“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of True Alaskan Charters

True Alaskan Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaska fishing at it's finest in Ketchikan Alaska. Alaskan Halibut Fishing and Alaskan Salmon Fishing. It all here the only thing missing is you. Complete packages including waterfront rooms, gourmet meals, and all your fish processing. Specializing in exclusive halibut, salmon, and wildlife trips for cruise ship guests. All of our captains are experienced, licensed, insured. With four generations on these waters we are sure to provide you a True Alaskan experience. Come experience True Alaskan Charters.
Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

We were on a cruise and we booked a charter for 4 of us while we were in port in Ketechan with True Alaskan Charters We were met at the dock by Capt. Bruce and taken to the boat that would take us out. Our opinion of our captain was that he was there just to put his time in and go home. There were no snacks of any kind on the boat as advertised in their ad ( not that we expected any thing grand) but nothing. It took him a half hour to fill out the fishing licenses, another 25 minutes to get out to where we would fish( said he couldn't go fast as it caused a wake.....as other boats went flying past. He put down the lines and we drifted around and he changed lures once in that time. I know there's no quarantee that you willl catch fish and we caught nothing, but we just expected more for $600. About 20 minutes before our 4 hours were up,he pulled in all the lines, said we were all done and we were back to the dock in 15 minutes that took us 25 to go out. I've read all the other reviews about how the other captains took that extra minute to show their clients some of the sights that make Alaska unique, maybe Capt. Bruce should be a little pickier on the people he employes. I also called Cassia about our charter, she returned my call the first time, but never returned my call when I called her back or the e-mail I sent her, another disappointment. I guess you live and learn. I would't recommend this charter as I wouldn't want anyone else to be as disappointed as we were, not the fact we didn't get any fish but by the service.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank philbarbm

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wasn't worth the money - disappointing overall”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

This was a disappointing experience overall and didn't have to be. First of all, we were supposed to have (and was supposed to be included) a captain and a second person to help. When we got there the Captain (I think his name was Jarod or Josh) told us that the other person called in sick so it would just be him. We didn't realize the impact that would have. This kind of a trip was too much work and frankly, overwhelming for one person to help 5 of us. Also, not a huge deal, but the trip was to include snacks and refreshments. The cooler for soda and water had no ice, just water from the previous people and the snacks weren't set out they were all shoved under the bench seat in the cabin. Not that we expected anything fancy, but we did expect them to be prepared for the money we spent. The captain had to give us instruction, bate the hooks, help us when we caught anything, net the fish and drive the boat. We ended up trying to help in any way we could, but of course - had they been prepared and had a deckhand, things would've worked better for everyone. Due to this, he completely missed netting 2 very large salmon for us. He just couldn't get to the net quick enough having to reel in the other nearby lines while we were holding the fish on a line right next to the boat. Overall, this was a disappointing experience that certainly didn't need to be. I would never recommend them to anyone and in fact would tell people to steer clear and use another company. I'm surprised that even short notice they couldn't find someone to help him out. This excursion cost us almost $700 (without processing the three fish we actually did catch) - I personally, would certainly expect them to be fully prepared.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank TedLla
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Poor Captain skills”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

Was super excited to go salmon fishing and ended up disappointed. The captain took us to the right spots but he didn't seem capable of driving the boat, netting the fish and then re baiting. Several times we drove the boat because the captain was distracted trying to bait. Seems we needed another hand for our party of 5 (4 fishing). 3 fish the captain missed trying to bring in the boat. He was a nice guy... but couldn't handle everything required to manage a charter. Also- there was no ice in the cooler for our drinks and he seemed ill prepared. For that cost would definitely would try another charter company.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank AmyMN44
Mass
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautiful, easy and no seasickness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

Did this trip with Grandma, 3 adults, and two girls 10 and 12. It was very beautiful. Captain Bruce was just a great guy and great about talking about the area.
We all caught fish! We were on a cruise so we chose not to keep ours. The Captain said he would donate it to a local mens shelter for us which we thought was so great.
I was worried about getting seasick but its more like fishing on a lake and you are not so far out that he couldn't bring you back in so go for it.

Visited August 2010
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“True Alaskan Charters, Cross-posted from Ketchikan board”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

Just returned from a southbound cruise through the Inside Passage and wanted to pass along a good experience we had in Ketchikan.

We are a family of five (2 adults and 3 kids, ages 10, 12 and 15) and hired a boat through True Alaskan Charters (http://www.truealaskancharters.com/).

A great, locally owned and operated operation that takes care of both its customers and its captains, from the sounds of things. Can't say enough good things about them.

The young man who took us out, Sean, was born-and-raised there and is a commercial fisherman. Spotless boat. Knew right where to take us and each of my boys got to land a 7- or 8-pound silver within an hour. (We let them go again.) Marvelous outing. Not a drop of rain (highly unusual, I am told). Sean was in the next boat over when this video was shot:

And the best bit was, because we had the boat to ourselves, Sean took us to a nearby harbor seal rookery on the way back to town. Very up close and personal. We actually felt guilty disturbing their siestas on that rare sunny(ish) day. Yet another reason to go independent if you are passing through the town on a cruise -- the freedom to deviate from the schedule.