“Terrible experience. They have no right being in customer service.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larsen Bay
Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larsen Bay
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Terrible experience. They have no right being in customer service.”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Allen was rude and made no attempts to make us feel welcome. We caught well over three hundred pounds of fish and he only sent us 96. When we called him and asked about it he told us we ate the rest when we were there. We only stayed there four nights. He basically stole two hundred pounds of fish, that's over three thousand dollars worth of fish. Whats the point of paying a thousand dollars a night and bring home far less than half your fish.

It was very frustrating and I would never recommend them to another person. I've been to three Alaskan lodges and this was the worst experience by far. Allen is only in this for the money and in no way wants to provide a good service to customers. The lodge is cold and looks staged, not welcoming, you just want to hide in your room when not fishing because you feel that Allen doesn't want you there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
34 Thank luvthaoutdoors

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
vancouver, washington
Reviewed August 25, 2010

If you want to get the big one, and have a bunch of fun, this is the place. Great bears to see, food is awesome, and staff tries very hard to see to it that you are happy. The crab feed was great, I never liked crab before I went, it was very good. I would recommend them or Kodiak Lodge. I was able to stay at both places and they are both AWESOME!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I spent the weekend at this top notch fishing resort. To start you receive a warm welcome at the landing strip. They take you to a lodge that far exceeds expectations and is very very clean. It has a warm feeling like they have invited you into their home. The food is absolutely tremendous, you will not go hungry. We went silver and halibut fishing with great sucess. They have a really nice boat and two captains went on the trips, they spend plenty of time with each person to make sure everyone has the chance to catch fish. We fished salmon and halbut while whales swan around us. Everyone was very nice and I just can't say enough about how great of a time I had. This is the perfect place to take a Once in a lifetime Alaska adventure. Someday I will go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mikel552
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I have fished Alaska twice before, in Ketchican and on the Kenai Peninsula but never experienced anything like this. Accomodations, service and personnel were simply first rate. The boat crew were fantastic and really know how to put you onto the fish and then will help you out at every opportunity. Joe and Raif were just first rate. The lodge was magnificent, the food was great and everyone was as friendly as could be. The fishing was fantastic with limits of silvers and halibut every day. We even did our imitation of deadliest catch and harvested two dozen crabs from a crab pot and had an outdoor crab feast just hours after harvesting them. Now that is what I call fresh. Saw a number of bears, some quite close and the ever friendly fox that visited the lodge in the evenings. Weather was great but changeable but the catamaran boat used was perfect for all weather. Go and you will have a fantastic time. This trip exceeded all my expectations by far and the 100 pounds of fish are now in my frig with friends and family asking when the next dinner party will be. You can't go wrong with Kodiak Island Resort. I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Carpinteria, California
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I fished in Alaska in 2009 with a group of Lady Anglers, at another lodge. My husband and son really wanted to go, after I got back with all my Alaska fish stories. But my husband wanted to go somewhere more remote and not so may people. We decided to make it a family trip and take our 2 grown sons (21 & 27). We fish often in the southern California area, Santa Barbara Channel Islands, Catalina and San Diego.
Fishing in the inlets in and around Larsen Bay is like nothing else. The waters are calm and teeming with wildlife - we saw whales, sea otters, eagles, puffin, loons, dolphin/porpoise every day, in the distance and sometimes very close to the boat. Captain Joe put us on fish without fail, changed up the lures when trolling to attract the Salmon. Great Action. Most of the halibut were kept in the 30 50 lb range with 3 dureing the 4 days reaching 110, 85 and 75 lbs. Our youngest son hooked into an 85 lb halibut on the 4th day during the last 1/2 hour of fishing - what a thrill.
The lodge was comfortable and lovely, The Chef prepared wonderful meals handling all of our various food issues in stride. Our rooms were reallly wonderful. The lodge is right on the bay with wonderful views and regular wild life viewing, this was my first experience of seeing a bear fairly close up, at a safe distance. We got to see them making thier rounds looking for food, wandiering on the road and in the creek, they were easiliy startled and would leave in a hurry not wanting to have naything to do with humans.
This is a memory we will all share and cherish for years to come..
Thanks Allen & April and Staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank redfishlady
Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I visited Kodiak Island Resort with some family members who had been there twice before. They had raved over the fishing in the Larsen Bay area. Their raving did not do the place justice. On day one I found myself reeling up a 60+ lb. halibut while a puffin circled a fin whale that was spouting near our boat. On another day we had halibut literally trying to jump into the boat in some crazed feeding frenzy. On the way back to the resort from fishing one of our guides spotted a bear near the water. We floated over near the bear and even watched the bear come right down to the water to grab a fish. In fact we saw bears every day we were there. Sometimes walking down the road, sometimes walking down the beach. We also saw humpback whales, sea otters, a baby fox, dahl porpoise, jelly fish, deer, etc.

While the wildlife and fishing were the stars of the trip, the resort is amazing for a number of reasons. First, the owners (April and Allen) are onsite. April and Allen gauged our interests at the beginning of the trip and made sure that our expectations were being met (we all agreed that our expectations were EXCEEDED). Further, the staff at the resort is amazing. The fishing guides were so knowledgable and fun to fish with. They had some amazing technology on the boat that allowed them to find fish consistently. We never stayed anywhere long if the fish weren't biting at that spot. And I cannot forget to mention the amazing chef. The food we ate at the resort was the best food we had on our entire trip (and we at at some really nice restaurants in Anchorage and Seward). The chef was even kind enough to share his fish cooking tips with us to use on the fish that we took home.

Overall, I would categorize my time at Kodiak Island Resort as a truly amazing way to see some of the very best Alaska has to offer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jennybriner
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My 10 year old son and I have been fortunate to have fished and stay in many places. The experience that I was able to enjoy @ Kodiak Island Resort was the best so far. The ultimate endorsement I can give is that if we are financially able to do it again I will jump at the chance. Unlike many of the vacationers and sportsman that visit KIR, I am one that has to save throughout the year to afford the opportunity and privilege to visit this wonderful paradise. Much like many businesses and intimate travel destinations the experience is highly dependent upon the people. The staff at KIR was fantastic, April with the hospitality, Glenn with some of the best meals I have ever had, Joe & Rafe with the best fishing experience ever, and off course Alan, one of the most memorable and fun personalities I have ever met ( his bark is worse that his bite).

If you have the chance to experience and Alaskan fishing trip this is the only place I can imagine going.

Alan was very bold in saying that that KIR would exceed my expectations. Well guess what mission accomplished!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort? Share your experiences!