“Afishunt halibut charter”

Wasilla, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Afishunt halibut charter”
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in my rv but the showers didn't look too appealing in the facilities so we used our own. Two small fenced in areas for dogs which helped! Went fishing with capt Seth Ellis and it was very professional, organized, and fun. I've fished many times for halibut but this was the first time to receive a halibut fishing briefing and they even demo what to do which was nice. Great fishing holes! Launching of boats was fast, interesting method. Upon return more staff came out and while three people filleted fish others weighed, packed, stored fish. Very efficient operation!!! Only wish they would offer to cut skin off. But no waiting around, very quick!! Highly recommend this company. Went with another company the next day and regretted it. I'll review that as well

1 Thank allygrrl

Kalama, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“”I whole heartily disagree with the previous reviews on Captain Brian””
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I am going to put our stay with Alaskan Angler/ Afishunt Charters in chronological order so please read the whole review, and I am sorry that it is so long but we had an awesome time with these people. BTW, we came home with 450 lbs of halibut…
My wife and I plus another couple fished 4 days for halibut with Afishunt Charters. Our accommodations were in two of their cabins the last full week of July 2012. The cabins looked small on the outside but were nice once you were in. Ours had a queen bed in the downstairs bedroom and a queen and 3 twins upstairs. The couch also pulled out into a bed if needed. It was very comfortable, well stocked, and the beds were even great.
Our first halibut trip was with Captain Allen who we found to be very nice, knowledgeable, and knew how to catch fish. We had a great time and everyone limited out. We were surprised that Allen took time throughout our stay to stop by our cabin at night if it wasn’t too late to see how we had done that day fishing for halibut or reds on the Kenai.
Our second Halibut outing was on Arthur’s boat the “Hard Eight”. Arthur (we called him “King Arthur”) was a riot. We had a great time with him and he too was very nice and knew where to go so we all limited out again. We really enjoyed our day and even met Arthur and his great deck hand for dinner that night at a local restaurant.
Our third day was with Captain Brian and the only thing I can agree with in the other two reviews is that he is quiet, but that was okay with me because if I wanted someone to talk to me all day long I would have invited my mother in-law. Brian was very attentive and knew EVERYTHING that was going on in the boat. My friend kept reeling to fast (like he was still on the Kenai) whenever he had a bite. When he was getting the fifth bite of the day we heard Brian say in a calm, normal voice (he didn’t yell at him), “don’t reel yet, you have already missed four fish so wait until I tell you to reel”. The fish Brian helped him catch was a 51 pounder and the next one was 45 pounds, in fact no one caught less than a 40 pounder that day. We had such a good time that we asked to be on Brian’s boat our last trip. That day we had a retired couple in their mid to late 70’s on board. The wife had had 2 strokes in 2011 and Halibut fishing was on her bucket list. Brian and his deckhand were both very attentive to everyone on the boat but really went out of their way to help this lady live her dream as she walked away with a 35 and 40 pounder, reeling both of them (with Brian’s help) up herself. This couple was so excited about their day that they booked another fishing trip for three days later and asked that Brian be their captain again.
Everyone at Alaskan Angler RV Resort/ Afishunt Charters were awesome from Sharron and John the owners, all three captains we fished with, the gals that cut up our fillets and vacuum packed them and the rest of the staff at the RV Park. This is a top notch charter and RV park that everyone should try if they have a chance.
We will all return to Alaska in a couple of years to fish again. We will stay at the Alaskan Angler RV Resort, and we all agree that we WILL ask to fish with Brian again. Don’t let those other two reviews keep you from a great fishing trip!!!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank DonSonya
Damascus, Oregon
“Don't let one bad employee scare you away”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have to agree with the first reviewer IN PART. Capt. Brian was a very impersonable guide. He didn't talk much and actually yelled at a few of the other passengers that were new to halibut fishing. I was very unhappy with my experience on his boat (Voyager). The fishing was great, but he really does have no business working as a guide.

Fortunately, I had the opportunity to fish on two of their other boats prior to my experience with Capt. Brian. I went on the Afishunt ll with Capt. Seth and the Excitor with Capt. Allen. Both of these guides were great as we're their deckhands. It would be hard for me to completely write off Afishunt Charters, but I would definitely avoid Capt. Brian and the Voyager at all cost. I did not get an opportunity to fish on their fourth boat, but did hear great things about that captain as well.

The rest of the employes of Afishunt Carter's were also extremely helpful and eager to please. This included both the RV park workers as well as the Charter Office Staff. Please don't let one bad employee ruin what cold otherwise be a terrific fishing experience.

Visited July 2012
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“The day was beautiful, only problem extremely rude boat captain Brian”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We spent good money for this trip, but it was by far the most unenjoyable thing we did on the trip, not because we didn't catch fish because we did, but because the captain of the boat, Brian obviously hates his job and can't abide tourists. He barely uttered a word the entire trip, if we asked a question, he ignored us, he grudgingly gave us a very brief lesson on halibut fishing, if we asked a question about the gear or anything else related to how to catch halibut he ignored us, he is a very unpleasant person who should never work with the public. Our group was in Alaska for 2 weeks and we found Alaskans to be a nice and friendly bunch with the exception of captain Brian. Definitely not recommend this company.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank girllovestotravel
Hawaii
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Fishing on the Kasilof”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

After a few phone calls of questions and information, we decided to hire Afishunt Charters to provide us the salmon fishing experience. We had never before fished for salmon nor fish in a river, so talking with John was very helpful as he explained what would happen, what to expect, and what would be provided by the company.

The best part of choosing this company amongst all others, was that they give a military discount to veterans and military personnel. That was a GREAT plus with us - since there were 8 of us fishing that day on the Kasilof River.

We had so much fun with our guides Grant and Thom - they were very knowledgable and helpful, patient and kind, and strong enough to keep our little boat from drifting down river by paddling backwards - whew - I would have given up long ago! They also took care of baiting our poles, taking us to certain fishing spots, and making sure we had a good time.

What a great feeling when you finally catch a King Salmon - and it was delicious to eat too. After a full day charter, we returned back to our van very tired for a long day on the water, but ever grateful for the beautiful day, the color of the glacial waters (the Kasilof is fed by glacial water which is a gorgeous aqua), and the fun we had with our guides.

If you're looking for some family fun (10 and 12 year olds), take your family to do some river fishing in Alaska - and hire Afishunt Charters for help! Have fun.

Visited June 2011