“Fantastic flight!”

Mountain Air Service
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Air Service specializes in personal flight seeing tours.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have recently returned from a cruise and land tour in Alaska and originally booked a float plane tour in the Misty Fjords of Ketchikan through our cruise company. Upon a friend's recommendation, we investigated switching to Island Wings with the promise of a better, longer, and less expensive flight, but like many others who have so favorably commented here, Island Wings was already booked but offered to book us with another company they highly recommended. I hoped that Mountain Air with Randy was the company referenced (and it was!), because I had read Trip Advisor reviews and knew already that Randy would be a good choice! Our trip with him was wonderful; he has had a lot of flight experience and has lived in the region for a long time so gave excellent commentary on the history and geography of the region...plus he is just a really nice guy! We landed at a dock in the fjords, took lots of photos everywhere, and, all in all, had a fantastic flight!

1  Thank TheWeids

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We took a recent cruisetour of Alaska and the Yukon, and I had heard that some sort of flight excursion was a 'must do'. After researching different options, I originally decided to book with Island Air. They were all booked on the day we were in port, and arranged for us to instead travel with Mountain Air for the same price and type of trip. What a great experience! Randy was a great pilot and did a super job giving information about the geography and history of Ketchikan and the Misty Fjords. The scenery was awe-inspiring and left me speechless! We flew at a high altitude going out, and landed on one of the inlets of the Fjord. We had a chance to go onto land and stretch our legs and take pictures. On the way back we took a different path to see a different part of the fjords. There were 3 in our party - myself (who is a tiny bit afraid of heights), my husband, and my father. We all loved it! The cost was a bit less than the cruise ship was charging, and we got much better value with the shore landing. I would highly recommend this excursion and Mountain Air to anyone!

1  Thank CBZJ
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our pilot Randy was great. We had a wonderful trip to Misty Fjords with our family of 4 and one other traveler. It was an incredible experience, with great views of the unbelievable scenery. We had a lovely leisurely stop in the Misty Fjords national monument with time to talk, take pictures and stretch our legs, far from the crowds.

Randy is also a great story teller who has many experiences as a pilot and a Ketchikan resident. His staff were professional and very helpful in booking our excursion, picking us up and getting us back to our ship.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were originally scheduled for a trip with another company but due to mechanical difficulties they rebooked us with Mountain Air. The trip to Misty Fjords was fantastic, the pilot was fantastic and our overall experience was topnotch. My husband and I both highly recommend this company.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had originally contacted Island Wings about taking our float plane trip because from the people I've heard from and the reviews I've read that was going to be our best option. She was booked up so she referred us to Randy at Mountain Air Service. For the money that you pay to do a trip like this you want to make sure you're getting the best you can. After talking to the Island Wings representitives serveral times they assured me we would love Randy just the same. They were spot on!! What a great company Randy has built and an awesome flight! I've not been on any other float plane trips in Ketchikan before but that doesn't mean that I can't tell the difference. First of all, on our way out to the Fjords, Randy explained that he likes to fly higher on the way out so you can get a view of all the mountains from the top. This is an awesome view because you literally fly right over the tops! When you look out your window you can see all the other planes flying lower and not getting those views. On your way back to Ketchikan Randy then flies lower between the Fjords and mountains. I didn't see any other plane flying higher to get both views. Secondly, once out in the Fjords we landed on a pristine mountain lake. We then were able to get out and enjoy the beauty and take all kinds of pictures of the mountains. Randy even insisted on taking family pictures for us! Most all other companies don't land and if you find one that does they only allow you to step out onto the pontoon and then you're done. This is why Randy's trip last longer than the others. You get 2 hours of service vs. the typical 1 1/2 hrs. Flying back to Ketchikan we flew lower and it was like seeing the beauty all over again from a different view! Bottom line is this, you might pay a few extra bucks to fly with Randy but when you're doing that "once in a lifetime trip" you need to make the most of it!!