“Excellent Excursion - Misty Fjords”
Review of Family Air Tours

Family Air Tours
Flourtown, PA
“Excellent Excursion - Misty Fjords”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were met on time at the appointed spot by the cheerful Gretchen who drove us to Family Air's dock. From there Dave took over and we had a great FAMILY ( 4 of us) flight to the Misty Fjords. He was an excellent pilot who gave us lots of info and answer all our questions. He even deviated slightly to make sure we saw a herd of mountain goats. Then we landed on a lake in the Fjords and Dave tried to show off his fishing prowess ( unfortunately, no fish were biting but the black flies were). Then smooth flying back to the dock. From there Gretchen gave us an impromptu tour of Ketchikan and a great lunch recommendation. Overall, a great experience and a one we highly recommend.

Seneca, South Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great trip to Anan Creek with Family Air”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I contacted Family Air by email in November 2012 about flying to Anan Creek to see bears in July 2013. At that time they did not have any permits for the July date we would be in port, however there was the possibility of getting more permits in February. Family Air booked us for the date we needed contingent on permits. They even rearranged our pickup time to correspond to the time our ship was in port. Family Air contacted us in February that they had permits for us and in July we hopped in the plane with Dave to Anan Creek to see bears. I had taken Bonine just to be sure I would not get sick in a small plane, but the flight was extremely smooth and so beautiful and interesting!! Dave narrated our trip and was very personable. Gave us a walkie-talkie to tell him when we were coming back to the plane.
Anan Creek was great - however only saw black bears. Some said brown bears tend to come in the morning hours. Was fascinating to see the bears get salmon out of the creek and slit them open to eat. I was nervous about walking the trail on our own so had purchased a "bear bell" in Anchorage and hooked that on my jacket. Trail was like walking through a rain forest. We stopped on the trail to take a picture and a black bear walked behind us, with absolutely
no interest in us. The trail was not as scary as I anticipated.

My husband and I would highly recommend Family Air and Anan Creek bear watching.

Hartford, CT
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Anan Creek with Family Air”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excursion of a lifetime. We flew with Dave to Anan Creek this past week. AMAZING!!!! A+ all the way. The pre-trip communication with Dave was excellent. We booked the trip independently and Dave answered all of our questions via email/phone. Our desired tour included a trip to Anan Creek for bear viewing which required permits. Dave talked us through the process and was able to procure tickets for us via lottery when we couldn't get them directly. TIP: if you are interested in seeing bears, book EARLY as the permits go quickly. Our group included three generations ranging from 7-74. The trip into the creek proved to be too taxing physically for the 74 y old who ended up foregoing the bear viewing and staying with Dave on his plane. He brought her to a scenic spot where she was able to view a multitude of eagles and seals which salvaged the trip for her.

At my request, Dave was able to secure a guide to take us into the creek. The bear viewing was INCREDIBLE! We saw a multitude of eagles and at least 20 bears fishing in the creek. The observatory sits right on the creek. The bears fish for salmon. You see them fishing, eating and roaming. There are bears everywhere, within feet of you. There is a ranger at the observatory and one at the landing. The path you take to get to the observatory is bear path and we encountered 2 cubs and a mama bear on the path. I would not have felt safe or comfortable with the children without the guide. The guide was armed and, more imporantly, experienced with bears. He was easily able to keep us away from danger and the bears undisturbed. The sightings were beyond my expectations. There were bears everywhere you looked. We were lucky enough to see brown and black bears. There are also tons of eagles feeding. The path requires about 15 minutes of walking at a decent pace and includes a fair amount of stairs. It is not a difficult walk but requires the ability to handle stairs and to keep pace.

The flight itself was a fun adventure. Dave is a skilled pilot and we didn't have any problems with motion sickness. He was great with the kids and taught us a lot about what we were viewing. He made sure to point out mountain goats and waterfalls etc. The views were spectacular.

We extended the tour to include the Misty Fjords. Dave was clearly invested in making sure we all got what we wanted out of the trip. He read the group well and made sure we all had a great time. Dave worked with me before the tour to customize the tour to our requests. I felt the charges were fair given the experiences that we had. Far preferable to a pre-fabricated tour.

Dave's team is great! We were picked up at the rain guage at the agreed upon time. After our tour, we were brought back to the ship dock. We requested to be dropped off near the stores and that request was easily accomodated.

Don't hesitate to book with Family Air. Our experience could not have been better. The Anan tour was by far the highlight our of trip. If you are thinking about Anan Creek, do it do it do it.

2 Thank traveleragain27
Indianapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience - July 16, 2013”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I, and another couple, had a great time with Family Air Tours and our pilot and tour guide, Dave. This was my favorite part of our week long cruise. Dave made the trip very enjoyable. They met us right in front of the ship and we were up and on our way to Misty Fjorde National Monument within 30 minutes. We got many great pictures from the Fjorde that we landed on. When finished, they dropped us off in town near the shopping. My wife liked that. Overall, a great experience!

1 Thank PearlRSM
Potomac Falls, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Service with a smile!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Hubby and I took the 2 1/2 hour Glacier Fjords tour on 7/21/13. This was our first stop on our cruise and to be honest, my most anticipated. Dave certainly exceeded my expectations. Unlike other cruise sponsored trips, we were treated to a more personalized experience which allowed us to communicate directly with our pilot. Not only is Dave knowledgeable, but he is also compassionate, not once laughing at any stupid questions I am sure we asked. My husband hates to fly so I was worried he would chicken out but Dave's expert piloting skills made our ride very smooth. Despite the smooth ride, I got a bit of self-inflicted motion sickness, most likely from making funny faces at the hubby. Dave was kind enough to wait a few extra minutes at a nearby beach to let me get my mojo back. The scenery was amazing and the trip was one I will never forget. I ditto what others have said and HIGHLY recommend Family Air!!!

1 Thank Gus4evr