“Clean but recommend cottages over the house”

Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Ranked #2 of 13 Palmer B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This place was clean and pleasant but we made the mistake of thinking we had booked one of the cottages. Instead, we booked a bedroom/bath/kitchenette inside the owner's home. This was spacious and clean. Breakfast was juice, banana bread, pre-cooked scrambled eggs to microwave and sausage. The only complaint is a male was sleeping in a room right on the other side of the divider curtain and loudly snoring. We wished we had booked one of the cute cottages instead for more privacy. Overall, a nice, clean place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

I appreciate the feedback in this review and I'm sorry these guests didn't get good sleep! Next to each bed is a white noise machine; perhaps these guests didn't notice it. In our guest apartments, are portable electric fans which can help moderate temperature or provide steady sound, too. It's true that some snore-ers can make it past walls and doors, so we try to provide everything needed to make a peaceful and quiet environment for everyone. I'm sure these guests would enjoy a cottage on their next stay! The cottages stand independently and don't share a wall like the guest apartments in our house do. However, occasionally there are loud noises around the cottages, too. Many times people who are arriving late don't think about other people sleeping, since it is still light outside at midnight or later. In both our cottages and guest apartments, we have wonderful pillow-top beds, white noise machines, and room-darkening shades or curtains to give guests the best chance for relaxing and restful sleep.

There are newer reviews for Alaska Garden Gate B & B

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Karen greeted us with a friendly smile and a nice place. The food left in the refrigerator for breakfast was good and a nice touch. Our room had plenty of space and a nice sized bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank carolc80
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Karen is a wonderful hostess and the accomodations are excellent. Breakfast was good. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David F
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I stayed for a week at the Alaska Garden Gate B&B in mid February. The views were beautiful with stunning scenery. The owner was incredibly friendly. The cabin was very comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank happycamperTwinFalls
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at this charming B&B the night before we made our way to the Alaska State Fair which was only about a 15 minute drive away. The minute we stepped into our cottage we were so pleasantly surprised, we had our own private cottage that was clean, modern and new. At the same time it was very inviting and reminded us of home. We were so sad that we were only staying one night! We would definitely recommend this establishment to anyone traveling through Palmer. I didn't make it to the breakfast but my husband did and he said that it was delicious and he met a lot of very nice people. We will most definitely stay here again the next time we are in Alaska and definitely will stay at least 2-3 nights to really take advantage of all of the wonderful amenities including kitchen, electric fireplace, two flat screen TVs, deep soaking tub and more! Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Loveroffun
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2011

Thank you for the review! I'd like to let any prospective and returning guests know about an important change at our B&B. We're now providing a generous continental breakfast in your own kitchen, for you to enjoy whenever you like, instead of three seatings of cooked breakfast in the B&B. The breakfast baskets feature a homemade entree such as quiche or breakfast burritos as well as prepared sandwiches like Jimmy Dean egg and sausage croissants, fresh cut up fruits such as melon ball medleys and whole fruits like bananas and grapes, individual yogurts, juices, and then always our fresh honey wheat bread for toasting or sweet breads/muffins like cranberry orange or banana, because I just love to bake.

I've taken into account the feedback and reviews guests have shared. Now, you will never be late or have to choose a breakfast time. And if you don't eat gluten, eggs, meat or dairy or simply don't like what I've made, you won't have to sit at a table with strangers and try to decide what to do. If you don't like what we provide for you in your cottage, no hard feelings! Not talkative in the morning? No big deal! And, the big doozy, since you won't need to come into our home, there's no need to take your shoes off--wear your shoes in your cottage or guest apartment all you like.

The highlight for us is getting to know our guests and providing any needed information. I'd love to talk with you about what there is to see and do, where to go to dinner, advice on the rest of our travels in Alaska, or just to chat! Thank you for choosing Alaska Garden Gate, and continue to let me know how you liked your stay!

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed for only one night in a lovely clean cottage with a great bathroom, comfortable bed, fully equipped kitchenette and very welcoming sofa and tv in the lounge.

We were fully aware that the husky was elderly and sometimes a little grumpy and this was no problem for us.

However having read the great reviews of Karen's breakfasts, we may have visited on her day off. Delivery of the 8.30am breakfast was somewhat chaotic and certainly didn't include many of the tempting items mentioned by other reviewers.

We had only a little difficulty in finding Alaska Garden Gate with our GPS as we also read the road signs. However we were coming from Valdez not Denali which may make a difference.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Regular_Traveller63
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Thanks for your kind review. I wouldn't normally take a day off during the summer, except that my father passed away unexpectedly 3000 miles away, so helpers filled in. I try to be on hand as much as possible, but in this case we had to go.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

This B. & B. was really the cleanest place I have been in Alaska. The only problem was that everybody needed to go barefoot or with slippers and there was a big furry dog , not so friendly (she tried to bite one of my children who was petting her ). We love animals and we are used to them but we are not obliged to wear old used slippers to get in an hotel.
Breakfast wasn't so rich: as an Italian family, we don't need a lot in the morning, but food wasn't enough and in my opinion, few French toasts, 2 eggs and sausages , some fruit salad with whipped cream and lot of coffee were inadequate for 10 people eating in the same table.
However, an homemade bread and homemade muffins laid on the kitchen table the day we arrived but I think they were fake because nobody offered us....
The room was big enough for us and the garden was very tidy and lush and it was a pleasure to look out of the window..

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2011

I'm terribly sorry if I didn't communicate clearly enough with these guests. I didn't realize they didn't get enough to eat from the ample breakfast full of choices that they mentioned that I cooked for everyone that morning. There are two tables of 6; the Pyrex baking dishes I have are different sizes so I let everyone know at the table with the smaller dish that there were many more pieces of my vanilla bean baked French toast with homemade berry sauce on the other table, and I could get more for anyone at this table with the smaller dish. It's too bad they didn't hear that or perhaps understand that. I didn't realize they wanted more to eat.

It's true that our dog is becoming elderly and I tell all guests that she may be grumpy; again, it sounds like perhaps they didn't hear that. I'm sorry that their children approached my dog before I could ask them to give her some space.

We provide freshly laundered slippers for anyone who would like a pair to wear in the house.

It is my great joy to bake fresh breads and muffins for our guests. The ones they saw were not fake; they were cooling out of the oven. I plan different breakfast menus for each day, so that guests who are here several days or weeks get to try many of my recipes while they stay with us. I didn't realize that our Italian guests wanted bread or muffins instead of the French toast, eggs and sausage that I made for their breakfast or I could have offered some to them if what I made would not be suitable for them.

Thank you for the feedback about your stay; we're glad that the beautiful gardens, views and cleanliness stood out to you, and we will endeavor to speak more plainly and clearly about breakfast and the issues you bring to my attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast
Knotty Pine B&B
Knotty Pine B&B
#4 of 13 in Palmer

Been to Alaska Garden Gate B & B? Share your experiences!