“Highly Recommended”

Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Palmer B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our honeymoon, on our way to Denali. The cabin we stayed in was adorable and the perfect little getaway after a day of white water rafting. Liz was great and we loved meeting the dogs. Do your own breakfast is genius! Would highly recommend the Hatcher Pass!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abby K

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed several days at Hatcher's Pass B & B in June 2012. It was one of the best places we have ever stayed. Clean, comfortable, and wonderful breakfast food. Liz is a gem. Hospitality is her gift. Son really enjoyed playing with Amarita the labrador. Fond memories that we want to repeat again soon. Thank you Liz!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Easy to book, property is exactly as described, owner is helpful and friendly. I arranged a late arrival with no problem. I communicated with the owner during my stay by phone and in person and had everything I needed. 13 degrees below zero and i was toasty warm. Conveniently located to summer and winter outdoor activities. Independence Mine is just up the road and is a must.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank David N
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I spent June 25th, 2012 at Hatcher Pass B&B. This was the last night in our cruise/road trip. We drove down from Denali that morning and spent a leisurely day along the route and stopped in Wasilla to see the Iditarod museum. We had initially booked into a suite in the house, but were happy to be upgraded to a Grande cabin. The cabin was quite comfortable and very roomy. Liz stocked the fridge with foods to make breakfast - eggs, sausage, muffins and some pastry. Very good stuff, and it was nice to just whip up a nice hot breakfast in the morning.

The cabin was extremely well stocked with everything we could need. We were very cozy, happy to be able to turn on a TV and get local news, and happy for wifi. It made all the check-in easy for our flight the next day and let us make a couple last minute queries for our last day's activities.

This B&B is just down the road from Independence Mine. We didn't have solid plans for our day, but Independence Mine was a possibility. We went up there and wished we had planned a little more time for it. A lot of the mine is still visible and the drive up was very pretty. As our flight the next evening wasn't until 9:30, we drove out to the Matanuska glacier the following day and were able to walk out there and be very close to it all. This was also a very worthwhile excursion.

Hatcher Pass B&B was a great last stop and offered us a nice stopping point between Denali and Anchorage. It also allowed us some flexibility so that if our weather turned bad, we could easily have skipped Matanuska and gone in to Anchorage to see the museum there or some other activity. We were far enough out of Anchorage that it made the other stuff easy, but not so far out that we couldn't head into town if our plans needed to change.

The B&B is out in the woods (like most of Alaska) but across the street from some kind of maintenance garage. If you don't like the view of the garage, just go sit out on the other side of the cabin and you'll just be looking at any other beautiful wooded lot in AK. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean D
Reviewed December 6, 2012

When making reservations I told the manager that we wouldn't be in until later in the evening, she left the door unlocked for us and had the fridge fully stocked with breakfast food. Cabin was cute and very clean. Would recommend it to family or friends anytime.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently had a very poor interaction with Hatcher Pass B & B. My group made a reservation for 2 nights over the holidays to rent 3 of their cabins. Then 2 weeks later were notified in a very unapologetic email that one of the cabins was no longer available so they would not be able to accomodate our group. When i called the next day the owner informed me that 1 of the cabins was not available to begin with at the time we made the reservation, that they had made a mistake-this i can understand, things happen. But instead of trying to figure out a fix to the situation they just went ahead and rented out the other cabins we had reserved before they even contacted us! Not very impressed with our first attempt with this place...

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank mike l
HatcherPassLiz, Owner at Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

I am truly sorry that this booking error was made for this group, and I did apologize for this inconvenience in my e-mail. I also provided the name of another business nearby that could provide accommodations for them. Again, I am very sorry this created a bad experience for this gentleman.
An error was made during a vacation I was on, while my inn sitter was working at the B&B. I currently have guests that are renting a cabin after being displaced from a flood we had. At first estimation they thought they would only need a couple of months here, which would have them moving out before Christmas, so their cabin showed as available, Upon my return from vacation and getting updated information from these folks, they realized they would need to be here much longer than the two months estimated. I did not feel I could tell them they needed to move out, and the only remaining cabins that I had would not adequately accommodate a party of 12 adults, 5 children/infants and two dogs. Again, I am very sorry for this inconvenience for this group,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at Hatcher Pass B & B in August and loved it. The cabin was clean and cozy and we were very happy with the breakfast foods provided which we could cook ourselves at whatever time we wanted to get up. We especially liked the little heater which was easy to use and quick to respond to get the temperature just right. Hatcher Pass B & B is a great place to stay as it is close to so many interesting things to see and do. Hanging baskets of flowers and chairs on the little porch were a nice touch and added to a great photo of my husband enjoying his cabin stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
#3 of 12 in Palmer
Knotty Pine B&B
Knotty Pine B&B
#4 of 13 in Palmer

Been to Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!