“A good place with good staff”

Best Western Kodiak Inn And Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kodiak Island
Bangkok, Thailand
“A good place with good staff”
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed here two times recently and have stayed here on previous occasions when we go to Kodiak Island. The rooms are good but the staff were excellent and it is in a very good location. The complimentary breakfasts are very good. We shall continue to stay here when we visit Kodiak in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
St. Peters, MO
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Upon check-in the person ahead of us was having trouble with a confirmed reservation not being in their computer. Our room was on the third floor and the elevator only went to the second floor--not so bad if you don't have heavy luggage, but we did. The room was less than clean. When I was looking for an electrical outlet to plug in a battery recharger I noticed an old apple behind the TV console. I would have to rate the room shabby at best. The topper was when they gave someone else a keycard to our room and a man walked into our room at about 10:30 at night. Fortunately, he was another guest who was as embarrassed as I was alarmed. I now know why there's a security lock on those doors. Apparently they had checked us out of the hotel that day in their computer. The breakfast was so-so. Their internet site states that they have a "harbor view"--what it doesn't say is that that view is partially obstructed by the rooftop of a building between the hotel and the harbor. Of course, when you're one of only two hotels in town I guess you don't have to try too hard.

Our primary reason for staying here was that we had an extra day in Kodiak and wanted to explore the town without having to rent a car. If we had it to do over again we'd probably stay at the Comfort Inn at the airport and take the shuttle to town, or rent a car.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EagleGal
Portland, OR
Reviewed June 14, 2009

This is said to be the "best in town", but it leaves a lot to be desired. I got a room on the third floor of the "new" wing, but they didn't say when it was new. The 80's by my guess. The disappointment started when I discovered that the elevator only went to the second floor. I then had to go down several stairs, up several stairs, down a short hallway, and then up a long flight of stairs to a long hallway to my room...all while dragging luggage.
Upon entering, I found that the room had only been given a cursory once over by the maid service. The bathroom was filthy and unsanitary...new towels, so I knew the maid had been in, but the tub, sink, and toilet had obviously not been touched by the maid. The "Murphy" bed was another surprise.
After spending some time in the area, I found out that the "K I", as they call it, doesn't have a good reputation among the locals, especially for the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Heywoodya
Kotzebue, Alaska
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I was very impressed at everything the Kodiak Inn had to offer. The restaurant served excellent food. The amenities in the room as well as available to guests were great compared to other similarly priced hotels I've stayed at in Alaska. There was a power outage during the night, and my alarm clock had battery back up! I didn't over-sleep as many of my colleagues did. The breakfast room has an outstanding view, hot gravy and biscuits, and great coffee!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Anchorage
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Spent one night in Kodiak and booked this hotel through Costco travel.

The shuttle picked us up from the airport and even though we arrived before check-in, the front desk allowed us to check in early. It probably helped that it is off season.

The room was on the second floor, and was clean with new-looking carpet. The bed was so comfortable! The breakfast buffet was so-so - I enjoyed the toast and orange juice more than the eggs and breakfast meat.

We didn't eat at the restaurant for dinner - it was Valentine's day and they were booked. But other restaurants are in easy walking distance.

We did enjoy the hot tub, located outside in a enclosed gazebo and made use of the business center to check in for our return flight and print boarding passes.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AkFishinQueen
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed February 3, 2008

A very convenient place to stay, right in town. I also liked the restaurant but dinner there is expensive. Free internet access and free breakfast make this an OK deal. It is expensive for what you get by mainland standards but the costs of doing business in Kodiak are high. The staff is very friendly. You do hear some noise from adjacent rooms. Very clean. Very good van service to and from the airport.

• Liked — Internet access, room well supplied
  • Disliked — noise, but not bad
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JLDCA
Atlanta Georgia
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We spent a night here on our way to the Afognak Wilderness Lodge.

The van from the airport to the motel is very prompt. Just call when you get off your plane and they will be there in 10 minutes. The Van only carries 7 people, though, and in prime season you might be among a larger group of guests trying to get to the lodge. So, you might have to wait for a second trip. A suggestion for those of you who check luggage, why don’t you be courteous and let those people who don’t check luggage go first and not have to sit around and wait for your luggage to be unloaded from the plane. Or better yet, learn not to over pack and carry on your own luggage. Travel is much more fun when you pack light. Rule to live by: if it doesn’t fit in a single carryon, you really don’t need it.

The included breakfast is great.

At night the place is so quiet, it is almost eerie. There is no HVAC running in the summer like we lower 48ers are used to and the walls are so thick you can’t hear anything from the room next door.

The motel is ideally located in Kodiak. There really is no place else to stay.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple