nice. Plenty of room for two, a large bed and a twin in the room, nice and spacious enough bathroom, and nice little kitchen area with a small fridge, coffee pot, and microwave. The cabin appeared to be relatively new and was clean.

We ate in Palmer so we did not need dinner in the Yurt. We did order the breakfast for the next morning. It was okay-nothing to be excited about but high quality enough to last us until we were back near restaurants for a hot breakfast.

Unfortunately, despite the positives of the place it turned into a long, very boring night. We could find no trails to hike or climb anywhere near the cabins even though we were in a place people would like to hike around a little. The only places to walk were down the road coming in (which led to the highway and also had a motorcycle zipping back and forth) and a little trail that went only several yards and ended with a No Trespassing sign because behind the sign was a storage area for the lodge. We weren't interested in walking down to the highway because if we wanted to walk along a road with autos and motorcycles we could have stayed home. We wanted to climb and not do so next to cars, but with no trails in sight, we went back to our cabin.

We knew there was no TV but we'd been told there was a television and DVD player with a good selection of movies. We brought a couple of our own movies and settled in to watch them only to discover the DVD player was broken. Management came to look at it and decided there was no saving it. We asked for a replacement but were told there were no replacements. We asked if they could get one from another cabin and we were told no. Good management would have brought their own DVD player in the for the night if there were no other options or asked another cabin's guests if they were not going to use theirs (there were other guests in a large group who were having a great time together visiting, drinking, and laughing who would have been a good bet for not being interested in watching movies that evening).

We got out our iPad but we could not connect to the lodge's wireless Internet. Management could not get us connected and they did not know what the problem was. No movies, no Internet, no place to hike.

Management suggested we read but there was only one small dim lamp in the entire cabin! I said we had our own reading material but we couldn't read because there was no reading lights in the cabin. Not one. The cabin was dark save the one dim light, unless we wanted to hang out reading in the bathroom all night. The manager heard me say we could not read because we had no light to read by, but he did not respond. He just went home for the night. Again, a good manager would have gone to his own cabin and brought in at the very least a reading lamp for us if the Lodge had none in its supplies! Instead, they just left us in the dark with nothing to do all night; a very long night because after a long-term marriage there is only so much to talk about for hours-on-end. We played a few games together on the one little iPad between us and then went to sleep early out of pure boredom.

Because of the lack of interest in providing us Anything, not even a reading light, when we didn't have any of the offered amenities for passing time, for the price of what is costs to stay in places in Alaska, I doubt I'll ever return. Friendliness and a clean cabin are not enough to justify the price.

4 Thank lookwestward
Knik-River-Lodge, General Manager at Knik River Lodge, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Hello, sorry to read you had some technical trouble during your stay!

We did have a couple of DVD players and reading lights break and ran out of spares during the busy season. This has been corrected and all the DVD players, and lights are back in working order. the internet has received it's second major upgrade and now offer more bandwith and a srong signal to all cabins. We are lucky to have internet out here at the end of the road, but until we get fibre we'll have to live with 'old fashioned' DSL and limited speeds. So streaming media will probably remain intermittend for another one or two years...

We did have some land ownership issues emerge about the previous trail that has been in service for many years. We are happy to report the new trail is ready thanks to relentless work by our good friend Roger Brul (thanks Roger !). The trial goed out 2 miles to the small kettle lake and a brand new lookout point over the Knik Glacier. The trail starts right at the lodge and is for foot traffic only.

Let us know if you come back to Alaska, we would love to make it up to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We decided to host our wedding, including overnight stays, at the Knik River Lodge in August of 2011. We can't say enough good things about the lodge. The views from the grounds are absolutely spectacular. The cabins are impecibly clean and cozy. The owners were beyond accomodating, and really took a personal interest in making sure our wedding was something we would never forget. The food was delicious, and the glacier tour was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. A special thanks goes to one of the owners, Evelynne, for all the special "little" touches she took care of. I would recommend this lodge to anyone and everyone for a fantastic an relaxing place to stay in Alaska. Absolutely beautiful & stunning. We will be back for another visit for sure!

