“One of the very best places to stay in Ketchikan”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Landing Hotel

The Landing Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Metlakatla, Alaska
“One of the very best places to stay in Ketchikan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

They offer a good 'Alaska' rate in the off-season.. They have large, clean updated rooms.. They offer room service, which is nice. They allow kids at no extra charge which is huge in Ketchikan as the only other nicer hotel charges for kids.. They have the best restaurant for breakfast. Right across from the ferry terminal, five minutes from the ferry to the airport. And good for value, for the area. Hotels are ridiculous in southeast Alaska .

• Stayed April 2012
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our property on trip advisor. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us in Ketchikan. We hope all our guests feel like they are at home away from home when they are staying with us. We look forward to serving your lodging needs again the next time you travel to Ketchikan. Thank you again for taking the time to do a review. Linda Peters, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

This is an older building, but it has been well maintained and is clean and pleasant. It is very close to the airport ferry.

Some rooms in the hotel - in particular, those at the front of the building, close to the restaurants (room 250 and 252, for example) are very noisy because of traffic in the hallway and lobby area, for example, people going to and from the bar and the restaurant. So, choose your room very carefully, and ask for a "quiet room" when you check in.

The staff are very courteous and helpful. All in all, probably one of the better places to stay in this town.

Room Tip: Choose your room carefully, some rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review on our property at tripadvisor. We aplogize that the room wasn't to your full satisfaction. We at Best Western PLUS Landing Hotel want to do our best to satsify every customer and ensure they have a wonderful stay with us. We will take this review into account and will work on informing the guests who check into one of the 4 smoking rooms we have on the property about the noise level close to the restaurant. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and once again we apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused you during your stay. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our staff and they were courteous and helpful to you. We also want to thank you for rexcognizing us as one of the best places to stay in Ketchika, Alaska. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future when you are in Ketchikan.
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

I stay here often and will continue to do so. Rooms are clean and quiet and Jeremiah's has great food and spirits. Just far enough out of town to avoid the cruise ship insanity, but close enough to get there quickly if one chooses. My only suggestion would be that there be something similar to all the other BW's I stay at in Alaska and provide some sort of breakfast. This location has a nice cafe' on site, but it would be nice to perhaps be given a breakfast voucher or something similar for 1/2 off or a special menu. All in all, I highly recommend the Landing.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the newer section.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JohnnyMac66
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for the great comments. We are happy to hear that your stays with us have lived up to your expectations. I am glad that you mentioned the breakfast voucher. As of January 1st, 2012 all of the Best Western’s throughout the United States offer a Breakfast Rate at properties that have on-site restaurants. This will provide Best Western Guests with the opportunity to receive an all in one bill. We at the Best Western Plus Landing Hotel have been contemplating a breakfast coupon for our corporate and government guests which we may implement in the near future. Please call us at (907) 225- 5166 to inquire further. Thank you again for reviewing our property on tripadvisor.com. We hope to see you again soon.

Patricia Krantz
Hotel M.O.D.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

I have been staying at the Landing for many years. It is a very comfortable-feeling property with two on site restaurants and easy access to the Alaska Marine Highway ferries (just across the street). The hotel has been there for many years and is built in basically three sections. The original, older section has very narrow hallways, low ceilings and so-so rooms. The newer section in the back has larger rooms, some suites and is very quiet. The newest section has nicely appointed rooms that are large and comfortable. The nicest rooms, with king beds and fireplaces, are unfortunately facing the street with plenty of street noise, reducing their comfort.

Jeremiahs Pub serves great food and libations. The halibut fish and chips are particularly good, though pricey. Annabelle's serves a hearty, Alaska-sized breakfast and is open all day.

The Landing provides consistent, helpful service, comfortable clean rooms and is my choice whenever I stay in Ketchikan.

Room Tip: Book early and request a room in the newer section in the back OR the new north building. If you ca...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Lover_of_Oxford
akhotel, Hotel M.O.D. at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip advisor. We truly appreciate your recognition of our wonderful staff; they are a valuable asset to our company. We are so glad to hear that you found the North Court Building and the East Wing hotel rooms quite comfortable for you during your visit. We’re sorry to hear that the street noise made the stay in the King Suite uncomfortable for you. While the original Main Wing of our hotel does have narrow hallways and lower ceilings, the rooms are available with the same amenities and the same comfortable beds. With 107 rooms on property we believe that we have the perfect room for each and every guest. On your next visit to The BEST WESTERN PLUS Landing please feel free to specify the wing you prefer to stay in. We strive to make sure each and every guest has a satisfying experience. We would also like to thank you for the great comment on our Fish and Chips. Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Landing hotel and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ketchikan.

Patricia Krantz
Hotel - Manager on Duty
Tahiti, French Polynesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

After bringing a problem to her attention, Linda Peters a G.M., not only made me feel uncomfortable but really made the entire situation worse. I do NOT recemmend to stay or eat at this location. I am keeping this anonymous, because of fear that she might retaliate.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Celestino G
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
I have given much thought to my response to the gentleman who has accused me of being unprofessional. I have been in management for 30 some years and have never had anyone describe me in such a way. I believe the gentleman was upset that he had to wait for me to respond to his complaint because I was busy at the time assisting another guest in the hotel and told my staff that I would be with him as soon as I was finished with the other guest. Ido admit that I may have approached him with the incorrect verbage when I asked him "what is your problem". His response was "Don't you mean what is THE problem, I guess it is communication". After that he refused to discuss the problem with me and to this day I do not know what occurred in our restaurant to upset him. He also wanted the headquarters of our establishment which I proceeded to give him as well as the names of the owners and the address of our establishment. As to this date, the owners have not receive any correspondence from him. We really do want to make any situation better in any way we can and we do not retaliate back. The owners and I still wish that he would contact us with the information concerning the issue/s that caused this review. Without knowing there is no way that we can correct it. I asked all the staff on duty and the server that waited on him that morning and they also could not give me any information concerning his service and what he wished to discuss with me before he decided that he would not speak with me. So, if the gentleman reads this response to his review; I encourage him to send his complaints to the owners so we may correct the problem so it does not occurr again in the future with any other customers.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

This is a very nice hotel, maybe a little pricey. It was the end of the tourist season

• Stayed September 2011
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
We are happy to hear you had an awesome stay with us. We were disappointed to hear you felt we were a little too pricey for your accommodations. We do offer some discounted rates when it is close to the end of the season; so is often worthwill to contact management to see if that is possible. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. We hope to see you in Ketchikan again in the future.
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Ask for a room in the north (new) complex - much larger than those in the main hotel. Totally comfortable beds. Easy pleasant walk to downtown. Grocery & liquor store 1 block away. Great front desk staff - most accommodating. Food is average for a chain hotel. Manager/owner is a most gracious host. Would stay there again in a heart-beat!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rick i
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and would plan to stay with us again if in Ketchikan. Thank you for recognizing our front desk staff as accommodating. We feel very fortunate to have a great staff at our property. We sincerly hope we will see you back in Ketchikan soon.