“Great Location...strange room setup”
Review of Gilmore Hotel

Gilmore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My friend and I got a room because we were celebrating her birthday in downtown and the Gilmore was the closest. When we checked in, the receptionist was great and we had a few laughs with her and she even upgraded us to a room with two beds instead of one, which was pretty awesome of her.
OK, now for the problems:
1.) wifi. The password I was given didn't work and when I asked about it, I was told that it was the correct password and that maybe there was something wrong with my computer. (yeah...I don't know how to work my computer...that's probably it...)
2.) furniture placement. The sink was not in the bathroom but instead nestled snugly against my friend's bed so that while she napped I had no access to the sink with out sitting on her bed.
3.) Breakfast in the morning. We were excited to hear there was a continental breakfast but when we walked down stairs at 7 in the morning we were greeted with a dozen store-bough mini muffins, two cartons of juice, cereal with no milk, and no coffee cups.

Other than the location, I really didn't see any upsides to staying at the Gilmore.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the water, the view is awesome :)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LTL4874

Reviewed October 8, 2012

What a find. Historic building adds character and charm. Location is central to lots of activities and there is a wonderful restaurant attached. Enjoyed the free breakfast and found out it is a locally owned family business...it sure shows in the service.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a great water view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Great rooms at a fair price. Nice hotel in the middle of town. Every staff-member is pleasant. After a few nights, it'll feel like home. You can walk anywhere. Restaurant is superb with comfy bar and nice menu. 24-hour coffee in lobby. Free breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kathleenkaska
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Where do I begin...there are so many issues, but I'll be brief and to the point.
I reserved one type of room, got another. On the plus side, they let me check in early and the girl was very friendly. But that's where the smiles end.
The room was their deluxe large 2-bedroom queen, though I think the beds were doubles. The room faced a wall in the back on the to floor and the noise from the kitchen never ended until the kitchen closed around 11pm or midnight. The room was dismal and had a funky smell. The lighting was terrible and made the room even more gloomy. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was a 1-piece plastic form stall.
However- what got me really fired up was the fact that there was ZERO hot water. I called the front desk. The guy said he would put in a request to maintenance to have it fixed and to give it about 45 minutes. I happened upon the maintenance man, who told me that there would be no hot water because they replaced the boiler for the entire hotel a month ago and that it did not sufficiently heat the water, and that they had been waiting about as long to receive a part that would help heat it properly. So they knew 2 weeks prior when I booked my room, and again the night I asked about getting some hot water that there was none. Not very scrupulous in my book.
If you're a couple guys staying overnight to go fish somewhere and need a place with a good location and don't mind a dark and dismal room, this could work for you. But if you're looking for a nice room with even remotely updated decour, you definitely do not want to stay here. I'd guess the Super 8 would have a nicer room than this place.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here and want ANY sort of view, the rooms along the street have a nice o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Bill M
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Tried to reserve online but there was an issue with the system - called hotel to reserve and the desk cerk told me she would prefer to not have to make the reservation and could I please book online. So I did as I assumed her lack of enthusiasm would be the worst of the experience and the hotel appeared to be quaint and stylish.
Arrived by ferry from Prince Rupert at 12:30pm on a Saturday and was not told by the desk clerk that the entire town shuts down at 2pm when the cruise ships leave - I guess Ketchikan doesn't need other travellers? The room was not clean. The bathroom was dirty and there were coils of hair on the floor and a garbage bag stuffed in to the window in the shower. We decided it was pointless to try to change rooms and made the best of it.
My friend and I wandered about for a while and then enjoyed dinner at the restaurant downstairs - VERY GOOD FOOD!!
After walking around town and running into many other tourists who were also with nothing to do but wander around we returned to our room. I wanted a quick shower as our next ferry was leaving early and we needed to be downstairs by 6am. Much to my surprise there was no hot water. A call to the front desk told me that the tank is shared with the restaurant and there would be no hot water for several hours. 5am the next morning - there was STILL no hot water and the front desk clerk was SOOO surprised. Nobody however apologized for the inconvenience of paying $140/night for a dirty room with no hot water.

About four days after arriving home I got an email from the hotel thanking me for my stay and asking for feedback - i politely provided them with feedback and what a surprise - I got NO response.

I stayed at an eco resort in Panama that had no electricity but I STILL had hot running water from a solar warmed roof cistern. In North America for $140/night hot water should not be considered a luxury.

Ketchikan is worth the visit but I will arrive and leave on a cruise ship for any further visits and i recommend you do too!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Trish L
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Checked in paid 96 dollars for the room.The first room they sent me to smelled so much like rotten fish I almost thew up.I was then given another room w itch no ac it was so hot I had to open the windows which made it better and then went to sleep.When I woke up the next day I was itching like mad from bug bites all over me at last count it was 64 bites I am miserable .I have scabs all over my body from scratching I look like a leper.I have been in Alaska for the past 5 years and I'm used to being robbed by the local hotels but this was by far the worse place I have ever stayed it was dirty and the place stunk.I have stayed in better hotels in the phillipines for 5 dollars a night.My advice is if you go to Ketchikan take a cruise ther and sleep on the boat.

Room Tip: Don't think ther is one
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank barryadamar42
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Old stuffy rooms with some rooms where the view is the next building wall 6 feet away
You can speak to your neighbours through the wall
Service pathetic
If you stayover they ask or you need any room service
Like you want to clean up for $170 a night!!!!
No service manager available on Sunday 19 august
Room not cleaned at 16h00
?cleaning lady left

Never ever again
Booked 6/12 ago
No aircon no ventilation
Warned by check in lady room can get toasty
When asked about waiting for a manager was told have a blast while waiting
No skills to deal with customers

• Stayed: August 2012