“Great excursion in Ketchikan”
Review of Snorkel Alaska

Snorkel Alaska
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkel Alaska operates the Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure in Ketchikan, Alaska. The tour is an all inclusive Shore Excursion offered by all major cruise lines visiting Alaska. Everything need to snorkel safely and comfortably is provided from state of the equipment, transportation and PADI Professional Divemasters and SCUBA Instructors in the water with you. Opened in 2001 by a former Norwegian Cruise Line Dive In Instructor, rest assured you will be provided the highest level of customer service. Why sit on a bus when you can jump in the water in Alaska!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I had been to Ketichan twice before and could not imagine how I was going to spend a third visit there. The city as a whole is just way too touristy, way too commercialized. My wife found Snorkel Alaska as a possible excursion. We were curious but thought it'd be fun. We're glad we did, it was an excellent time. The gear was good, we stayed warm the whole time. There were not a lot of vertebrates to see in the water, but lots of colorful invertebrates to see underwater. Not to mention the bald eagle hanging out near the dive site. The guides were great, shout out to Rick, Austin, Marcus and Maria. Thanks for the great time, my wife and I will be sporting your apparel to spread the word.

2  Thank bossdiver
"step by step"
"clams"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had a great time with Snorkel Alaska in Ketchikan on August 12th, 2013. Celebrated my birthday with a friend and was provided with a great experience by guides, Christine and Cassie. The whole entire crew at Snorkel Alaska does a fantastic job and takes great care of everyone on the tour. It's informative, educational, so enjoyable, and refreshing to be in the water in Alaska.
Saw some amazing sea stars, urchins, and more. The water was warm, calm, and clear enough to see so many things.
Thank you so much!!! Great tour!!!

1  Thank David S
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We chose this snorkeling excursion based on the excellent reviews and were not disappointed. Our guides Marcus, Kurt, Maria and Austen were friendly and professional, explaining everything about snorkeling and putting on the wet suits (an adventure in itself) and the animals we saw during the experience. Although the experience is guided, you can feel free to float around the vicinity without following the guides all the time. It was drizzling and cloudy the day we went but this was actually good for snorkelling, apparently the day before was sunny and visibility was not so good because the algae was blooming. We saw lots of starfish, some friendly jellyfish, bull kelp and plenty of little fish. The guides will dive and bring up creatures for you to look at as well. The wet suits keep you cozy and buoyant in the chilly waters, and they have hot showers and hot chocolate waiting for you back at the shop afterward. For less experienced swimmers, they have floats you can use, and weights for if you want to dive. Highly recommended for all ages and well worth the price.

1  Thank mintcookie
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Fred, Tad, Christine and Michelle took our group of 20 out into the waters of Ketchikan in late July 2013.

From the get-go travelers will feel at ease as Fred introduces the basics of getting set up in your wetsuit and snorkel gear. Tad, Christine and Michelle are also PADI certified and have thousands of hours of underwater experience.

Be honest with these folks about your size and weight so that they can provide you with the best fitting wetsuit possible. It will make for an extremely enjoyable experience.

If you have a fear if water, do not worry! A wetsuit keeps you completely buoyant - it is impossible to sink!

I had never used a wetsuit prior to Snorkel Alaska and I opted not to try a weight belt (I thought I was erring on the side of caution). Don't do what I did; get a weight belt!

The variety of undersea flora and fauna will surprise you. This water is teeming with life: urchins, sea cucumbers, sea stars, herring, crabs, sponges, worms and more. Your eyes will not be able to take it all in.

Based on the outstanding experience we had at Snorkel Alaska my wife and I have decided to do our PADI certification. We've grown up on the West Coast but have never been more motivated to explore the water via SCUBA than after our snorkel trip with Fred's team.

2  Thank JustinB3adle
Fred D, Owner at Snorkel Alaska, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you so much! This is my favorite review ever!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I did this for the first time 10 years ago and I really don’t want to wait another 10. We have a time share on Grand Cayman. There I just walk out the front door and lay in the water. This requires wet suits and a bus ride from the ship. Given the choice between the two, I’d pick this one. You take a bus from the ship (Other than the train at Skagway, that’s standard for an Alaska cruise). They take you to their shop where you put on the wet suit. Take a bathing suit. It’s a little tricky putting it on but that part of the fun. Then you get on the bus for short ride and walk down a path to the edge of the water where you put on the mask and fins. By then, you hot and the water will feel good. It’s little chilly until the water heats up inside your suit, about five minutes. A guide swims with you and they show you the wild life. It’s an underwater rain forest. I loved it. Last trip, I was with my son, 30ish at the time. We stayed in the water until the told us if we stayed any longer, we’d have to walk back to the ship. A short bus ride back to the shop to take off the wet suite. The outside hot shower felt good. Can’t wait to do it again.

1  Thank William P