“Best oysters ever but lackluster service”
Review of Cape Fox Lodge

Cape Fox Lodge
Ranked #12 of 74 Restaurants in Ketchikan
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The lodge has a full service dining room/lounge that we visited.
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We waited for anyone to even acknowledge our presence when we first arrived. We had to find someone to seat us. Then, we waited and waited and waited for our server to come back. We finally found someone else to help us and then she, also, disappeared. After close to twenty minutes waiting to even get water, another server helped us. He was excellent. I ordered the oysters. Holy cow. Hands down the BEST oysters I have ever eaten, anywhere. If you go, order the oysters. Just bring a snack to eat while waiting for any service.

1  Thank Marriedahoosier
Donna F, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Married a Hoosier

Thank you for the candid review. Service is the basis of our industry and even AMAZING Oysters cannot make up for poor service. As the new GM here at the Cape Fox Lodge you can be assured I take all reviews to heart and I will personally discuss this one with the Food and Beverage Manager and get to the bottom of the problem.

Thank you again for your comments and when next you dine at our Hotel be assured you will not have to wait for your meal.

JWM-GM-CFL

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We took the tram up to this restaurant, which is owned by an Alaskan Native company organized under the 1973 Alaskan Native Claims Settlement Act. It is perched right in the forest, with a warm rustic atmosphere and friendly staff. I had a generous portion of fish and chips and my husband Enjoyed the smoked salmon very much.

Donna F, Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Amanda

Thank you for your nice review of our Restaurant and Staff. Our Smoked Salmon is a favorite of many of our guests and requested by quite a few diners. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you again.

JWM-GM-CFL

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Went here Friday night with my family for my birthday dinner. It's always a toss up because the food and service seem to be very hit and miss. I hadn't gone in a while because our last experience was a 2 hour wait for food. I decided to chance it because I had a birthday letter and enjoy the atmosphere. Our server was very short with us and snappy. I asked about a past menu item and was told it never existed. I then ordered the baked halibut with mango salsa and the waiter scoffed telling me he really would recommend a different sauce with the halibut. Sorry, I am local, born and raised in Alaska, I have eaten my fair share if halibut and do in fact enjoy it with mango salsa. We were harshly instructed to keep our silverware when handing back salad plates. When trying to make light of it were met with no sense of humor or personality from the server.
Because we live here and have limited options and enjoy the setting we will return. I just encourage management to spend a little time reminding their staff about basic customer service.
The halibut with mango salsa was excellent and the mini donuts were awesome!!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

The only place I visited in the USA where I really objected to the expected practice of tipping. Non-existent service coupled with ordinary food - truly, I had to ask my family what we ate because all that stuck in our minds was how bad it was.

Donna F, Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

I am sorry to here about your experience here at the lodge and in our restaurant. We strive to give the guest the best possible experience while they stay with us. We will be continuing the customer service training for our staff to ensure a better guest experience. Thank you for your comments it helps stay focused on making positive changes within our company. Again I apologize we were off our game during your stay and will work very hard to correct it.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Food was very good , prime rib cooked perfectly.they accommodated us without reservations and we were a large group 8 people.

Been to Cape Fox Lodge? Share your experiences!