“Extremely good value, spacious cabin, good breakfast.”

Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Ranked #3 of 12 Palmer B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Extremely good value, spacious cabin, good breakfast.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We can HIGHLY recommend, The Alaska Garden Gate B & B and cottages, which are a short drive from
Palmer, in a very pleasent garden setting, with a great view of the Knik Glacier and Chugach mountains,
we had the Evergreen Retreat, and could not have been more pleased or comfortable, - two bedrooms,
and a lounge which has a couch, TV, and 2 big windows for natural light.
The bathroom is well set up, and has spare towels, a substantial breakfast is supplied in your cottage,
and unlike some hotels, the parking and WiFi are FREE.
Thanks Karen and Camille, our short stay at your property, made our 17th anniversary, and our first visit
to Alaska a very special and memorable one. Stayed August 2013 - R and M - Australia.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
It was a pleasure to meet you and get to talk with you a little bit! Thank you so much for choosing our B&B as part of your special anniversary trip!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was a very nice duplex cottage, quiet, full kitchen, comfortable beds, nice shower and bathroom, view of Knik Glacier from our window. We recommend this place highly if you are staying in the Palmer area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! It was nice to meet you and host your stay.
--Karen
Mattapoisett, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Karen, at Garden Gate, runs a very good operation, clean, efficient, self contained duplex and cabin units. Located midway between Palmer and Wasilla makes for easy access. View of Knik glacier across the new Trunk Road highway. Convenient location for all aspects of the Matanuska valley area. Had a great visit up the road to Independence Mine State Park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with other travelers. I appreciate it! It was nice to have you here. I'm glad you enjoyed the natural beauty and activities we have around here!
-Karen
Buena Park, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My son and I stayed in one of the cottages for 4 nights. It had a queen size bed and a twin size sofa bed. We had our own kitchenette. They provided coffee for the coffee maker, breakfast was left in our fridge the night before. I loved the muffins and quiche!! I wish I could have enjoyed the grounds more but we were out every day. I did lots of research before deciding on this place and I was very happy with my choice. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for putting in a review! I'm glad you two had a good time here with your busy days sightseeing! It was a pleasure to meet you and host your stay,
Karen
Alaska
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We found this super cute b&b at www.bringfido.com at the last leg of our unplanned trip to Valdez during Memorial Day weekend. Not many places accept big dogs and if they do, they are already booked so we hoped and prayed that AK Garden Gate B&B would have an availability. When Karen called back, we high-tailed over and to our surprise the b&b was a total gem!! So thankful for Karen’s gracious hospitality!! We stayed in the Forest Haven Guest Apt. which is located under the main house – what a lovely, spacious apt with a fireplace, small kitchenette with a breakfast nook. It was quiet (except when our dogs barked probably because of a moose or folks walking pass the apt.), comfy and cozy. For breakfast we had yummy quiche, blueberry muffins and bananas. I highly recommend Alaska Garden Gate B&B.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our B&B! We look forward to having you back again. -Karen
Orange, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Karen immediately upgraded our room for the original price when our smaller unit was not available. We liked the detached units. it is above the highway, but accommodations are immaculate, very modern and comfortable. Breakfast was fine and placed in the room as is the custom in many places in Alaska. We try to be flexible and adapt to different practices when we travel and not be rigid about minor details and so we highly recommend the Alaskan Garden Gate B & B.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
It was nice to meet you and thanks for staying with us! We like offering upgrades if we have any openings in our Luxury Cottages, just to make your vacation a little extra special!

The two Luxury Cottages are perched closest to the edge of our hill, where Trunk Road is below us, because we wanted the Luxury Cottages to have the most premium views of Knik Glacier and the Chugach mountains. We have a sweeping view from our high location. As our Mat-Su Valley grows, there is more traffic, even out here in the country. It's been uncharacteristically HOT (in the 70 and 80s!!) so many guests have opted to have their windows open at night. Such warm temperatures are almost unheard of in our area, so recently we know guests have been hearing more road noise. Both the ceiling fan in the bedroom and the white noise machine in each of the cottages' bedrooms help make a great sleeping environment. --Karen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Cute accommodations overlooking a busy four-lane highway. Clean and modern. Shamelessly misrepresented and overpriced. Breakfast consists of: omelet prepared afternoon before by host, wrapped in cling wrap and placed on a paper plate, NO COFFEE (but a coffee maker with filters is available for your use), two literally and visibly spoiled oranges, an envelope of instant oatmeal, an English muffin with portion of jam, and bottle of orange juice for each guest. All items placed in your mini-fridge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank H H
I'm glad that you found your accommodations comfortable and clean. I apologize that there wasn't a full coffee can in your cottage--that was a mistake. I live in the main house, 30 yards away from the cottage you stayed in, so I'm available to help! I show every guest the sign above the coffee maker with our info, like the internet password and how to contact me. Guests can either walk over to our house to find me, or call or text! We try to make it easy, and we stress that if we've overlooked anything, we'd like to make it right. I specifically put a handwritten note in each cottage and apartment this year that says we're happy when people take the time to post a review on TripAdvisor, but please, if there's something that we can improve while you're staying, please ask us!

I strongly object to your saying that we are misrepresenting and that we are overpriced. We are not the cheapest, but for clean, modern and full amenities, we offer very good value compared to other lodging in our region. The breakfast you describe is exactly what we advertise and is more than an average "continental" breakfast. We prefer to offer a more full breakfast (in a basket in your own kitchen) so for those who want a protein, there are eggs that are easily reheated. Each day I bake quiches (Salmon Dill with our Copper River King salmon, or reindeer sausage, or Quiche Lorraine, or veggie, among them) or make omlettes which we cover and place in your breakfast basket in addition to choices like yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, juice and pastry. Selections change each day because many of our guests stay a week or more with us. I take pride in offering something different each day while they're here. Some days I bake fresh banana bread, wild cranberry bread or blueberry muffins, and other days it'll be English muffins or breads that are store-bought. Some days I mix in the store-bought items like Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches or boiled eggs so people who aren't 'into" quiche have something different. While it's a challenge to meet every need to be gluten free or dairy free or no eggs, we try to make sure there's something for everyone.

As the president of the B&B Association of Alaska, the chief complaint I see come to our association from visitors is "all I got for breakfast was a muffin and a juice." There are many fine B&Bs who still cook a hot, made to order breakfast in their house, but the majority of Alaska B&Bs now offer a type of continental breakfast. Those of us who strive for high standards try to make it much more than "a muffin and a juice." I am very open to guests' feedback and seek to keep current on breakfast trends.

I also strongly object to the one "dot" rating that this guest has given us. While guests may not realize how keenly important TripAdvisor reviews are to my small business and reputation, I can tell you that it has a very negative impact. I'm very sorry that this guest did not have coffee when he was ready to enjoy it, but a quick call to me could have remedied that! One "dot" puts us in the same category as the icky places with curly hairs on the toilet, drug deals in the room next door, and bar fights downstairs. That is not at all what we offer our valued guests. We hope future guests will give us the opportunity to share our little cottages and stunning mountain and glacier views with them. --Karen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn
Knotty Pine B&B
Knotty Pine B&B
#4 of 12 in Palmer

Been to Alaska Garden Gate B & B? Share your experiences!