“Heart-racing but beautiful hike”

Deer Mountain Trail
Ranked #23 of 60 things to do in Ketchikan
Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you want something different do to at port instead of the endless shops, consider this hike. It is definitely not easy as you are traveling up at a rapid pace. We did 1 mile and it was about 1200 feet- took us about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The forest is very refreshing to observe with huge trees and waterfalls. There is a look-out about 1 mile up so make sure you make it that high because the views are incredible. We used the free GPS available at the visitor's center just as a back-up but the trail is easy to follow so you may not need it. There is a free downtown shuttle that takes you to the Totem Heritage Museum. From there it is about a 10-minute walk to the trailhead- have the bus driver point out the direction to walk in.

8  Thank Jim V
There are newer reviews for Deer Mountain Trail

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hiked this mountain path on my last day in Ketchikan. Simply beautiful! This is what a rainforest looks like up close and personal, combined with a mountain hike. The ravens were calling to each other, the matted forest floor, the trickling mountain stream and the huge cedars were a breathless view to behold. Wild blue berries and salmon berries lined the steep path and served a good excuse to stop and take a breath and snack break. I am in pretty decent shape and I needed to stop and slow down as the hike was pretty steep and footing was slippery at times. Good flexible hiking boots or trail shoes are a must. Moss grows everywhere and the lush green and earthy browns transported us to somewhere "out of this world." This hike is a must if you come to Ketchikan. We only ran into 2 people on our hike and a great way to experience this beautiful island.

6  Thank Kathie J
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

My family and I hiked this trail on July 13, 2013. We are a scouting family and are used to outdoor activities, but we wanted to save our energy for the trail, so we took the cab from the visitor center to the trailhead. (While there, be sure to borrow the free GPS locator and log your hiking plan with them.)

The trail was great! Very natural with few hikers. Wear hiking boots and bring walking poles if you have them. We climbed about 1300 feet over one and a half miles, but had to turn back as the rain was getting heavy and the rocks were getting more slippery.

Enjoy the view and the workout!

7  Thank Kirk W
Reviewed July 30, 2013

A person gains 3300 feet in 2.3 miles. It has excellent views of Tongass Narrows, Pennock Island, Nichols Passage, and beyond. The mountain is becoming pretty eroded due to people not staying on the trail, but considering the sheer bulk of people that use the trail, winter and summer, it has held up pretty well over the years. I live in Ketchikan, so I try to hike up the mountain at least 3 or 4 times a year. I always enjoy the workout. Often at the higher elevations I see ptarmigan.

2  Thank caramello51
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were on a Princess Cruise and didn't realize this hiking trail existed until later in the day. My only regret is that we didn't find it sooner. We walked from the center of town, but it was a bit of a hike. It took us about a half hour to get to the entrance of the trail. I read someone else's review who said they took an $8 cab ride to the entrance of the trail, which is a good idea since you have to go up a long winding vertical road for approx 2 miles just to get to the trail head.

The trail has different lengths depending on how long you want to hike. It's a bit desolate, which is part of the charm. There is also a lot of vertical climbing. But it's all within a rainforest with pretty creeks and lots of birds chirping.

9  Thank traveler2679