“good food, local place”

Pioneer Cafe
Ranked #13 of 66 Restaurants in Ketchikan
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Emmons, Minnesota
“good food, local place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Ate at Pioneer once for fish and chips and next morning for breakfast. Food was good as was the service. Will eat there again next year when we are in Ketchikan. It can be a little busy when the ships are in port so plan for that.

• Visited June 2013

Anacortes, Washington
“PLEASE DON'T GO HERE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Terrible experience! I wish we had actually walked out while waiting for the food instead of sticking it out for the 30 minutes it took to receive it. We ordered the fresh halo it fish and chips. They were described as being local, hand-breaded, fresh halibut with fries and 1 condiment. The only "plus" is that they came with 2: tartar sauce and cocktail sauce -- not sure that's a plus. The fish was dry, and there may have been 5 bites. The fries weren't worth even finishing. There was some garlic toast on top that appeared to have been dipped in a vat of butter and baked dry -- not sure how they got so mucho butter in there. The wait staff disappeared for so long that our meal had actually been sitting on the counter for at least 10 minutes before being brought to us. I'm not sure that it would have tasted any better had we gotten it right away.
Total ripoff too: $18 for something that I wouldn't feed my dog.
Like I said, my experience would have been much better had I left while waiting for the food. No one to complain to, since everyone ran off before I could even say anything.
It's a mystery how they stay in business.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TotalFoodSnob
Tennessee
“Reindeer Hot Dog Anyone?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had breakfast for lunch - French toast - was pretty basic but good. Husband had the reindeer hot dog and really enjoyed it. Reminds me of the diners I'm used to seeing in northern Michigan - local place with friendly service. We enjoyed it!

• Visited May 2013
Las Vegas, NV
“Mom and Pop place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Route 66 theme, and in the tourist area for convenience, the food is canned and everything is breaded but the owners were very nice. It is obviously a locals hangout and when we walked in, everyone turned to stare.

Visited April 2013
Ketchikan, Alaska, United States
“Many generations of good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

between me, my niece, and grandfather, we might as well have a designated seat with our names on them. I have been coming here since I was a little girl when it was just called the Pioneer on front street right next to their competition Jimbo's. And the company is great every time we are here!

Visited April 2013