“Very Highly Recommended”

True Alaskan Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaska fishing at it's finest in Ketchikan Alaska. Alaskan Halibut Fishing and Alaskan Salmon Fishing. It all here the only thing missing is you. Complete packages including waterfront rooms, gourmet meals, and all your fish processing. Specializing in exclusive halibut, salmon, and wildlife trips for cruise ship guests. All of our captains are experienced, licensed, insured. With four generations on these waters we are sure to provide you a True Alaskan experience. Come experience True Alaskan Charters.
Knoxville, TN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Very Highly Recommended”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My three sons and I had a great time fishing with True Alaskan Charters. We purchased the 5-6 hour "Combo Charter for Salmon & Halibut"

We were on the cruise ship Princess Star. The True Alaskan Charter folks met us at the cruise ship port and we walked a few feet to where the charter fishing boat was docked. You have to purchase a license for each person before you leave the dock. It took 15-20 minutes to complete all the paperwork. A previous reviewer complained about this, but the guys worked as fast as they could and it is about the same as other fishing trips we have been on.

You begin the excursion from a port and this is a no wake zone. We were fishing within 20 minutes or so after leaving the port. Our captain lives year round in Ketchikan. He had all his favorite spots marked via GPS.

We caught lots of fish. We caught our limit of halibut. We shipped home 38 pounds of cleaned filets. The folks at Cedars Lodge cleaned, packed and shipped the fish to us.

A previous post complained about the snacks. They have a little cooler with water & soft drinks along with small packages of chips & crackers. This was all we needed.

The boat is a good size for four. We had plenty of room. The captain also serves as mate. This arrangement worked great for our group. I am sure you could request (and pay for) a mate if you want....

We paid $197 per person including tax (excluding the licenses). We found it to be a good value!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank mindytom

hudson,fl
“VERY DISAPOINTED”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Was super excited to go salmon fishing and ended up disappointed. The captain took us to the right spots but he didn't seem capable of driving the boat, netting the fish and then re baiting. Several times we drove the boat because the captain was distracted trying to bait. Seems we needed another hand for our party of 5 (4 fishing). 3 fish the captain missed trying to bring in the boat. He was a nice guy... but couldn't handle everything required to manage a charter. Also- there was no ice in the cooler for our drinks and he seemed ill prepared. For that cost would definitely would try another charter company. I think the charter people overbooked , and put with other part-time replacement . Talked with other people coming off other charters boats. There were better fishing grounds near cruise ship docks, there were taken.

Visited May 2012
Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not Recommended”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We booked with True Alaskan Charters for a Ketchikan fishing excursion in July 2011, based on the many favorable reviews written in 2010. We made our arrangements by phone, and placed a deposit by credit card. On the morning of our arrival in port, someone from True Alaskan Charters met our group at our cruise ship when we docked, as planned. However, he explained that our group would go with Bella Misty Fishing Charters because the True Alaskan Charter boat was not working.

While I commend True Alaskan Charters for connecting our group to Bella Misty Fishing Charters, I would not recommend True Alaskan Charters for the following reason.

True Alaskan Charters charged my credit card the correct amount for our fishing excursion, approximately $150 per person for three persons ($450). They billed my credit card for a deposit for the trip and then for the remaining balance. All fine.

However, True Alaskan Charters later billed an additional $238 to my credit card. I sent them emails through their website and made several phone calls to inquire about the additional charge. True Alaskan Charters never responded to my emails and never returned my phone calls!! If it was an oversight or a mistake, I am thoroughly disappointed that they did not demonstrate any professionalism or, for that matter, courtesy, when they failed to return my messages.

Fortunately, my credit card company handled the disputed billing.

Alaskan fishing charters are an expensive, unique experience that will long be remembered. Be careful in choosing your charter and use a credit card for your protection.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank S B
Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We were on a cruise and we booked a charter for 4 of us while we were in port in Ketechan with True Alaskan Charters We were met at the dock by Capt. Bruce and taken to the boat that would take us out. Our opinion of our captain was that he was there just to put his time in and go home. There were no snacks of any kind on the boat as advertised in their ad ( not that we expected any thing grand) but nothing. It took him a half hour to fill out the fishing licenses, another 25 minutes to get out to where we would fish( said he couldn't go fast as it caused a wake.....as other boats went flying past. He put down the lines and we drifted around and he changed lures once in that time. I know there's no quarantee that you willl catch fish and we caught nothing, but we just expected more for $600. About 20 minutes before our 4 hours were up,he pulled in all the lines, said we were all done and we were back to the dock in 15 minutes that took us 25 to go out. I've read all the other reviews about how the other captains took that extra minute to show their clients some of the sights that make Alaska unique, maybe Capt. Bruce should be a little pickier on the people he employes. I also called Cassia about our charter, she returned my call the first time, but never returned my call when I called her back or the e-mail I sent her, another disappointment. I guess you live and learn. I would't recommend this charter as I wouldn't want anyone else to be as disappointed as we were, not the fact we didn't get any fish but by the service.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank philbarbm
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wasn't worth the money - disappointing overall”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This was a disappointing experience overall and didn't have to be. First of all, we were supposed to have (and was supposed to be included) a captain and a second person to help. When we got there the Captain (I think his name was Jarod or Josh) told us that the other person called in sick so it would just be him. We didn't realize the impact that would have. This kind of a trip was too much work and frankly, overwhelming for one person to help 5 of us. Also, not a huge deal, but the trip was to include snacks and refreshments. The cooler for soda and water had no ice, just water from the previous people and the snacks weren't set out they were all shoved under the bench seat in the cabin. Not that we expected anything fancy, but we did expect them to be prepared for the money we spent. The captain had to give us instruction, bate the hooks, help us when we caught anything, net the fish and drive the boat. We ended up trying to help in any way we could, but of course - had they been prepared and had a deckhand, things would've worked better for everyone. Due to this, he completely missed netting 2 very large salmon for us. He just couldn't get to the net quick enough having to reel in the other nearby lines while we were holding the fish on a line right next to the boat. Overall, this was a disappointing experience that certainly didn't need to be. I would never recommend them to anyone and in fact would tell people to steer clear and use another company. I'm surprised that even short notice they couldn't find someone to help him out. This excursion cost us almost $700 (without processing the three fish we actually did catch) - I personally, would certainly expect them to be fully prepared.

Visited July 2011