“Great B&B”

Ranked #1 of 18 Ketchikan B&B and Inns
Spokane, Washington
“Great B&B”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have stayed at the Black Bear Inn in Ketchikan, Alaska each summer for 7 or 8 years now. I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed my stay each time. It is professionally run by a great husband & wife team, they have taken great care of me and my business partners, they have great accomodations and have been great to work with. I expect to be back there next summer and would not stay anywhere else!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was heading up to Craig for a fishing trip and came into ketchikan a few days early to knock around. I booked a room here with Nicole and James - boy did that turn out to be a good move. Beautiful room, great location on the water, good eats in the morning and probably most importantly great advice from Nicole on what to do, where to go, hikes, kayak arrangements, etc.

I rented a car which was a great move - I roamed all over the area.

I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We highly recommend the Black Bear Inn for anyone visiting Kethcikan, Alaska. Nicole & Jim (the owners & operators) have a lovely home and took amazing care of us. It's quiet, right on the water, has lovely views, beautifully furnished rooms and luxurious bedding. Nicole booked all of our daily excursions/adventures and this really helped. We had the time of our lives on this incredible Alaska trip. If possible, don't just limit yourself to a cruise ship experience of up to 6 hours in Ketchikan! Stay a whole week like we did. There are so many fun things to do in Ketchikan, you can keep busy or relax, as you wish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were a family of three visiting Alaska from Cyprus for a short holiday of three days. Nicole greeted us very warmly and she was extremely helpful throughout our stay. The rooms were very comfortable and the location of the house (on the water) provided amazing views. In the garden one could also relax in the hot tub on by the picnic/BBQ area.
There was a huge selection of different breakfast items that one could combine to create the perfect breakfast according to his/her taste. The breakfast area also provided amazing views of the sea.
Overall Nicole and her husband were amazing hosts and were kind enough to offer us some preserved salmon to take back home with us. This was one of the best holiday experiences that we have ever had!

Room Tip: Ground Floor room so as to have direct access to the garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I and 3 friends stayed at the Black Bear Inn for 4 nights from August 3-7, 2013. Located at waters edge on the Tongass Narrows this absolutely lovely B & B is just a few miles from town and provides an Alaska experience away from the crowds. Here you can relax on the patio under tall trees while observing boats on the waters of the narrows, birds, sea otters, the setting sun, etc. or soak in the hot tub affording the same magnificent views. There is also an outdoor BBQ available and while we were there several guests used it to prepare their freshly caught salmon and halibut for dinner which they ate at tables provided on the patio (the hot tub and BBQ area is covered thus providing protection if it is raining). The Black Bear Inn is immaculately clean, charmingly decorated and exceptionally comfortable. The kitchen is well stocked with a wide variety of breakfast items and being able to prepare breakfast on our schedule was a big plus. We do not agree with the review dated 8-4-13 re: horrible mattresses and bedding. On the contrary, we found the beds to be extremely comfortable with very high quality mattresses and bedding. Owners, Nicole and Jim, are very friendly and extremely knowledgeable about activities, hikes, good restaurants, etc in the area. Nicole will eagerly make reservations for you for activities, etc. She will also do a load of wash for you. She knows many people in Ketchikan and helped us get a car rental for a very reasonable price. We highly recommend the Black Bear Inn. Milli

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent and are quiet and have great views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Cute rooms that you can tell have had a lot of time and love but into them. Totally what you think of for Alaska.

Pros
Great service
Clean
Cute

Cons
Horrible mattress and bedding
Nothing to walk to for shopping and food

• Stayed July 2013
Msdetail, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and giving us an outstanding rating. I am sorry that you did not realize that the Inn is 4 miles north of the cruise ship docks where most of the tourist shops are located. We do have 2 restaurants that are less than a mile away from us and one of them will come and pick you up for dinner and bring you back to the Inn for free. For basic things there is also a Wal-Mart a mile from us and a liqueur store, coffee house and pizza shop 2 miles north.The city bus stops at the Inn once each hour on its way north or south so you can always get into town to shop.

Our wooded, waterfront property allows our guests to get a true feeling for what it is like to live in Alaska. You can see birds, sea life and forest animals right from your own porch. The north end of the Island offers so much for our guests to do. We are just 21/2 miles from Ward Lake and outstanding hiking trails.

We always encourage our guests to rent a car, unless they are only here for one night. Our Island is in the Tongass National Forest and we feel it would be a real shame to spend the money to come to Alaska and not be able to get out and experience our beautiful Island.

Your comment about your mattress and bedding really puzzles and bothers me. I wish I knew which room you stayed in. Our mattresses are high quality pillow top/memory foam, our comforter sets price between $300 and $450 each and our mattress pads coast $125 each. We replace all of our bed linens on a regular bases. Almost daily our guests tell us how comfortable the beds are and how well they slept. Many of them say it was the best nights sleep they have had in years.

The comfort of our guests is our main objective so I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations.
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 22, 2013

To be honest this is my very first review on Trip Advisor!
Spent some time in Ketchikan as a teen, decided to
bring my daughter up, wanted to keep up a family tradition.
It was a last minute trip and I was having a hard time finding a place to stay.
I found the Black Bear Inn on-line and was able to reach the owner, Nicole on my first attempt. She had the “Eagle’s Nest” available so I booked it.
It was perfect, we had our own little apartment to ourselves.
It was spacious, clean and in a great location.
5 minutes from Downtown and 15 from Knudson Cove.
The back yard went down to the water, great for beach combing!
Let me cut to the chase......
When I booked this trip I was traveling for work and didn’t have much time to figure out what to do once we arrived.
Nicole took that torch and ran with it!
She worked with me and booked numerous activities for my daughter and I to do.
Those included: The Ketchikan Outdoors Zodiac Tour, Fishing Charters, Floatplane to Anan Bear Observatory, Jeep/ Canoe trip and the Deadliest Catch Crab excursion.
All of which were amazing, I’ll get back to that....
The point being, Nicole handled everything, she corresponded with me and took the time to set everything up for us.
I strongly recommend having a rental car!
I’m a single Dad, so my time with my daughter is precious.
I have travel the world for work.....I told my daughter on the flight home, this is the best trip I’ve ever had, it really was.

FAMILY REVIEW.......
Nicole set us up with a bunch of different activities....two of which were fishing charters.
She mentioned to both Captains that I was bringing my 7yr old.
On both occasions the Captain brought either their Daughter or Granddaughter both girls were around the same age as my daughter. It was PERFECT!
I can’t tell you how beneficial that was!!! Not only did my daughter get to fish and make friends, but Daddy had time to catch his limit of salmon too!
I can’t say enough good things about Nicole the Black Bear Inn and the trip she put together for us!
My Daughters “Favorites” in order:
1-Ketchikan Outdoors Zodiac Tour: She loved it so much we went twice!
HINT: Go later in the afternoon after the Cruise Folks need to leave.
We ended up having two private tours.
It was just our boat and our guide in his boat!
2-Floatplane trip to Anan Bear Observatory flew in with Family Air, great pilot!
Unbelievable trip saw tons of bears eagles, and seals.
Even a Grizzly with her two cubs
You’re in the wild with bears so if that makes you nervous, maybe not the trip for you?
3-Fishing Charters brought home over 54lbs of fish!
Captain Rich and Captain Tony
4-Deadliest Catch Tour on the Aleutian Ballad
5-Jeep/Canoe Tour
The jeep was too bumpy for her.
Our trip was in the middle of July, just be aware that the wildlife does have it’s seasons.
I pulled out all the stops for this trip, so price was not an issue. Some of these expeditions are expensive, FYI.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family