“A warm Welcome awaits you”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Bear Inn

Black Bear Inn
Ranked #1 of 18 Ketchikan B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A warm Welcome awaits you”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is the best place to stay in Kechikan without a doubt. A very welcoming, spotlessly clean Inn. We have stayed in the lovely apartment and the bunkhouse, beautifully restored with its own little patio area. There is a fantastic undercover BBQ area, best equipped I have ever come across and the hot tub was a real treat after some long hikes through the ancient misty forests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband & I celebrated our birthdays by going to Alaska. We love Bed N Breakfast accommodations. The brochure online looked quite inviting, warm, friendly and not stiff and uncomfy! We came across on the Alaska Marine Highway and wanted to stay close to town. When we were met by Nicole & Jim, we immediately felt at home, and as if we already knew them. The kitchen was open 24/7 which I really appreciated, as I tend to "nibble" at all hours. Nicole even did our laundry, which was a 1st for us!! I invited them to stay with us if they ever came to town!! They told us which places to visit, where to eat, and arranged the boat charter for our fishing expedition. Wonderful people!!! I truly miss them. We look forward to returning there.

Room Tip: We loved the Homestead Room--warm, outdoor patio, huge bathroom and quiet--loved the fireplace the m...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My hubby and I got off a cruise in Ketchican, I was to stay by myself at the Black Bear Inn for 4 days while my hubby went fishing to the Prince Of Whales @ Waterfall Resort. I wanted a more small, personal, private, quiet environment and yet luxurious and above hotel standards. I must say my expectations were exceeded. The ambiance was exceptional, the grounds were lovely with a variety of flowers and beautiful views. There were Black Bear's to greet me everywhere. They followed through with details of white napkins with black bear paw prints. I was given "The Raven Room" it was exceptionally modern and clean and decorated in the theme of the room's name. Black ravens were perched high on the armoire
and on the glass coasters. Now, with all that care to visual detail the owners Jim & Nicole Church, also have genuine care for their guests. They are warmly hospitable and are a great source of information and help, they made reservations for anything that I might want to do, restaurant and/or spa, zipline.
They accommodated my needs to make my stay extraordinary. Jim drove my hubby to his fishing meeting place and dropped him off at 5am so I would not have to get up early and be disturbed. They expect nothing in return except to leave with a wonderful experience and a warm feeling like I have been hugged by a big black bear.
Their other guests were friendly and yet respectful of when I may want my privacy.
When I left I knew I wanted to bring home with me
​the genuine warmth that they gave to me.

Thanks, Jim & Nicole Church

Room Tip: All Six room's are equally quiet, private and well equipped with microwave oven, refrigerator an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Honolulu
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We are a family from Hawaii and found our stay at Black Bear Inn to be quite pleasant and enjoyable. The owners designed the home for this purpose - multiple rooms for couples, families - big and small. Bedrooms were comfy with all the amenities, big bathrooms, wifi, and mini fridge. Kitchen was open and stocked for breakfast and snacks, they even have a hot jacuzzi overlooking the water. Five minutes from the ferry dock - we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank WellTraveledSays
anchorage
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I came to the black bear inn after a pretty rough week and was greeted by two of the nicest people I have ever met. When I went into my room, it was absolutely spectacular. In addition to the great room, my hosts gave me all the inside tips on where to go in Ketchikan to have an amazing time. They even gave me a suggestion on where to find bears...and I was able to watch 6 of them during my time in the city. All around it was a tremendous time and worth every penny!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Minnesota
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I returned to Ketchikan for another great stay at the Black Bear Inn. My elegant and luxuriously appointed room was quiet and very comfortable, overlooking spectacular views of the channel. A wonderful bed with stacks of puffy pillows and silky sheets made for a great night's sleep. Jim's personal transportation to and from the ferry was prompt, convenient and most appreciated. Jim and Nicole are gracious and welcoming hosts who take great pride in their inn which is seen everywhere in their great attention to every detail. I have stayed at B and B's all around Alaska, traveling for my job, and The Black Bear Inn is as beautiful and carefully managed as any.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Davos Klosters, Switzerland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I spent 2 days in Ketchikan the Black Bear Inn. It was a very nice time with nice hosts. The rooms were clean, and very comfortable. The patio was gemial overlooking the sea. I can only recommend this property. Christophe Rochat from Switzerland

• Stayed September 2012