“Really learned a lot about Alaskan culture”

Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours
Ranked #15 of 94 Tours in Ketchikan
Burlington, New Jersey
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Really learned a lot about Alaskan culture”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I found this tour recommended on cruise critic. I emailed Dave and he responded right away. He met us at our ship at 7:30 am to start our tour. He took us to Herring Cove where he spotted Eagles out to us all the way there. He is very knowledgeable about the area since I believe he has lived there for almost 30 years. It seemed like he knew everyone in town. He took us to the totem pole area ( Blight state park I believe). He even knew the carver of the totem pole being demonstrated. He was a great friendly guy with tons of information about plants and fish. The tour we took was a little over 3 hours. My group was 4 people and it was my husband, my son (13) and my mother. We all enjoyed it and Dave is prompt, reliable, and full of information. I think this is a great alternative to the cruise tours.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank tabasco3

Toms River, New Jersey
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Superb Native Cultural Experience with Eagles Thrown In”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Found Dave and Kat on the net. Wife and I e-mailed with our interests and schedule. Dave promptly responded with suggested itinerary, picked us up earlier than scheduled, knowing 1st time Alaska tourists would be anxiously waiting outside the hotel early. He fished on a Tlingit Indian boat for 27 years, so he knows the area and cultural history very, very well. Our tour, which was customized to fit our interests, started with a quick stop where he showed us different types of local fishing boats and continued on to eagles at Herring Cove. We saw lots of them (July 3, 2010), as well as a nearby salmon hatchery. Next stop was an eagles' nest right by the road, where we saw a bit of activity, but the weather and visibility were pretty bad. Then we drove on back "streets", which were actually wood supported by pilings. Then it was on to Saxman Village, which was very cool. Lots of poles, including the famous Lincoln and Seward ones, as well a clan house. These poles were collected, restored, and placed here in a National Forest Service Depression-era project in the 1930's. There's a carving house there and Dave took us in to meet the master carver whose photo was actually in one of our guidebooks! Next stop was Potlach Park, with lots more poles and houses. From there, we walked to Totem Bight, which has a collection of older poles as well. If you're pressed for time, we'd suggest skipping Potlach. During our 3 1/2 hour trip, Dave also stopped to show us how rather large trees are able to flourish in 2 inches of topsoil. Charge was $72 per hour, so if you can load up a van, you'll keep your cost down. For even just my wife and me, we felt we got more than our money's worth. If you decide to go, we strongly recommend reading "The Wolf and the Raven, Totem Poles of Southeastern Alaska". It was written by 2 of the original Forest Ranger project folks. You won't be able to interpret complicated poles yourself (even the meaning of the very simple Seward Pole is not certain), but looking at them will be much more enjoyable than if you did not have a rudimentary knowledge of the symbolism, especially of that rascally Raven. Southeast Alaska is one of the few areas in the entire world where totem carving was and is practiced, and really should not be missed, and Dave was an excellent guide.

6 Thank Ternstyle1952
Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Taxi tour of Ketchikan”
Reviewed August 6, 2010

During our cruise stop to Ketchikan a group of 4 arranged a 2 hour tour with Kat and Dave of Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours (907-254-7286 and www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com) to see the area. Kat met us in town and showed us all the major out of town sites during our time. She was friendly, flexible with interest is seeing wildlife, and very informative. A great way to see the area for a good price compared with the cost of a cruise tour.

7 Thank Nittens