“Silver salmon fishing in Kodiak”

Kodiak Russian River Lodge
Kodiak Russian River Lodge
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at Russian River Lodge in Kodiak this past September during Silver season. We found the lodge to have everything we needed & more. Gus was a fabulous host and actually cooked us dinner one night. The rooms were big & clean and very accomidating. The fish packing & shipping services were great as well. Thank you Gus. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Patti M

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I generally do not critisize anyone else's review because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have to say that JohnluvsAK does not see the beauty of Kodiak, or the awesome accomadations and GREAT value Gus provides. This place is not the Embassy Suites in Anchorage and maybe that is what he is looking for. However, what Gus provides is AWESOME!!!

If you are looking for a great place to stay while fishing the great state of Alaska and especially the awesome city of Kodiak, the RussionRiverLodge can't be beat.

Gus is right in the middle of the road system in one of the most beautiful locations in Kodiak.

He has the best setup for fish processing available anywhere and is willing to let you use his fillet station and processing tables to process your oun fish if you want. We do because we like the experience of doing it ourselves. We also have Gus do a few days of our catch because he does such a beatiful job of meking them pretty. He uses a Vac Master machine do seal the fillet so they come out perfect and well sealed.

He has vans to rent that work out great for fishing and expects you to get them smelling like fish.

Gus is an awesome host with a huge amount of local knowledge he is more than willing to share. His service can't be beat. He also has lots of local friends that stop by and are willing to share their knowledge as well.

I have been coming to Alaska fising for the past 20 years or so and have never stayed anywhere that has what Gus has to offer for a GREAT fishing trip.

I have stayed with Gus 3 of the past 4 years and since I have found his place I don't plan to ever stay anywhere else if I am going to Kodiak.

I feel that Gus have become a true friend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kodiak4US
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Kodiak Russian River Lodge on two occasions. We have found the facility to be clean and very comfortable. Gus is a wonderful host and a wealth of local knowledge.

The service far exceeds our expectations.

If you are seeking a place that is just like home, this is it!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in July. I don't see how anyone could call this a B&B. The bed linens were old musty dirty smelling, the food for breakfast was moldy. The coffee maker had molded coffee grinds left in it. The rooms were located right above were the fish were processed so you had a nice smell of fish carcasses. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay in town
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnluvsAK
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at the Kodiak Russian River Lodge operated by Robert (Gus) Gustafson during the Pink Salmon Run. Gus was a great host, offering not only a great place to stay that was clean and well maintained, but he gave excellant advice on where and how to fish. The rooms were large and very quiet. Access is also given to a kitchen, gathering room, and raised deck with a BBQ unit. Gus also processes the fish, vacuum packing, labeling, and freezing our catch. Upon departure Gus went the extra mile to make sure I was at the airport on time, with my frozen fish well packed for the return trip home.
I'm going back. What a great experience.

Room Tip: Choice of first or second floor units. All are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo