“Not for the up tight”
Review of Hatcher Pass Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palmer
Hatcher Pass Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Palmer
Anchorage, Alaska
“Not for the up tight”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I guess my review will split the vote so to speak, but I stayed here a couple of years ago and in fact plan to stay there next month. The food had and I ate all three meals was very good as I recall. We stayd in one of the cabins, nothing special but in my mind you are paying for thr view and ambiance. The owner was very welcomig and let us even keep our dog in the cabin and take her into the lodge with us. The lodge has a very cozy laid back feel, I just love to sit there and sip hot drinks, by the fire. I love beig able to ski up to this place and and warm up by the fire. I don't care if he has remodled frankly, this place is what it should be a functional lodge in the mountains where you sleep ski, sled, sauna and get some warm food. That is all I need or want, if I want luxury I will go to girdwood but I have my complaints about the hotel there.

Room Tip: Get a small one down hill facingdone the valley
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Foodsthegame

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We drove up for the afternoon-- nice ride up and gorgeous scenery on a clear crisp day. The lodge's restaurant was another experience altogether. "Funky" might be a good word, but...if you looked just a tad more closely, you realize that this is a place that no one has put a penny into maintaining in quite some time. And at $9.50 for a plain cheese quesadilla, this should not be the case! Wait staff was distracted, at best. Food was marginal...another sad case of only game in town. I had high expectations- just because for years I had heard people talk about Hatcher Pass and how awesome it was. Though the awesomeness would transfer to a nice lunch. I was wrong. Will go back to the Pass, will bring our OWN food!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Another amazing weekend in AK. Drove the Accord up and snagged a cabin for $99 due to it being shoulder season - but still lots of snow up there! Skied most of the afternoon up the valley, how much better could a Saturday in June get? The room was clean, warm, and despite its sparse furnishings, so comfy. Woke up the next day to completely socked in skies and rain on the roof, it wasn't too hard to sleep in though :) Ate a nice lunch at the restaurant, which itself is warm and cozy and inviting. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2012
Goodview, VA
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent one night in a cabin at Hatcher Pass Lodge at the end of July, 2012. Our cabin was cozy with a table, seating area and a bathroom (with the type of toilet you would find in a motor home or boat) on the main floor and two beds in the loft next to windows to enjoy the awesome view in the morning. There is a shower available to guests in the Lodge. We had a wonderful breakfast the following morning in the Lodge. It was expensive but in light of the remoteness of the location that is to be expected. During breakfast we were fortunate to have a chance to talk with the owner who came to Alaska in the 1950's and acquired the land where the Lodge is located through the Homestead Act. We really enjoyed our stay. There are hiking trails near the Lodge and The Independence Mine Historical Site is one mile away. The road across Hatcher Pass to Willow offered spectacular views.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katherine B
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I also ate here today, and what a terrible experience! We put aside the looks of the place considering it is an old lodge, and then when we saw the prices we assumed the food would be amazing- $20 for spaghetti- but when we finally received our food 1 1/2 hours later, it was terrible! The spaghetti noodles were cold, my medium well steak was medium rare with no onions or mushrooms as the menu said- and no seasoning, the shriveled vegetables were cold, and the whole sandwich we ordered came out as 1/2. No one came to check on us until after we were done eating and the place was not that busy. They really need to have an overhaul and have better customer service for the prices and quality of food you receive!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Grofried
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The service here was awful!!! The food is ridiculously expensive. The facility is completely in disrepair. The view is awe-inspiring. We waited forever for our food. The staff seemed completely overwhelmed by a restaurant with full tables and kept saying they only had one cook.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mama B
Anchorage
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Last time we were there, the place smelled like old socks or rancid cheese fondue, and after waiting half an hour for someone to just acknowledge us, unable after numerous efforts to catch the eye of the comatose-looking server while we sat at some sort of bar near their kitchen, we still could not get service, gave up and left. No one even noticed. There was some crabby guy standing around scratching himself while his lone server meandered through the dining room. I think he was the owner, but who could tell. It was disorganized and smelly, crowded, and appeared to have only that one server. I hope she was not also the cook, but again, who could tell. We were famished, but had to drive back down into Palmer to get some food. I hope they have improved since then. We love Independence Mine and would like to try out staying in one of the cabins at Hatcher Pass Lodge, but not if we have to put up with this nonsense in the restaurant. They know they have a captive audience as there is nowhere else to eat up there on the mountain. Foolish, because they are sitting on a gold mine...literally, ha ha. But seriously, if the place were managed better, with sufficient trained servers and a decent cook, people would flock to this place for the view alone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CrowdAvoidance
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Moose Wallow Cabins
Moose Wallow Cabins
#3 of 12 in Palmer

Been to Hatcher Pass Lodge? Share your experiences!