“If you love to catch fish then Kodiak Island Resort is the place for you!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larsen Bay
Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larsen Bay
Louisiana, Missouri
“If you love to catch fish then Kodiak Island Resort is the place for you!”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This was our FOURTH trip to Kodiak Island Resort. That alone should tell you how delighted we are to go there. The fishing is EXTRAORDINARY. The captains and crew see to it that you get into the fish and have plenty of opportunity to catch. It is amazing to be reeling in a fish and look out onto the ocean and see whales spouting, sea otters "waving" at you or dahl porpoises "zipping" by the boat. We have taken home an abundance of fish (and new ways to prepare our catch) each trip.

The catamaran boat provides a stable smooth ride in the water which is enjoyable. The deck is spacious providing ample room for each guest. We have fished at Seward, Homer and Valdez and none of these measure up to the fishing at Larsen Bay. One of the best things about fishing at Larsen Bay is there is never a 2 to 4 hour run to get to the fishing spot like there is at the other cities. That is a huge plus.

Allen and April and their competent staff go all out to make sure our experience is what we hoped for. Delicious meals, comfortable and delightful accomodations, they cater to the comforts of their guests. They have a special of processing the fish we caught that helps them to stay fresh longer.

We are already working on planning our trip for next year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hancock, Michigan
Reviewed September 29, 2010

This was my second stay at the resort. I truly enjoyed my stay last year and decided to go again this year. Al and April, the resort owners, are wonderful host. The rooms are specious, clean and well appointed. The fishing boats are also great and well staffed with a crew that is helpful and patient with all guest aboard the boat. The meals were great and the chief was interested in pleasing everyone taste. If someone didn't especially care for the planned meal he always prepared something else for them. Likewise a lunch box was packed each day with your individual taste in mind.
The fishing was fantastic, we caught our limit each day 5 salmon and 2 halibut. In addition to fishing we pulled the resorts crab pots one day and enjoyed the best crab that evening for dinner. We also had great opportunities to see a variety of wild animals while at the resort. We could watch bears from the front and back deck in early evening. My plans for 2011 are to return to the resort in July in time for the King salmon season.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Allen was rude and made no attempts to make us feel welcome. We caught well over three hundred pounds of fish and he only sent us 96. When we called him and asked about it he told us we ate the rest when we were there. We only stayed there four nights. He basically stole two hundred pounds of fish, that's over three thousand dollars worth of fish. Whats the point of paying a thousand dollars a night and bring home far less than half your fish.

It was very frustrating and I would never recommend them to another person. I've been to three Alaskan lodges and this was the worst experience by far. Allen is only in this for the money and in no way wants to provide a good service to customers. The lodge is cold and looks staged, not welcoming, you just want to hide in your room when not fishing because you feel that Allen doesn't want you there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
34 Thank luvthaoutdoors
vancouver, washington
Reviewed August 25, 2010

If you want to get the big one, and have a bunch of fun, this is the place. Great bears to see, food is awesome, and staff tries very hard to see to it that you are happy. The crab feed was great, I never liked crab before I went, it was very good. I would recommend them or Kodiak Lodge. I was able to stay at both places and they are both AWESOME!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I spent the weekend at this top notch fishing resort. To start you receive a warm welcome at the landing strip. They take you to a lodge that far exceeds expectations and is very very clean. It has a warm feeling like they have invited you into their home. The food is absolutely tremendous, you will not go hungry. We went silver and halibut fishing with great sucess. They have a really nice boat and two captains went on the trips, they spend plenty of time with each person to make sure everyone has the chance to catch fish. We fished salmon and halbut while whales swan around us. Everyone was very nice and I just can't say enough about how great of a time I had. This is the perfect place to take a Once in a lifetime Alaska adventure. Someday I will go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mikel552
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I have fished Alaska twice before, in Ketchican and on the Kenai Peninsula but never experienced anything like this. Accomodations, service and personnel were simply first rate. The boat crew were fantastic and really know how to put you onto the fish and then will help you out at every opportunity. Joe and Raif were just first rate. The lodge was magnificent, the food was great and everyone was as friendly as could be. The fishing was fantastic with limits of silvers and halibut every day. We even did our imitation of deadliest catch and harvested two dozen crabs from a crab pot and had an outdoor crab feast just hours after harvesting them. Now that is what I call fresh. Saw a number of bears, some quite close and the ever friendly fox that visited the lodge in the evenings. Weather was great but changeable but the catamaran boat used was perfect for all weather. Go and you will have a fantastic time. This trip exceeded all my expectations by far and the 100 pounds of fish are now in my frig with friends and family asking when the next dinner party will be. You can't go wrong with Kodiak Island Resort. I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Carpinteria, California
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I fished in Alaska in 2009 with a group of Lady Anglers, at another lodge. My husband and son really wanted to go, after I got back with all my Alaska fish stories. But my husband wanted to go somewhere more remote and not so may people. We decided to make it a family trip and take our 2 grown sons (21 & 27). We fish often in the southern California area, Santa Barbara Channel Islands, Catalina and San Diego.
Fishing in the inlets in and around Larsen Bay is like nothing else. The waters are calm and teeming with wildlife - we saw whales, sea otters, eagles, puffin, loons, dolphin/porpoise every day, in the distance and sometimes very close to the boat. Captain Joe put us on fish without fail, changed up the lures when trolling to attract the Salmon. Great Action. Most of the halibut were kept in the 30 50 lb range with 3 dureing the 4 days reaching 110, 85 and 75 lbs. Our youngest son hooked into an 85 lb halibut on the 4th day during the last 1/2 hour of fishing - what a thrill.
The lodge was comfortable and lovely, The Chef prepared wonderful meals handling all of our various food issues in stride. Our rooms were reallly wonderful. The lodge is right on the bay with wonderful views and regular wild life viewing, this was my first experience of seeing a bear fairly close up, at a safe distance. We got to see them making thier rounds looking for food, wandiering on the road and in the creek, they were easiliy startled and would leave in a hurry not wanting to have naything to do with humans.
This is a memory we will all share and cherish for years to come..
Thanks Allen & April and Staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank redfishlady

Been to Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort? Share your experiences!