“Very interesting” 4 of 5 bubbles

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We learned a lot about totems and the stories about them were very interesting. Nice park, and scenic waterfront views too. Skip the outhouse bathrooms you see in front and go to the normal flush toilets in the gift shop!

2 Thank AmyYas

• Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Get there early”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We took the city bus, $2 for a day pass, from downtown as soon as we got off the Cruise ship. We beat the tour buses by half an hour and it was great to see it without crowds. Like everything in Alaska the scale is incredible. The tribal houses are much bigger than I expected and the Totem pole history was great. There were plenty of places to simply stop and reflect and this is the place to do it. We spent so much time here that we had to skip the gift shop so we could take a quick running visit of Potlatch park right behind the gift shop. The two contrasting Totem styles are incredible. Next visit we will spend more time at Potlatch. Simply put if you have not seen the big totem poles up close this is a can't miss attraction to fit any budget.

4 Thank Nyrken
Seattle, Washington
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Priceless Native heritage site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

First off, the mundane. When I heard there outhouses available to use, I cringed. But get all the visions of unpleasant ones you've suffered through before out of your head - these are the largest, cleanest bathrooms you can imagine. Spotless, no odor, I don't know how they do it. Cleaner than most bathrooms you will visit in a decent restaurant - & puts the nasty public bathroom outside the Sarah Palin store in Skagway to shame.
So many huge hand carved & painted Totem poles here - they are numbered. I followed the advice to print up the brochure with individual explanations prior to my trip - because sometimes the site runs out. Then I forgot my printed brochure with explanations of each totem pole by number & also how to tell the different totems apart, on the ship. Some seem similar until you know to look for the teeth being pointed or not, etc. Anyway we had our wonderful guide from the tour I booked to explain them so I was fine anyhow & had the brochure to look at afterwards as a memento. The longhouse was made of Cedar & had a nice fragrance inside, also cool. Not overrun by tourists at all, it was a pleasant & informative stop on our port day.

Anchorage, AK
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Wonderful historical place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Refurbished totem poles, all so convenient to Ketchikan! Beautiful artwork and history of Alaska. Lots of benches to sit and enjoy the trail and the totems. Lovely beach area. I was lucky to be there on a rare sunny day, hope yours is as nice.

Visited July 2013
Seattle, Washington
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Totem Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very nice, water front state park with long house, totem repair house and lots of totem poles. Free & on the bus line.

2 Thank dreamketcher