“Great Food”

Alaskan Surf Halibut & Chips
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Alaskan Surf fans, bad news good news. Bad news we will not be on the cruise ship dock this year. We finally out grew it. Good news is the number #1 destination food choice is relocating to the inside of Bar Harbor Restaurant. there we will have an extended menu adding such things as crab,fish tacos and grilled fish. We will also be serving beer and wine. easily reach by walking,at Berth 4 by the cruise ships. looking forward to seeing my friends this year.
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We were in Ketchikan on May 31 and had heard Alaskan Surf was the place to get great food. It lived up to the hype, with fantastic halibut fish and chips, and excellent chowder. Granted, we had a nice sunny day to sit outside and enjoy our lunch. The atmosphere may suffer a little if you are sitting there trying to eat in a steady rain. Check it out if you are in Ketchikan.

2  Thank locb4

Reviewed May 31, 2011

I was craving fish and chips and stopped on way back to cruise ship and asked some locals where to get the best. They told me Alaskan Surf is where they eat. I ordered halibut and chips. It was a generous portion and they where the best I ever had. Can not wait to go back for more. Do not expect a big restaurant it is a stand on the cruise ship dock. Do not let the size fool you. Overall expierence was excellent.

8  Thank Bklsll02
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We were there May 12th, 2011. There are two fish and chips booths right beside eachother. I am glad that I chose this one. The Halibut and chips were great, fresh cut fries and the halibut cooked to perfection. My wife had the cocunut shrimp. By far the best cocunut shrimp we have had in almost 10 years. The food is not expensive and I would recomend this place to everybody.

7  Thank Jarrad_D
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We were on the first cruise of the season to Alaska and Ketchikan was our last port stop. After walking around the town all day we decided to have a late lunch. I normally try to go to where the locals go and Alaskan Surf was recommended by locals.
It is not a restaurant but a food stand right outside the cruise ship docks (between dock 1 and 2 to be exact) steps away from the visitor's center. You go up to the window, order your meal, and when it's done they call your number. There are picnic benches for you to sit and eat. Let me first state that I'm not big on fried food at all. However I decided to try the halibut minus the chips and got the coleslaw instead. It was wonderful. The halibut tasted fresh. It had a light bear batter and was not in the least bit greasy at all. The coleslaw tasted homemade and was flavored just right. Everything is cooked to order so we had to wait about 10 minutes for our meals but it was worth it. I wish I had room for the clam chowder but the meal was filling enough.
The menu also had shrimp, halibut sandwiches and of course the clam chowder which everyone said was thick, creamy and tasty. I wish I would have taken a picture of the complete menu but I was too busy devouring my meal. I can say that their menu was not long and "all over the place" with all sorts of different meals that are mediocre. My immediate thought was they keep their menu small but everything is done to perfection!
Overall a wonderful meal and a great stop for something quick and tasty.

5  Thank WorldWanderer99
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Loved eating here, even in the rain! This is right "On The Dock" downtown. My husband and I shared a clam chowder and the battered halibut and fries...we were like kids fighting over the last bites! Save your appetite so you can eat here if your cruise ship or ferry stops in Ketchikan! You won't be disappointed! Can't wait to return...I will get my own this time! Planning to return in 2011...2012...2013...

2  Thank Hittin50