“I snorkeled in the Pacific!”
Review of Snorkel Alaska

Snorkel Alaska
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkel Alaska operates the Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure in Ketchikan, Alaska. The tour is an all inclusive Shore Excursion offered by all major cruise lines visiting Alaska. Everything need to snorkel safely and comfortably is provided from state of the equipment, transportation and PADI Professional Divemasters and SCUBA Instructors in the water with you. Opened in 2001 by a former Norwegian Cruise Line Dive In Instructor, rest assured you will be provided the highest level of customer service. Why sit on a bus when you can jump in the water in Alaska!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 23, 2013

During a recent cruise, we chose to participate in the excursion to snorkel. To be honest, I was not looking forward to this, but after the experience, I can say I really enjoyed it and swam in the Pacific Ocean. They picked us up from the pier and drove us to their shop where we learned how to put on a wet suit (if I never put on another wet suit, it will be too soon). The weather was hot that day so this part was even harder. They have a dry bag for all of your personal items and then bus you down to a little beach entrance. There were 3 guides for 15 of us so you were able to ask lots of questions. They showed us star fish, sunflower fish, sea cucumbers, and urchin. I saw all of these along with jelly fish (most do not sting) and other fish and kelp. The water temperature was not that bad due to the hot weather, but I was still glad I was wearing a wet suit. The guide Christine was particularly helpful throughout the adventure. After snorkeling we went back, showered and went back to the ship. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience!

2  Thank valeriek726
in 4 reviews
"head to toe"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friend and I participated in this during one of our cruise excursions. It was worth every penny and will leave us with plenty to talk about with our friends and family. As novice snorkelers, we never felt that we didn't know what we were doing. Guides Ted, Michelle, and Austen were helpful and happy through every step of the way and exceptionally informative.

Worth every penny. Do not hesitate for a second!

1  Thank joelp203
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My 13 year old daughter and I had a great experience with Snorkel Alaska! There was a short bus ride, during which the guide, Christine, did a great job of explaining how we were going to proceed with equipment, wet suits and so on. When we got to the shop, it was obvious that getting into the 7.5 mm wet suits was going to be the most strenuous part of the adventure! Christine was efficient and helpful. Another short bus ride took us to the snorkeling site, where we did an easy shore entry with lots of help from Christine and two others (Tad and Eric). Out in the water, the visibility was clear and there were lots of beautiful fish, crabs and sea stars (not to mention bald eagles up in the trees).

One other thing I should mention - there were 13 of us, including several people who had never snorkeled before. Imagine starting off with a thick wetsuit, rainy weather, colder water and so on! But a huge credit to the operation is that everyone was comfortable and happy with their experience. So no matter what your level of experience is, don't hesitate to snorkel with Snorkel Alaska! They're really great.

1  Thank First_State_Family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My 12 yr old daughter and her father did this excursion on a recent Alaskan cruise. After some difficulty getting the wetsuits on, they embarked down the shore for their kayaking adventure. The equipment was good and the wildlife was abundant (sea stars, jellies, cucumbers, urchins and fish). It was the right amount of time for the outing.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

When my snorkeling/diving teenage daughter wanted so desperately to go on this adventure, I was a little skeptical, and not too 'thrilled' about the prospect of getting into icy cold Alaskan water. My fears quickly subsided on the short bus ride to the snorkel shop, when our SUPER SWEET guide and snorkeling teacher gave us some important information, albeit in a humorous and adventurous manner. The owner of Snorkel Alaska actually led our excursion, a small point but very important in my mind.

The toughest part of this excursion was putting on the 7mm wetsuit! It took us forever as we laughed and helped each other 'squeeze' into the super thick suits! It was worth it ... when we got into the water we were toasty warm and enjoyed looking at the local sea life in the bay - urchins, sea cucumbers, jellyfish (not to worry, they can't sting through the wetsuit) and tons of StarFish in all different colors and sizes. For the advanced free-diver, they allowed time at the end to put on those weight belts and dive in deeper water. I love how they cater to every level and physicality of each participant.

When we finished there were coolers of hot water to pour over us to warm us up (my hands got a little chilly). Given the day we went out was warm and sunny for Alaska standards, the warm water still felt great and washed away the salty water. Hot chocolate was waiting for us when we returned back to the shop - nice touch!

All in All this was a 'highlight' on our Alaska Adventure. Who would have thought we would be snorkeling in Alaska? We bought the tshirt because we didn't think anyone would believe us :)

A side NOTE: one of the nicest things about this excursion is that it is still 'homegrown' and a small operation. I love this because there is a limit to the number of people, the owner takes an active role in the tour and it feels like 'real Alaska' - as opposed to some of the HUGE tours you get on cruise ships. LOVED Snorkel Alaska!

2  Thank yogigoddess