“Good food, good service”
Review of Pioneer Cafe

Pioneer Cafe
Ranked #13 of 73 Restaurants in Ketchikan
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed July 10, 2013

While vacationing for a week in Ketchikan....
We ate at Pioneer Cafe once for breakfast and once for lunch. My husband and I both got the country platter ($12.99) for breakfast and it was huge. 4 pieces of sausage, two biscuits, gravy, 2 eggs, hashbrowns.....I ate leftovers the next day for breakfast!
We had the yummy clam chowder and sandwiches for lunch. I enjoyed the BLT and my husband got the reuben. Spent about $10 each.
Service is good -- they stay busy, but server was still pretty attentive. Water is provided when you sit down, which is a nice touch.
This is a mostly locals place, owned by locals, so we were happy to support them.
Next time, I want to try the blueberry pancakes, reindeer sausage and some of the great-sounding lunch specials! Typcal diner food, but tasty!

There are newer reviews for Pioneer Cafe

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Ate at Pioneer once for fish and chips and next morning for breakfast. Food was good as was the service. Will eat there again next year when we are in Ketchikan. It can be a little busy when the ships are in port so plan for that.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Terrible experience! I wish we had actually walked out while waiting for the food instead of sticking it out for the 30 minutes it took to receive it. We ordered the fresh halo it fish and chips. They were described as being local, hand-breaded, fresh halibut with fries and 1 condiment. The only "plus" is that they came with 2: tartar sauce and cocktail sauce -- not sure that's a plus. The fish was dry, and there may have been 5 bites. The fries weren't worth even finishing. There was some garlic toast on top that appeared to have been dipped in a vat of butter and baked dry -- not sure how they got so mucho butter in there. The wait staff disappeared for so long that our meal had actually been sitting on the counter for at least 10 minutes before being brought to us. I'm not sure that it would have tasted any better had we gotten it right away.
Total ripoff too: $18 for something that I wouldn't feed my dog.
Like I said, my experience would have been much better had I left while waiting for the food. No one to complain to, since everyone ran off before I could even say anything.
It's a mystery how they stay in business.

1  Thank TotalFoodSnob
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had breakfast for lunch - French toast - was pretty basic but good. Husband had the reindeer hot dog and really enjoyed it. Reminds me of the diners I'm used to seeing in northern Michigan - local place with friendly service. We enjoyed it!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Route 66 theme, and in the tourist area for convenience, the food is canned and everything is breaded but the owners were very nice. It is obviously a locals hangout and when we walked in, everyone turned to stare.

Been to Pioneer Cafe? Share your experiences!