2 Thank AmandaMark0811
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I bought a 2 night stay thru Alaskarewards.com. I took my dad there for a nice peaceful stay. The cabins are perfect, just enough space for what you need with all the amenities you might need (except TV, but they do have a good selection of DVDs to choose from. But really, you're not going there to watch TV! hahaha) The view from the front porch is beautiful. I loved having my morning coffee on the porch and reading my book there later in the afternoon. Everyone on staff was really very nice. My hat's off to Chef Bruno for a fantastic meal in the Yurt. Dad had the Beef Wellington and I had Chicken in a lemon cream sauce with mushrooms and pasta. I really recommend having at least one meal in the yurt. I still can't believe its only 1 hr away from Anchorage and very close to Palmer, so we were able to go to the State Fair too. Dad has already told me he wants to go again in the spring time. I think I'll try to go on wither the helicopter ride or jet boat ride to the glacier next time. Can't wait! See you there!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
muncie, in
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I had purchased a Groupon for 2 nights at the lodge so I was very excited to use this for my birthday. We stayed July 22nd through July 24th.

We were greeted by a lovely girl and had no issues checking in whatsoever. We were told there was no cable/satellite TV, but they had a great selection of DVD's to pick from and we helped ourselves.

Breakfast was good: fresh bread (which is delicous!!!!!!), fresh baked muffins (apple cinnamon and banana when we were there, also delicious), juice, fresh fruit, and an assortment of jams and butter. It's an extra expense ($14/day), but it satisfied us!

The cabins are BEAUTIFUL and spacious enough for me. I liked that they had included a mini fridge and microwave, although we never used the microwave. We did use the coffee pot as well, which was nice. We had 2 beds in our cabin as well.

Someone complained about the water being sulfuric. They are in a remote part of Alaska, honestly what were you expecting? I'm sure it's well water and hello? That's what it smells like. My grandparents have well water and so I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me. I was thankful for a flushing toilet, hot shower, and running water in general.

The dinner I had on July 23rd wasn't good, to be honest. I had the filet mignon with a small salad, au gratin potatoes, and roasted veggies. The sides were all good, but the filet was not. I ordered medium well (pink in the center) and it was really rare in the center. It tasted off and was a pale brown color. I ate about half of it before having to give it to my boyfriend as I have a squeamish stomach. However, like I said the veggies and potatoes were delicious as well as the bread!

My boyfriend had the seafood medley (halibut, crab, scallops). He ate the scallops before I could get a chance to taste them. It was my first time having crab, and it was delicious. Nice and sweet. I tried the halibut though and it didn't seem cooked all the way through as it was still translucent in some areas. With my experience with fish it should be nice and flaky and white when cooked, not translucent. It just wasn't cooked all the way through.

They had a substitute chef in the night before, which the manager informed me when he contacted me via e-mail about my meal and offered to refund us our money. I gave him both of our contact numbers and he refunded our money with no issues.

As far as the person saying they only clean ever 3 days, that wasn't my experience. We'd left for the day and came back and our beds were all made, so it clearly has changed.

I'm not sure if I'd bring kids here if I had any. It's a nice place for a couples retreat!!!

They offer discounts to Alaskan residents.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank perdantasterx
Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We where here on a group tour with 10 people traveling with SNP. Everybody got a realy nice room/cottage. The best beds whe have slept in in Alaska. Also the diner and breakfast where of a very high quality. Especially loved the breakfast being served to your room with freshly baked bread, delicious!
If you have the time do take a helicopter tour to the glacier, spectacular!
Hope to visit the lodge in the near future again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Anchorage
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The fully equipped cabin provided just the serenity we needed for a fast get away from responsibilities in Anchorage. While tourists seem to have found this place, it is unfortunate that more locals don't know about it. The restaurant served probably the best salmon I've had!

2 Thank ancakresident
Shingletown, California
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Upon the suggestion of my niece & nephew of Eagle River my husband & I were delighted by your service, cleanliness and the natural beauty of our surroundings.
It would be to your advantage if a corkage fee would be available for those who would like to bring a bottle of their favorite wine to their meal.
With great appreciation for the return of my misplaced ipod - Thank you.
I highly recommend your establishment for a unique Alaskan experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Teddy_Tjaden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Pioneer Motel
Moose Wallow Cabins
Moose Wallow Cabins
#3 of 12 in Palmer
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Knik River Lodge? Share your experiences!