“Great, simple restaurant, mostly organic and local produce.”
Review of Turkey Red

Turkey Red
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Palmer
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
France
“Great, simple restaurant, mostly organic and local produce.”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

A real find in an area not known for great restaurants. The owners are a Greek and Tuscan couple. It showed in the dinner. The grilled polenta appetizer was crisp. Its marinara sauce was very tasty and chunky. The mozzerella was house made.
One main course could have been a Greek cliché - moussaka - but they really improved it. The saucing and seasoning (nutmeg included, of course) were perfect. I was a bit skeptical when I saw they used zucchini instead of eggplant. But the zucchini was very crisp. This made a perfect contrast inside a dish that`s normally all the same soft texture.
Our other main was a dinner sized CBLT. Chicken (hot grilled) and bacon over mixed greens with a perfect, light vinaigrette. Simple but perfectly prepared. The side salad we ordered with the moussaka also had a vinaigrette, but it was a different one and also excellent.
The homemade breads are excellent and vary every day. (We took a whole loaf with us to use for several days camping afterward.) They use mostly organic products and local produce where possible. We had no room for dessert, but took cookies for our hike the next day that were also delicious.

Anchorage
“This place is great!”
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I have eaten here many times, and find the menu consistently good, the staff friendly, the owner quite outgoing and caring about the restaurant and staff. My favorite items on the menu are the moussaka, chicken with figs, the ahi and the variety of beef stews that they prepare. The portobello mushroom salad is excellent and a treat. The atmosphere inside the restaurant is relaxing and comfortable, with warm and welcoming colors. When you visit Alaska and travel to/through Palmer, please stop in and enjoy.

Palmer
“i keep coming back hoping it will improve”
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I have been to TR numerous times, hoping that it will improve. Honestly, it is very hit and miss. The fourless chocolate cake at $8/slice was unbelievably dry and stale. I picked up bread for dinner one night and it too was stale. The salmon on the salmon sandwich was far from abundant. The last salad I had was dotted with bad greens. Meat in the stew was once very gristly.

The staff is generally very friendly and pleasant. I love the menu, but each time I try something it is not so good. Please improve! You could be a great restuarant and one that we need here in our sweet town of Palmer.

A child menu would be great. My children often get the hummus, but do no appreciate the toughness of the bread. They also love salmon, but not when it is full of onions. Slight variations on the adult choices would fix it.

san francisco
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“don't waste your time”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I agree that the ambiance in this place is awful - the people are rude and it is not worth your time. The food used to be okay and it has really gotten worse over time. The manager of the restaurant does not have any idea what she is doing and I know she treats her employees horribly. But most importantly the food has declined - save your $$ and your time! Do not dine here.

1 Thank jilly4
denver,co
“Best dinner spot”
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Absolutely fabulous. I doubt marmot 24 has ever experienced a truely good restaurant. My experiences at Turkey Red have been wonderful. Everything was great each time I dined. It is great to finally have a decent restaurant in Palmer. Most of the Palmer restaurants are tacky bars with typical gaudy Alaska decor accompanied with greasy burgers. Tonight I will have Buffalo steak for dinner. I hope this reataurant never leaves town.
Eileen52

Been to Turkey Red? Share your experiences!