“We went twice”

Old Powerhouse Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Formerly served as Old Powerhouse Restaurant, now we serve seafood, Sushi and other Japanese dishes, and stakes. We are locating on water. Come and enjoy our dishes and view.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Excellent fish and Japanese food.
Great views - even had a seal lion swimming just outside.
The first visit, the service was extremely brisk.
The second visit, we had a guy who was excellent, only the food came out at different times, so no one ate together.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We didn't know where to eat, but wondered into the Old Powerhouse. The food was very good and plentiful. I recommend eating here. Enjoyed sitting along the water and watching the boats go by.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our host recommended this restaurant. It was quite crowded when we dined (with reservations) and we waited a long time for our waitress to come to the table at first and then service was pretty slow throughout dinner. The food was good but choices were mostly sushi and Japanese which we weren't fully expecting. View is okay if you sit near a window and face away from the harbor.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at the Old Powerhouse 2 nights in a row in August 2013. The fish was simply fabulous! We started with the halibut or Pacific Cod appetizers (with lemon butter), and both melted in your mouth. The salmon and halibut dinners were equally wonderful, again broiled perfectly with lemon butter. I am certain the sushi was also fine, but my spouse doesn't particularly like it. This is, far and away, the best restaurant in Kodiak. They know how to cook fish which is moist and delicious. So, even if you're not a sushi lover, the fish is super.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Because of all the kudos which preceded our eating here, I guess my expectations were a bit high. The atmosphere almost seems like a restaurant which is only half done with it's "makeover"- just never really put finishing touches on it all. It has some serious potential decor-wise. As far as the menu, I've only been here twice and both times had sushi and tempura vegetables. They were very good. My other half ordered halibut but they were out of it. The rest of the menu did not appeal to me, unfortunately. I recently read the State's inspections of local restaurants. It was last year's inspection for this restaurant that I had read, so I truly hope they've taken care of the issues that were marked in the inspector's report. I can almost see into the kitchen when standing at the hostess counter and can see why there wouldn't be any harm is sprucing it up a bit to avoid such issues. Anyway, average is what I will say, but only for sushi since that's all I've had. For Asian inspired noodle dishes, "Noodles" is my favorite so far (a different restaurant) in Kodiak.