“Wonderful Place to Stay for Our First Trip to Alaska”

Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Ranked #3 of 12 Palmer B&B and Inns
Weatherford, Texas
“Wonderful Place to Stay for Our First Trip to Alaska”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Karen is a wonderful hostess and the accomodations are excellent. Breakfast was good. We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I stayed for a week at the Alaska Garden Gate B&B in mid February. The views were beautiful with stunning scenery. The owner was incredibly friendly. The cabin was very comfortable and clean.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank happycamperTwinFalls
Maui, HI
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at this charming B&B the night before we made our way to the Alaska State Fair which was only about a 15 minute drive away. The minute we stepped into our cottage we were so pleasantly surprised, we had our own private cottage that was clean, modern and new. At the same time it was very inviting and reminded us of home. We were so sad that we were only staying one night! We would definitely recommend this establishment to anyone traveling through Palmer. I didn't make it to the breakfast but my husband did and he said that it was delicious and he met a lot of very nice people. We will most definitely stay here again the next time we are in Alaska and definitely will stay at least 2-3 nights to really take advantage of all of the wonderful amenities including kitchen, electric fireplace, two flat screen TVs, deep soaking tub and more! Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loveroffun
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Thank you for the review! I'd like to let any prospective and returning guests know about an important change at our B&B. We're now providing a generous continental breakfast in your own kitchen, for you to enjoy whenever you like, instead of three seatings of cooked breakfast in the B&B. The breakfast baskets feature a homemade entree such as quiche or breakfast burritos as well as prepared sandwiches like Jimmy Dean egg and sausage croissants, fresh cut up fruits such as melon ball medleys and whole fruits like bananas and grapes, individual yogurts, juices, and then always our fresh honey wheat bread for toasting or sweet breads/muffins like cranberry orange or banana, because I just love to bake.

I've taken into account the feedback and reviews guests have shared. Now, you will never be late or have to choose a breakfast time. And if you don't eat gluten, eggs, meat or dairy or simply don't like what I've made, you won't have to sit at a table with strangers and try to decide what to do. If you don't like what we provide for you in your cottage, no hard feelings! Not talkative in the morning? No big deal! And, the big doozy, since you won't need to come into our home, there's no need to take your shoes off--wear your shoes in your cottage or guest apartment all you like.

The highlight for us is getting to know our guests and providing any needed information. I'd love to talk with you about what there is to see and do, where to go to dinner, advice on the rest of our travels in Alaska, or just to chat! Thank you for choosing Alaska Garden Gate, and continue to let me know how you liked your stay!
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed for only one night in a lovely clean cottage with a great bathroom, comfortable bed, fully equipped kitchenette and very welcoming sofa and tv in the lounge.

We were fully aware that the husky was elderly and sometimes a little grumpy and this was no problem for us.

However having read the great reviews of Karen's breakfasts, we may have visited on her day off. Delivery of the 8.30am breakfast was somewhat chaotic and certainly didn't include many of the tempting items mentioned by other reviewers.

We had only a little difficulty in finding Alaska Garden Gate with our GPS as we also read the road signs. However we were coming from Valdez not Denali which may make a difference.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Regular_Traveller63
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thanks for your kind review. I wouldn't normally take a day off during the summer, except that my father passed away unexpectedly 3000 miles away, so helpers filled in. I try to be on hand as much as possible, but in this case we had to go.
Borgomanero
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This B. & B. was really the cleanest place I have been in Alaska. The only problem was that everybody needed to go barefoot or with slippers and there was a big furry dog , not so friendly (she tried to bite one of my children who was petting her ). We love animals and we are used to them but we are not obliged to wear old used slippers to get in an hotel.
Breakfast wasn't so rich: as an Italian family, we don't need a lot in the morning, but food wasn't enough and in my opinion, few French toasts, 2 eggs and sausages , some fruit salad with whipped cream and lot of coffee were inadequate for 10 people eating in the same table.
However, an homemade bread and homemade muffins laid on the kitchen table the day we arrived but I think they were fake because nobody offered us....
The room was big enough for us and the garden was very tidy and lush and it was a pleasure to look out of the window..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
I'm terribly sorry if I didn't communicate clearly enough with these guests. I didn't realize they didn't get enough to eat from the ample breakfast full of choices that they mentioned that I cooked for everyone that morning. There are two tables of 6; the Pyrex baking dishes I have are different sizes so I let everyone know at the table with the smaller dish that there were many more pieces of my vanilla bean baked French toast with homemade berry sauce on the other table, and I could get more for anyone at this table with the smaller dish. It's too bad they didn't hear that or perhaps understand that. I didn't realize they wanted more to eat.

It's true that our dog is becoming elderly and I tell all guests that she may be grumpy; again, it sounds like perhaps they didn't hear that. I'm sorry that their children approached my dog before I could ask them to give her some space.

We provide freshly laundered slippers for anyone who would like a pair to wear in the house.

It is my great joy to bake fresh breads and muffins for our guests. The ones they saw were not fake; they were cooling out of the oven. I plan different breakfast menus for each day, so that guests who are here several days or weeks get to try many of my recipes while they stay with us. I didn't realize that our Italian guests wanted bread or muffins instead of the French toast, eggs and sausage that I made for their breakfast or I could have offered some to them if what I made would not be suitable for them.

Thank you for the feedback about your stay; we're glad that the beautiful gardens, views and cleanliness stood out to you, and we will endeavor to speak more plainly and clearly about breakfast and the issues you bring to my attention.
St Albans
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The setting is great, with wonderful views of the Matanuska valley, and we had a very comfortable stay here for 2 nights. I'd booked a room with a double and a sofa bed for me and my daughters, but at no extra cost Karen put us in a suite with a room for me and another for them, which was really nice. The gardens are a riot of wildflowers, but we were sorry not to meet the moose who frequently visit. No choice for breakast, which won't suit some, but I was perfectly happy with it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank St_Albans_City
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We've enjoyed both stays here. Two years ago we stayed in the Forest Haven Guest Apartment and this trip we stayed in one of the luxury cottages Both times we enjoyed our stay. The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. The view of Knik glacier from the luxury cottage is outstanding. The Forest Haven room has a nice view of a field of wildflowers. We enjoyed talking with Karen each morning and her homemade jam is awesome!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shemoves
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn
Knotty Pine B&B
Knotty Pine B&B
#4 of 12 in Palmer

Been to Alaska Garden Gate B & B? Share your experiences!