TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent customer service. Captain Rick was great!!

Our ship had a medical evac so we were late getting into Ketchikan. No problem. Captain Rick kept... read more

Reviewed July 20, 2019
Randy J
Salt Lake City, United States
Best Fishing Charter in Ketchikan

My family and I recently visited Ketchikan, Alaska. A salmon fishing charter was the top... read more

Reviewed July 10, 2018
Judy H
Fort Worth, Texas, United States

All reviews captain rick working hard smoked salmon rock fish alaskan cruise jos coho boat wildlife
Selected filters
Reviewed July 20, 2017

This is my opinion of Big Fish Charters. Our group of 4 arrived at the airport and there was a vehicle waiting in the parking lot for us to just load our gear, hop on the ferry and be at the apartment within 10 minutes of departing the ferry. A very nice two bedroom with two beds with all your necessary needs and full kitchen plus a grill outside in case you needed it. The apartment was not fancy but we were there to fish. Met with Captain Rick later that day and we went over all the questions we had and a general idea of what kind of fishing we wanted to do. We left for the boat every morning at 6:15 am and fished 12 hours a day for three days. We caught Kings, Coho, Pinks and a large Chum Salmon and we also caught 2 small halibut.

Captain Rick pretty much left it up to us as to what kind of fishing we wanted to do since the Coho bite was on we fished the main part of the tide for Salmon and when it slowed down we asked to fish for Halibut. When we asked for a change Captain Rick did not blink a eye and put us on his spots, working hard trying to put us on fish. Since everyone should know, they call this fishing otherwise they would call it catching so there was no misconceptions on the few slack times we had not getting fish. During the slack times we all got to know all about the Captain and he learned a little about each of us and it was a great experience.

Our experience with Big Fish Charters was great and we will be booking with him on our future trips to Ketchikan. If we had gotten another skipper this review might be different, who knows.

Dale M

Date of experience: July 2017
4  Thank sumo1201
Reviewed September 12, 2016 via mobile

I am not a person who writes bad reviews but I feel very passionate about this one. I cannot respond to the management response (which I just saw) on my review so I want to say that for one, it is very funny that it was said that in the future you hope that I can try to work things out with the business instead of writing a poor review because I tried to do just that. Did you not receive the several messages I left saying that I did not want to leave a poor review and to see if we could work something out? We paid a lot of money for a supposed professional to take is fishing, there was no set day for salmon or halibut, we paid for both. I would expect that the captain would know the local conditions and which day would be best for what type of fishing. The other captains seemed to know the weather conditions as all of them were halibut fishing the day we salmon fished because they knew the weather was going to be poor the next day. We spoke with some of those captains. Is it a business practice of yours to rely on out of town guests for the local fishing conditions? I find it disturbing that you blame that on us. I gather from the response that it was written by Rick's wife whom we never spoke with and not Rick since the facts are not straight. We were never told that we would have to choose between a day of salmon fishing and dropping crab pots, that is ridiculous. It is also no consolation to us that ours was the only fish lost all year and I resent the fact that you insinuate that my husband did something incorrect into cause it. As I said, they were able to actually net fish on their own which is obviously the route we should have gone on the first place. We received very poor customer service as I hope that others can see reflected in your response to my previous review. I have never had a worse experience with a business, I am with the other reviewer on saying STAY CLEAR. There are some great charters out there but this is not one of them.

Date of experience: September 2016
3  Thank Carri A
Reviewed September 11, 2016

Captain Paul met us right at the dock, literally steps from where we got off the ship. They were very clear that the fish were not really biting when we booked, but we booked anyway, fully warned. We caught salmon and then at the end switched to fishing for rock fish so the kids could pull fish out of the water more quickly. They caught like one a minute for a while. The captain also showed us the eagles swooping at the water and seemed willing to do everything in his power to make sure we had a good time. It was also nice that the boat had a part where you could sit if you're cold and I ended up taking a nap down under since I don't really like fishing. Also they had homemade salmon dip, crackers and jerky for us on the boat. Very nice day out on the beautiful water.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank LittleJanney
Reviewed September 6, 2016

Caught lots of big fish! Great guide! Wonderful time! We were a group of 5 brothers and were on a cruise ship. This was one of the excursions offered and we were impressed with the knowledge and skill of our guide.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank Diane S
Reviewed July 21, 2016

This was not the trip we signed up for.We booked this trip in Jan.at the ISE in Sacramento. The Brochure says " We know where to get the really Big Fish". Problem is they wouldn't take you there. Two hour boat ride out to where the Kings were being caught. We were told our boat wouldn't make it out that far and be able to get back. Fuel issue we were told. So, let's talk about the boat. The brochure showed two boats available. The Amanda Rae and the Ann Marie. We didn't go out on either one. No reason given plus we were told try not to use the toilet. It had some problems and the odor was unbelievably disgusting. Not good and I'm just getting started.
Yes, We were told 1 week before our trip that our captain had slipped on the dock and wouldn't be able to take us out, but was assured we'd be in good hands with his replacement. Airplane tickets had been purchased months in advance and were non refundable. So we headed to Ketchikan with all the excitement one would have in booking a Chartered Fishing Trip in Alaska. So, as we're heading out for the first day of our 4 day fishing trip, we come to find out that the replacement captain is from Miami, Fl. and doesn't know the waters where we're fishing. His deck hand is a 17 year old boy who responded to an ad looking for a job. Even though the deck hand was so polite and like able, he had little experience and the captain was continually yelling at him most of the 4 days. We spent so much time lines out of the water rather than in. Resetting the anchor over and over while looking for halibut. DID I mention the replacement Captain didn't know where to fish. We weren't finding Kings. We weren't finding Halibut. The equipment we were using. At least 3 of the rods were over 50 years old. One of the rod tips was broken off. Who does this to there clients??? We had 2 occasions where, with fish on, the line broke at the leader. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Four good friends fishing in Alaska and brought home little to nothing. We did see many other charters unloading there limits of Kings and Halibut at the end of each day.
Disaster of a Trip...
STAY CLEAR.... STAY CLEAR...... STAY CLEAR.

Date of experience: June 2016
2  Thank jr2436
lissa2015, Owner at Ketchikan Big Fish Charters, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2016

Hello,
I wanted to respond to your review, I am very surprised to to read this after talking with the other guys in your group who were very nice to us it appeared to us that our replacement Captain was trying very hard to find you fish. You even stated in your review that he kept resetting the anchor over and over trying his best.
I am sorry to hear about your airline tickets being non refundable but that is out of our control in the future you might want to purchase insurance or refundable tickets.. If you had you could had postponed your trip for a later date if indeed you wanted to fish with Rick. The boat that you were put on was our 28 ft. Trophy that is very fast and gets you to point A to point B much faster which is what most of our clients like when fishing for Halibut because those fishing grounds are usually in and around the outside waters.
Our gear is inspected and replaced throughout the season and every season if needed and is top of the line!
Rick's surgery went very well and is now finishing out his season. Thank you for your concerns and we will pass your comments on to our captain and deckhand.

KBF