“Snorkeling in Ketchikan, AK”
Review of Snorkel Alaska

Snorkel Alaska
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkel Alaska operates the Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure in Ketchikan, Alaska. The tour is an all inclusive Shore Excursion offered by all major cruise lines visiting Alaska. Everything need to snorkel safely and comfortably is provided from state of the equipment, transportation and PADI Professional Divemasters and SCUBA Instructors in the water with you. Opened in 2001 by a former Norwegian Cruise Line Dive In Instructor, rest assured you will be provided the highest level of customer service. Why sit on a bus when you can jump in the water in Alaska!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I took a cruise up to Alaska and the idea of snorkeling was so funny we had to do it. We've snorkeled before in tropical climates and we were both apprehensive about the water temperature. The Snorkel Alaska staff was perfect! They were organized, addressed all the usual concerns and made everyone, even the novices, feel confident. Yes, it is surprisingly warm inside the wet suit. It's a bit of a shock at first, like getting into an outdoor pool. Initially it's cold but it warms up fast. They staff provides you with boots, gloves and they even have prescription goggles if you want to remove your glasses. Afterwards there is a hot shower and hot chocolate to warm everyone up. They do provide a safe place for your stuff so bring your camera and whatever else you want.
The snorkeling itself, while interesting, isn't the same as snorkeling in warm waters with tons of pretty fish. The water is a bit murky but it is still amazing and fun to compare the difference between warm and cold water environments. We did see some fish and a large red jellyfish. The guides will pick up sea stars and other creatures that are safe to handle and let you hold them.
I would highly recommend this as something unique to do in Alaska. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I did not bring my camera.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"step by step"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Our tour was on choppier than normal conditions (according to the guides), yet we still had a blast (myself and daughters ages 16 and 14... both strong swimmers). Water was murky, but we still saw a lot of star fish, jelly fish, kelp, and a few other creatures that guides brought up to display (then put back). The warm showers and hot chocolate afterwards were awesome! The wet suits are a bit cumbersome (as others have noted)... BUT they keep you comfy, and I seriously doubt there is a better alternative (would rather deal with 90% mobility and be comfy, than to freeze). Great tour, would do again, and would recommend.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Went snorkeling with these people while on a cruise. It was a wonderful experience. Top notch people, top notch equipment and a 7mm wet suit to keep you very warm and toasty. I had a problem with my snorkel, and one of the guides, (Cassie) quickly retrieved another one for me. I fell behind the group and she very willingly stayed with me while I was looking at all of the sea life. Hundreds of creatures in a very small body of water. Beautiful Kelp, wonderfully brilliant starfish, lots of jellies...no, they won't sting you....and rockfish....Later on that day, I showed the cove where we went snorkeling.......and a small humpback was splashing in the water....WOW.....How great that would have been to splash with a whale......Thanks, guys for helping me out and making a great experience for me....

2  Thank laughinghusky
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

This was a great activity. They have great staff, great equipment, and a great snorkeling area. They even had a variety of prescription masks for people that wear glasses so I could see all the great marine life. The have 7 mm wet suits and I was warm the whole time. I highly recommend Snorkeling Alaska.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We cruised last week on Celebrity, and my first shore excursion was Snorkel Alaska in Ketchikan. What a thrill. I have always wanted to do cold water snorkeling. The first thing to know is - it is guaranteed YOU WILL NOT BE COLD due to the thick, full body wetsuits, gloves, booties and hood. I live in Charlotte, NC and I was not cold. Second, the guides are incredibly professional. They train you on how to put on all the gear, so it's easy to do. Everything went smoothly and it was safe. We snorkeled and saw all kinds of things. The water was very clear. As it turns out, you can see better on a cloudy or rainy day, than in the sun. This is good, since it rains nearly all the time there. So if you have to be wet, be wet on purpose. Finally, this was one of the most affordable of ALL the excursions, and I highly recommend it - it really gives you bragging rights.

Now, I will say the write up was correct. This is a strenuous activity. It's not like snorkeling in the Caribbean. There can be currents and some choppy water. The excitement of the moment had me breathing pretty hard, and I'm a very, very accomplished swimmer. I had hoped to use a weight belt to help me free dive (if you don't use it, your wetsuit makes you float like a cork.) However, I had to take it off because I was struggling to stay balanced in the water. So, unless you are into scuba, I recommend not to use these the first time. Also, really check your mask. Mine ieaked (most people had no problem) and I should have exchanged it right away for one that fitted correctly. But I was too eager to get out in the water.

At any rate, I will do this again the minute I have a chance. I can't say enough about the guides, their helpfulness, expertise, and assistance, as well as their knowledge of all the critters beneath the waves.

2  Thank nancy i