“Unprofessional and unpleasant”

Eagle Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Palmer B&B and Inns
“Unprofessional and unpleasant”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

First room we stayed in smelled damp. And the keys on the second floor open multiple doors, apparently-because our first night another guest used theirs to open our door and stumble drunkenly into our room while my wife, infant daughter, and myself were trying to sleep. There was mildew in the bathrooms.
Secondly, when I some unforseen work issues cut my vacation time short by 10 days, they refused to even offer a partial refund-charging me over $1000 for a room I was not in, and they were able to rent to others. When I called to ask, in spite of my maintaining a business manner, the manager hung up on me. Decidedly unprofessional, and poorly run establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Aaron W
Bee K, General Manager at Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I would like to clear these issues with you.
1. No card but a manager card can open more then one room. So someone walking in your room is impossible.
2. Our hotel is newly renovated less then a year to be exact and there is no mildew in any of the rooms we make sure those things are checked by maintenance on a weekly basis.
3. As far as the early leave. Our policy clearly states no refund for early check outs.
4. Our manager handled the situation in a very professional manner as I the other manager was standing right next to her while you were cursing and yelling at her and no one should have to be treated that way.
I would still like to apologize that you left here unhappy, you also have to understand that running a business means following rules which is exactly what we did.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
State College
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night after the tour at Denali NP and on our way back to Anchorage. Hotels at Anchorage are typically very expensive, and we are happy this hotel didn't cost nearly as much.
The room we had was a big (I mean big!) room on the third floor with two queen beds 10 feet away from each other, and there was more room for a few things. In addition the room had a door that lead to a big balcony that is shared by four rooms on the third floor. The room was a little old, but ok. Unfortunately there is no elevator between floor 2 and 3, since it looks like the third floor was built later.
The hotel had a bar and a restaurant, but we didn't get to use them. The people at the front desk were nice and helpful, and the location was pretty nice, about 30 min away from Anchorage and in a small and nice town.

Room Tip: pick a room that is not on the third floor if you have heavy luggage
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wangcomeon
Bee K, General Manager at Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate it and are very glad that you had a good stay with us.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My cousin and I spent two nights at the hotel. It was a holiday weekend and almost everything in town was closed. The staff directed us to a few places we could eat, buy grocieries and some local points of interest. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The price was reasonable and the staff was helpful, friendly and professional. There were no noise problems and everything was in working order. I would stay at The Eagle Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Happygolucky8_44
Bee K, General Manager at Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We are very happy that you were pleased with your stay. Thank you for choosing the Eagle Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights for meetings in Palmer. When we went to check out we were charged for 3 nights. While that was bad, another group at our meeting was charged for 5 nights. They refused to make any adjustments. They also told the organizers that the restaurant would be open by 7 so we could eat before the meetings. It opened at 9, no breakfast there. We must have been at the end of the hot water since it only got lukewarm for everyone at our end of the hall. Do NOT stay at this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rangemgr
Bee K, General Manager at Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We are sorry to hear your experience wasn't good with us. As for the check in and check out date mistakes we explained to you and the other party that the mistake wasn't ours and that it was the person who organized your meeting and stay here. We also showed the organizer the emails that we had received from her which had all the dates that she sent over and that's exactly what we had booked. If it were a mistake on our part we have no problem refunding any money back. Unfortunately those rooms were blocked so far ahead that if we even did refund any money back there would be a very small chance that we could re book those rooms. We do apologize again and wish that there was more that we can do for you.

Travelers are raving about these Palmer hotels

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed our stay. The room, while basic, was clean, comfortable and huge. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. Palmer's a great town. It was nice to have accommodations right in town. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bee K, General Manager at Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very glad that we met your expectations. See you in the future.
Renton, Washington
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent two nights in the Eagle Hotel in Palmer Alaska recently. After reading the reviews I was sure that we were in for a terrible experience, I was wrong. The front desk was very accomodating to us, not to others maybe, when they were around. It seems that they do not staff the front desk all of the time. The staff that does work there seems to do more than one job when they are on shift, you can expect some delays. Also if you have more than a couple pieces of luggage do not expect to use a cart, they do not have them. OK, it is Alaska, Right?

When we got to our rooms they were large compared to other places I have stayed in Alaska, they were clean and in decent repair. Okay, the downside, the floors squeaked when you walked on them as well as being uneven. The beds are a little hard for my taste and there were only 2 pillows on the bed, I like to sleep with two as does my wife. The bathroom was fine however the water in the shower would vary from hot and cold, made for an interesting shower. They did not have phones in the rooms, a weird omission in my opinion.

We did not eat at the restaurant but we did have food provided by the hotel. The food we had was fine. Service in the lounge was good, when they were not waiting on tables in the restaurant or providing for other functions, remember the staff issue above?

Okay my biggest complaint. The lounge has music on Saturday for sure, do not know about Friday. The lounge is not large and the band they had while we were staying was a rock and roll band, see were this is going? Our room number was 220 and we could hear the music very well, not the singing but the drums and other instruments, one of our friends had a room right over the top of the lounge, he was not a happy camper at all. The music lasted until after 1AM, not a good thing if you have to get up at 6AM for meetings. I would recommend if you are going to be at the Eagle Hotel on a weekend you request a room on the northside of the hotel, it might be a bit quieter. I think the new owners should consider putting some more noise damping material on the ceiling over the lounge.

I do know there are other hotels in the area but I do not know what they are like. The Eagle is not bad despite what I have said.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pamela-and-Greg
Bee K, General Manager at Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope to make your stay better next time you stay with us.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for one night while we were traveling through Alaska.
The rate is pretty cheap but we quickly understood why when we checked in.
The rooms are large, I'll give them that. But they are old and is dire need of a facelift (rooms and bathroom). The beds aren't very comfortable and the sheets probably date back to the 1980's... The wifi isn't working except in a few spots in the hallways (not very convenient at all). I'm not going there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louis514
Bee K, General Manager at Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear that your stay wasn't a good experience with us. As for the Wi-fi it was something that we were working on and is now working good. As far as the beds and sheets they are brand new we renovated just 8 months ago. We are still trying to improve as we are a very new business. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Have a great day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Eagle River/Anchorage Are
Pioneer Motel
Pioneer Motel
#1 of 3 in Palmer
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Butte's Bethel Farm and Bed and Breakfast

Been to Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!