TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent customer service. Captain Rick was great!!

Our ship had a medical evac so we were late getting into Ketchikan. No problem. Captain Rick kept... read more

Reviewed July 20, 2019
Randy J
Salt Lake City, United States
Best Fishing Charter in Ketchikan

My family and I recently visited Ketchikan, Alaska. A salmon fishing charter was the top... read more

Reviewed July 10, 2018
Judy H
Fort Worth, Texas, United States

All reviews captain rick working hard smoked salmon rock fish alaskan cruise jos coho boat wildlife
Selected filters
Reviewed September 30, 2017

We fished with Big Fish Charters in September 2017. Captain Jos worked super hard to make sure that everyone on the boat got onto the fish. He is really a nice friendly personable guy with great experience in Ketchikan waters.

The boat was clean, even the restroom. Jos had bottled water and even served us some smoked salmon to help our fish luck :)

By the end of the day we had all caught salmon. My only regret is that I would have liked more time!

Date of experience: September 2017
3  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed September 25, 2017

Jos and Rick teamed up for their last trip in the end of September, and even after setting reasonable expectations based on the rough season thus far, together they helped everyone on the boat catch multiple fish on a clear, sunny day.

The boat was reasonably clean and comfortable, and the gear was up to snuff.

I'd highly recommend these guys for a trip in Ketchikan, they knew what to do and where to go. Based on the murmurs we heard afterward, our boat out-fished the entire fleet that day, several times over. Everyone went home with something, and not just some damn good salmon to eat.

Date of experience: September 2017
3  Thank epick14
Reviewed August 22, 2017

While on our Alaska cruise, on Aug 10, 2017, four of us went on our first salmon fishing excursion with Big Fish Charters.. Unfortunately, the four of us had to split up 2 in each boat due to other families, which turned out OK. Since the others on our boat were brothers who were very experience fisherman who were fun to talk and fish with and we got Capt Jos(Jaws). I am but an novice fisherman But Jaws made the experience great. He had great stories to share with us, help all with advise to catch some salmon, work very hard to move the boat to where the fish were, pointed out wildlife(eagles and sea lions), preparing the rod and us so we were not just sitting around and made sure we were all were getting hits. At one point, the three of us were on separate rods reeling in salmon at one time. Jaws even convinced Ed and me to ship the fish home,--we caught 4 Coho and 2 pink salmon-thanks Jaws!. I would highly recommend requesting Big Fish Charters and Capt Jos(Jaws) for a fun salmon fishing experience.

Date of experience: August 2017
4  Thank Beaver_Boy2
Reviewed July 20, 2017

This is my opinion of Big Fish Charters. Our group of 4 arrived at the airport and there was a vehicle waiting in the parking lot for us to just load our gear, hop on the ferry and be at the apartment within 10 minutes of departing the ferry. A very nice two bedroom with two beds with all your necessary needs and full kitchen plus a grill outside in case you needed it. The apartment was not fancy but we were there to fish. Met with Captain Rick later that day and we went over all the questions we had and a general idea of what kind of fishing we wanted to do. We left for the boat every morning at 6:15 am and fished 12 hours a day for three days. We caught Kings, Coho, Pinks and a large Chum Salmon and we also caught 2 small halibut.

Captain Rick pretty much left it up to us as to what kind of fishing we wanted to do since the Coho bite was on we fished the main part of the tide for Salmon and when it slowed down we asked to fish for Halibut. When we asked for a change Captain Rick did not blink a eye and put us on his spots, working hard trying to put us on fish. Since everyone should know, they call this fishing otherwise they would call it catching so there was no misconceptions on the few slack times we had not getting fish. During the slack times we all got to know all about the Captain and he learned a little about each of us and it was a great experience.

Our experience with Big Fish Charters was great and we will be booking with him on our future trips to Ketchikan. If we had gotten another skipper this review might be different, who knows.

Dale M

Date of experience: July 2017
4  Thank sumo1201
Reviewed September 12, 2016 via mobile

I am not a person who writes bad reviews but I feel very passionate about this one. I cannot respond to the management response (which I just saw) on my review so I want to say that for one, it is very funny that it was said that in the future you hope that I can try to work things out with the business instead of writing a poor review because I tried to do just that. Did you not receive the several messages I left saying that I did not want to leave a poor review and to see if we could work something out? We paid a lot of money for a supposed professional to take is fishing, there was no set day for salmon or halibut, we paid for both. I would expect that the captain would know the local conditions and which day would be best for what type of fishing. The other captains seemed to know the weather conditions as all of them were halibut fishing the day we salmon fished because they knew the weather was going to be poor the next day. We spoke with some of those captains. Is it a business practice of yours to rely on out of town guests for the local fishing conditions? I find it disturbing that you blame that on us. I gather from the response that it was written by Rick's wife whom we never spoke with and not Rick since the facts are not straight. We were never told that we would have to choose between a day of salmon fishing and dropping crab pots, that is ridiculous. It is also no consolation to us that ours was the only fish lost all year and I resent the fact that you insinuate that my husband did something incorrect into cause it. As I said, they were able to actually net fish on their own which is obviously the route we should have gone on the first place. We received very poor customer service as I hope that others can see reflected in your response to my previous review. I have never had a worse experience with a business, I am with the other reviewer on saying STAY CLEAR. There are some great charters out there but this is not one of them.

Date of experience: September 2016