Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Pioneer Motel(Palmer)(Great Value!)
$67
$48
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel(Wasilla)(Great Value!)
$79
$77
Travelocity
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn(Wasilla)(Great Value!)
$100
$97
getaroom.com
$52
$50
$49
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsb bthe ownerliving roomknik glacierbig bathroombath towelsjust like homenice cottageslovely breakfastmidnight sunthe location is perfectdefinitely recommend this placespectacular viewseach morningkitchen facilitiesenjoyed our staygreat place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Karen immediately upgraded our room for the original price when our smaller unit was not available. We liked the detached units. it is above the highway, but accommodations are immaculate, very modern and comfortable. Breakfast was fine and placed in the room as is the custom in many places in Alaska. We try to be flexible and adapt to different practices when we travel and not be rigid about minor details and so we highly recommend the Alaskan Garden Gate B & B.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

It was nice to meet you and thanks for staying with us! We like offering upgrades if we have any openings in our Luxury Cottages, just to make your vacation a little extra special!

The two Luxury Cottages are perched closest to the edge of our hill, where Trunk Road is below us, because we wanted the Luxury Cottages to have the most premium views of Knik Glacier and the Chugach mountains. We have a sweeping view from our high location. As our Mat-Su Valley grows, there is more traffic, even out here in the country. It's been uncharacteristically HOT (in the 70 and 80s!!) so many guests have opted to have their windows open at night. Such warm temperatures are almost unheard of in our area, so recently we know guests have been hearing more road noise. Both the ceiling fan in the bedroom and the white noise machine in each of the cottages' bedrooms help make a great sleeping environment. --Karen

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Cute accommodations overlooking a busy four-lane highway. Clean and modern. Shamelessly misrepresented and overpriced. Breakfast consists of: omelet prepared afternoon before by host, wrapped in cling wrap and placed on a paper plate, NO COFFEE (but a coffee maker with filters is available for your use), two literally and visibly spoiled oranges, an envelope of instant oatmeal, an English muffin with portion of jam, and bottle of orange juice for each guest. All items placed in your mini-fridge.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank H H

I'm glad that you found your accommodations comfortable and clean. I apologize that there wasn't a full coffee can in your cottage--that was a mistake. I live in the main house, 30 yards away from the cottage you stayed in, so I'm available to help! I show every guest the sign above the coffee maker with our info, like the internet password and how to contact me. Guests can either walk over to our house to find me, or call or text! We try to make it easy, and we stress that if we've overlooked anything, we'd like to make it right. I specifically put a handwritten note in each cottage and apartment this year that says we're happy when people take the time to post a review on TripAdvisor, but please, if there's something that we can improve while you're staying, please ask us!

I strongly object to your saying that we are misrepresenting and that we are overpriced. We are not the cheapest, but for clean, modern and full amenities, we offer very good value compared to other lodging in our region. The breakfast you describe is exactly what we advertise and is more than an average "continental" breakfast. We prefer to offer a more full breakfast (in a basket in your own kitchen) so for those who want a protein, there are eggs that are easily reheated. Each day I bake quiches (Salmon Dill with our Copper River King salmon, or reindeer sausage, or Quiche Lorraine, or veggie, among them) or make omlettes which we cover and place in your breakfast basket in addition to choices like yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, juice and pastry. Selections change each day because many of our guests stay a week or more with us. I take pride in offering something different each day while they're here. Some days I bake fresh banana bread, wild cranberry bread or blueberry muffins, and other days it'll be English muffins or breads that are store-bought. Some days I mix in the store-bought items like Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches or boiled eggs so people who aren't 'into" quiche have something different. While it's a challenge to meet every need to be gluten free or dairy free or no eggs, we try to make sure there's something for everyone.

As the president of the B&B Association of Alaska, the chief complaint I see come to our association from visitors is "all I got for breakfast was a muffin and a juice." There are many fine B&Bs who still cook a hot, made to order breakfast in their house, but the majority of Alaska B&Bs now offer a type of continental breakfast. Those of us who strive for high standards try to make it much more than "a muffin and a juice." I am very open to guests' feedback and seek to keep current on breakfast trends.

I also strongly object to the one "dot" rating that this guest has given us. While guests may not realize how keenly important TripAdvisor reviews are to my small business and reputation, I can tell you that it has a very negative impact. I'm very sorry that this guest did not have coffee when he was ready to enjoy it, but a quick call to me could have remedied that! One "dot" puts us in the same category as the icky places with curly hairs on the toilet, drug deals in the room next door, and bar fights downstairs. That is not at all what we offer our valued guests. We hope future guests will give us the opportunity to share our little cottages and stunning mountain and glacier views with them. --Karen

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed in the Birch Hideaway Apartment. The apartment is nicely decorated and the grounds were well landscaped. The bed was comfortable and the many windows and heater/fireplace allowed us to adequately vary the temperature. The kitchenette was stocked with all needed pots, dishes, and utensils. Breakfast was conveniently provided in the small refrigerator. It was a typical continental breakfast with omelet.

The apartment is one-half of a mobile home trailer. The exterior has sliding and front porches to dress it up, but the walls are very thin, and we could hear the neighbors' normal activity (they weren't being loud or obnoxious).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for leaving a review! We appreciate you sharing about your stay with future guests. The Birch Retreat apartment that you had is one of our economy choices. We strive to make it the most comfortable we can, but you're right, it's an older building, so it's not insulated for noise as well as our new cottages. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this previously, but we will add a white noise machine in Birch's bedroom, as an extra help for cancelling out any sounds. --Karen

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really enjoyed by stay at Alaska Garden Gate B&B near Palmer. It was the perfect location for our day trips. The suite we had was clean and quiet and a pretty good price. I'm planning to stay there again when I go to Palmer this fall.

Room Tip: I would try one of the cabins. They offer a bit more privacy. We stayed in the main B&B which was great, but the cabins look pretty nice!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was only 4 nights here and had the bad luck that it was a bit windy outside but this place is so beautiful and peaceful you wish that you could stay forever.
So I had the Luxury Cottage with the Jacuzzi and it was really awesome here you have your own little home with kitchen and a nice view, and the hostess is really friendly.
The next town Palmer is just 3 miles away so you can go for dinner out there or cook yourself just something.It takes by foot approx. 2 hours from there to palmer so if you have a bike or even better a car than use that. The Host Karen was really friendly and helpful and is bringing evryday day fresh breakfast. Of course you have here also coffee (sugar and milkpowder) and Tea and more, you have in the Room also a folder and map with useful info as direction to restaurants and other activities here around, or you can ask Karen she knows evrything about the Area. So Iam really glad I made the way up here from Anchorage to the Garden Gate, Its a lovely place to stay and I would recommend it to evrybody, karen treats evrybody as a good friend and not as a customer so thumbs up for the Garden Gates from me.
100 % SATISFACTION is here guaranteed !!! looking forward to come here in summer again. Jana Krupka from Prague, Czech Republic

Room Tip: each cottage here is perfect cant really say whats better:P
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo