“Would not recommend. No hostess. Lousy breakfast”

Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Ranked #2 of 13 Palmer B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I have already left a review on this site but it doesn't seem to be here any longer even though it was only left a week ago. This is very mysterious. I am putting my point across again as I feel it's important that people know what could happen to them when staying here. We stayed at this place for one night a couple of weeks ago after booking about 7 months previously. We arrived to a note on the door saying the hostess was away overnight and to come in and make ourselves 'at home'. Needless to say it was a disaster. We wanted a cup of tea but only coffee had been left. Even if we liked coffee there was no milk. Luckily we had our own tea bags so we had to use them. No-one to ask for directions on where to go for dinner and although she had left a 'friend' in charge we gave up after knocking 3 times to try and get her attention. The dog whined for hours and we didn't know whether we should let it out as it kept going to the door. We had dog hair all over our socks as we had a note to say take our shoes off. Breakfast was terrible. 1 banana, 1 muffin, 1 piece of fruit bread with no butter or spread and a tub of yoghurt really didn't suffice. We had to raid her 'out of bounds' fridge in her kitchen for milk and butter. This was our last night in Alaska and with 38 hours of travel ahead of us to get back to Australia we had counted on a decent B&B breakfast to help us on our way. Obviously this didn't happen. The hostess let us down completely and should have given us the option to stay elsewhere instead of us finding out when we arrived after winding our way through all the road works. I wouldn't recommend to anyone as if she does this to someone once, it will happen again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lyn H
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2010

I apologize profusely to these guests. We had a critical family situation 3000 miles away and were able to get an innsitter who had done very well for us in the past, before we flew out that same evening these guests were arriving. I put together the best breakfast I could on such short notice before we left. I display 24 kinds of teas in the dining room. I'm sorry none of these were pleasing to these guests. I also apologize that my innsitter wasn't able to leave her day job in time to get here before these guests arrived. It looks hopeful that my Dad's lung cancer may be treatable, but I'm sorry that our needing to leave came at the expense of ruining these guests' vacation in Alaska.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed here for a few days in late July 2010 - great place! It's right off the main Alaskan highway and is perched atop a big hill with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains (local road construction recently cleared more trees to open up the view even more). Karen, the owner, doesn't a super job in running the place. The breakfasts were top notch. I liked the three seating times for the meal. It gives you an opportunity to eat with other visitors and get their recommendations on what to visit in the area. Karen is also very helpful in that respect. I mentioned to Karen about reading of "Monkey Brain Pastries" on previous customer stays, and she made them for us the next morning (OMG – delicious!) The WIFI is free and works fine. I like the lending library of videos & DVD's she has in the main house. They are good to bring back to your cabin and view while resting (I watched one on the Iditarod Race). If I were forced to write one bad thing, it would be hard, but it would be about the massive road construction going on right below the B&B. A bit noisy and messy but not a big deal.

I've been to over 90 countries in the world and have stayed in many places. This B&B is top notch for the area and what you pay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2010

Thank you for the very nice review! One point to clarify is that I make delicious sticky Monkey Bread and it doesn't involve any monkey parts! --Karen

Reviewed August 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed in one of the cottages for 7 nights and were happy with everything. The cottage was very nice and roomy and had a small stove and fridge in the kitchen/living room area. Breakfast was always good and always had good conversation with Karen and the other guests. Karen's husky little girl is a beautiful dog but sometimes would rather be left alone... funny...my wife says the same thing about me! LOL! We would highly recommend this B&B! And for those that aren't big on sharing bathrooms or complain about thin walls the cottages are the way to go! Alot of tourist sites nearby or by daytrip...we put over 1200 miles on the rental car checking out all the sites...but that was our choice. Would stay again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My family and I stayed one night in Palmer at the Alaska Garden Gate. We had been touring Alaska in an RV and needed a home without wheels for a night. Karen's lovely home and bountiful breakfast was a perfect stopping point for us. We also enjoyed the lovely town of Palmer. My husband and I stayed in a new cottage while my mom and ten-year-old stayed in a spacious room in the main house. Both accomodations were sparkling clean, comfortable, and offered spectacular views. Karen is doing exactly in life what she is supposed to be doing, for she couldn't do one thing more to make bed and breakfasts guests feel welcomed, cared for, and pampered. Thank you again, Karen!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed at this B&B for 1 night in early August.
The location was fantastic the B&B is set on a hill with nice views and in a lush, green pleasant setting. There is a nice view of the Knik Glacier from the lounge room.
Our room was nicely decorated with a spa bath and a separate bathroom. There was also a small fridge, microwave, TV, and a 2-seater lounge suite.
Breakfast was ok but you have to chose a time to have it the night before.
The bed was a queen size and very comfortable. Our hostess was very pleasant and helpful.
We would stay here again.

Pictures are attached.

Happy traveling.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Stayed here after a 6 day backcountry camping trip and the new luxury cottage was great. Awesome view of Knik Glacier, nicely landscaped grounds, nice king sized bed, oversized jacuzzi tub, fireplace, sitting room and kitchen. Palmer is a great location, close to Anchorage, Hatcher's Pass and Talkeenta. Hot homemade breakfast included each day. Karen is a very friendly and helpful host. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We had a fantastic stay at this B&B. We opted for the 8:30 breakfast. From oatmeal with fresh berries to ham and egg casserole the food was always delicious and plentiful. We stayed in the forest haven suite in the main house. The suite was spacious and comfortable. Location was very centrally located for day trips both north and south. The house rules were not too burdensome and made for comfortable sleeping in a house with lots of strangers.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast
Knotty Pine B&B
Knotty Pine B&B
#4 of 13 in Palmer

Been to Alaska Garden Gate B & B? Share your experiences!