“Ketchikan was great, will stay somewhere else next time”
Review of Super 8 Ketchikan

Super 8 Ketchikan
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
SoCal
“Ketchikan was great, will stay somewhere else next time”
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Went to Ketchikan for some fishing with my family. Decided to stay at the Super 8 Motel. Not sure I would stay here again.

Check in was ok, room was pretty basic, two double beds, small desk area, did not think there were enough lamps, kind of dark. Bathroom was also pretty basic with very small bars of soap and paper items, ran out of kleenex, did not get replaced. Room is heated, but you have to ask front desk to turn on the heat. No screen on the windows, fortunately, the Alaskan mosquitos did not figure it out, as we had to keep windows open at night. No refrigerator.

Location is OK, next to McDonalds and Safeway grocery store, but can be loud in morning. Fairly close to the ferry to get to the airport. Not the quietest hotel around

Breakfast is minimal--store bagels, coffee, juice, cereal and microwave oatmeal in styrofoam bowls. Breakfast is included with price of room. They do have a freezer for storing fish you catch, but it was full before we got to use it. They have laundry facility and vending machines.

While I was there they seemed to be having some staffing problems--front desk people missing shifts, breakfast room people missing shifts. Felt kind of sorry for the poor lady who was there when we checked in at 4pm on Saturday and was in breakfast room when we ate breakfast at 7am on Sunday.

I would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Rooms in Ketchikan/price
  • Disliked — Rooms kind of dark, staff issues
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Kasaan
Reviewed February 7, 2008

I have been a customer of Super 8 Ketchikan many times in the last 2 years, and the motel now has a new manager, who is MUCH better than the last one, but too bad for Ketchikan guests, she will not be staying on. She's a very gracious lady, a true hostess. My room was clean, as was the hall carpeting, al-though it was not always so, as were some carpeting in some rooms was not always well cleaned. The previous manager accused me of spreading tales of their troubles with bed bugs, but no doubt that story went all over town before it came to my ears! I didn't even know they had once had a bug problem, else I may not have stayed there! ( I suspect one of the disgruntled former staff told that story all over the place! ) I never saw any bugs there, in the last two years, so it was an isolated incedent, and dealt with quickly and well. The daytime front desk man, Victor is also a very hospitable and gracious host, but alas he will be moving back to California in the fall. The staff were all very nice to me, so no complaints there. It's true there is FAR too much noise in the summer months for those wanting peace and quiet, with seaplanes taking off literally dozens of times per day! No naps possible then, unless you bring shooters ear muffs on your trip to Ketchikan! I suggest the company reduce room rates in summer, since it can't offer the quietness so many come to Alaska for. The location is good, right close to the bus line, Safeway store and mall. I like to dine in my room on deli food out of the Safeway store, and with the microwave oven in the lobby, I can eat it hot. The breakfasts have im-proved, but are not yet deluxe.

Stayed January 2008
USA
Reviewed September 6, 2007

My family stayed in Room 402 and the cleaning person, or someone with access to the room, took a brand new jacket off the sofa on September 1, 2007. The manager Kerry Anderson was not available on that day, but when reached by phone, he said no lost items were entered into the lost and found, so we are out of luck. He probably treats the staff as poorly as the customers. Your room is NOT secure at the Super 8. Don't leave anything of value in the room.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Ketchikan hotels

Moses Lake, Washington
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Management was flawless, room was flawless, great DSL speed, and the corner room over the water was worth the extra $$.

• Liked — the view from the room
  • Disliked — only stayed one night
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed August 12, 2007

Alaska Airline placed me there after my flight to Wrangel got cancelled because of the weather conditions.

Pros:
Check-in was smooth.
safe with the key in the room
breakfast is included (but it was very simple - cerial, oatmil, coffe)

Cons:
Carpet in the room was sticky
Stains on the walls
Bathroom had hair in the tub (so i didn't shower)

I cannot comment on the price since i didn't have to pay for it.

bottom line - i would not stay there if i'd have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
SEAlaska104
Reviewed March 23, 2007

Absolutely horrible. DO NOT STAY HERE. I have never been more mistreated by a service person than I was by Kerry Anderson (manager). I requested my pet deposit of $10 back because the room was not clean, trash was not taken out, non-smoking room smelled of strong smoke as the night went on and in the end he did not refund my deposit but added $40 to my bill when it showed up on my credit card. I have my receipt documenting the difference. I felt so sorry for the desk person when this manager got in my face and chewed me out telling me things he said he told me when he had not, everything he said was a complete lie. I had been very friendly about it but decided to say something because it was the third time we had stayed there since Christmas and every time it was terrible. We have regularly stayed at this hotel for 10 years but will not again. I lost my temper with Kerry, a first for me in 40 years of consuming products and services.

• Liked — Past experience before the last year
  • Disliked — Business manager attacked me for reporting that the room was dirty and smoke filtered into my nonsmoking room.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank SEAlaska104Alaska
kennewick wa
Reviewed December 26, 2006

Most horrible experience I have ever had arrived at the airport called the hotel and the front desk person told me the hotel shuttel was free and they would be to the airport to pick me up..I had never been to Ketchikan before and had no idea that I was on a different island (gravina) waited one hour in the rain with two kids called the hotel back and they where very rude about telling me how to get to Ketchikan. Caught the ferry and waited another hour in the rain and wind just to be picked up by a rude drver. checked in hairs in the tub, urine on the toilet and could clearly tell the floor hadnt been cleaned in the bathroom. had to wait another hour for room to be remade because there where no other rooms available. many drunks and very loud fights and what not from the bar next door and kids screaming in the parking lot from 11pm till 2am. and to top it all off we all got bed bugs in all of our belongs and they only offered to wash our clothings and accused us of bringing the bed bugs. I will NEVER stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — it was by the water
  • Disliked — the bed bugs
  • Tips/Secrets — dont stay here