“Adorable cabins, excellent hospitality!”
Review of Summit Lake Lodge

Summit Lake Lodge
Ames, Iowa
“Adorable cabins, excellent hospitality!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We loved our stay at Summit Lake Lodge...and it is on our radar for future trips to Alaska! The cabin was perfect! So cozy and rustic, yet had all the amenities...and beautifully decorated. Marty and June were excellent hosts! We enjoyed our chats with them and consider them our first Alaskan friends. (they even remembered our anniversary with a card and some flowers in our cabin!) The food was excellent in the restaurant and the service by Madison was perfect! She was just a delight! We even made time to stop by on our way back through for a quick lunch on our return trip up to Anchorage from Homer. We will be back...and hopefully next time a little later in the summer to take advantage of all the fun on the lake!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gold Rush cabin and it was beautiful...but I get the sense that they are all great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have no idea how people could give this a bad rating. 169.00 for a 2Queen bed cabin w/breakfast for 4 included. That in itself is value in itself for this time of year.The cabin is bigger than most hotel rooms, clean and decorated inn a rustic Alaskan style. Being an Alaskan who frequents this area alot during the summer I will be staying here again.My only regret is that I haven't stopped here sooner. Staff and owners were courteous and friendly, going out of their way to make sure my family and I were taken care of.5 stars

• Stayed May 2012
Del Mar, CA
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

We just spent a delightful night at the Summit Lake Lodge. We enjoyed the view of the frozen lake and snow covered mountain from the restaurant. The owners and their staff are exceptionally friendly and efficient. We had a delicious halibut dinner that was reasonably priced. We chose their top level cabin which is spacious and looks as if it had just been refurbished (1 year old remodel/decorating). The king size bed was the most comfortable we've ever had, and we travel a lot. The bath is spacious and well designed (3 rooms, with 2 sinks in different rooms). The cabin did not have a view and was expensive compared to lower 48 standards. It would be fun to stay here when the lake is thawed and accessible. It's only an hour from Seward.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Ulm, Minnesota
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Wow! We had a wonderful stay in December of all times. Lots of snow fun activities and spectacular scenery. The well stocked bar and tremendous service in the dining room made indoor liesure time very inviting and relaxing. The meals we had were very good and our cabin was more than cozy. I will definitely come back to Summit Lake Lodge the next time I'm in Alaska.

Room Tip: The newly remodeled cabins are superior for longer stays.
Newberg, Oregon
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was also at the lodge for the family reunion. I can't say enough great things about Summit. The staff was wonderful, very happy and helpful. The meals were one of my favorite parts. Breakfast was made to order when you woke up, with a low key lunch and a delicious formal dinner with yummy dessert. The staff provided my family with multiple things to do, ranging from snow golf to bowling, sledding, and even a murder mystery dinner for us to partake in! The cabins were with out a doubt some of the nicest that I've stayed in. I was in a cabin with 3 other cousins. We each shared a queen bed and were plenty comfortable. The cabins and motel rooms are all newly redone and very nice. I definitely recommend this lodge as a place to stay. It was the perfect place for our family reunion, it will be one we wont forget. I know that the lodge is mainly open in the summer, and I hope to visit sometime soon. It truely is beautiful.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a cabin, it's well worth it!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Arguably, Alaska isn't normally a winter destination place - so when our family decided to reunion at Summit Lake Lodge I was skeptical about how enjoyable sub-zero temperatures could be...

I was blown away from the moment we landed in Anchorage - Alaska is stunning!! The rugged mountains topped with white dwarf everything around them - it is unlike anything I have ever seen.

When we arrived at Summit Lake, which is about an hour and half away from the Anchorage airport we were greeted by a warm lodge (and about five feet of snow), plowed walkways and a warm cabin.

There are two different places you can room in: the motel and the cabins. Both are adorably adorned, but if you are staying for a couple days the cabins are an awesome deal. The cabins are larger than the motel rooms and come with an HD television and are newly renovated - the motels, not to be outdone, are warm, cozy and really make you feel like you are in your own little log cabin in the woods.

I won't say much about the scenery except that it is breath taking - you can look to the pictures I posted if you need proof.

Each morning we awoke to a breakfast menu cooked to order - the food was fabulous (and included in the price)!!! After breakfast we lounged around the lodge, reading by the fire until the sun rose so that we could take advantage of the precious Alaskan winter daylight.

During the day we snowmobiled (they have four), sledded (there is an abundance of hills), cross country skied, snow golfed and even snow bowled. Although there was limited daylight, by the time the sun set we were ready to get back to the lodge for more delicious food.

Each night we arrived in the bar attached to the lodge and ate appetizers and enjoyed drinks while we waited for the bell to ring indicating that dinner was being served... I will only tell you this: I haven't eaten this well EVER. We chose from three items each night, and everything was fabulous!

I should note several things:
1. The lodge is not normally open in the winter, our very large family reunion was a special situation.
2. In the summer the owners help to set up "tour vacations" meaning they can help you plan a fishing trip or whale watching etc. - the owners Marty and June are truly lovely - you won't find nicer people.
3. Also in the summer, they have a pizza parlor and gift shop that weren't open for our use.
4. Lastly, they are on a lake (for all you summer travelers)

In summary, we all had an amazing, memorable vacation - it's hard to believe the pricing (it is ridiculously reasonable). Summit Lake Lodge is a hidden gem - they don't advertise like the big corporate lodges, but take my word for it - it will be the best money you spend if you go to Alaska!!!

Room Tip: For the money - the newly renovated cabins are fabulous!!!
1 Thank ElleE1031
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We loved the spacious and well-done cabin with extra detailing. Weren't expecting that level of quality! We also appreciated the non-pretentious attitudes of the staff as they helped with our late check-in and suggested activities for the next day. Great breakfast.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Summit Cabin - their
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
The Alpine Motel
The Alpine Motel
#3 of 3 in Cooper Landing
Hidden Creek Bed and Breakfast

Been to Summit Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!