“Horrible service with fish processing!! Beware!!!”
Review of The Cedars Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ketchikan
The Cedars Lodge
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Paradise Valley, Arizona, United States
“Horrible service with fish processing!! Beware!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was our first trip to Ketchikan, fishing was great, we really had a good time, however, when it came to fish processing at Cedars Lodge...
Well, let me say, I'd avoid it at all cost if I could, unfortunately, its THE ONLY place who does that kind of work at Keitchikan. So, naturally, no competition.
They charge absolutely ridiculous amount of money to filet and ship your fish. I was charged $835 for 4 boxes, and they even "lost" one box...
Not answering phones, not returning messages.
Horrible! Stay away if you can!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Paul A
ASEResorts, Owner at The Cedars Lodge, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
It is my understanding that many of these issues have been resolved over the phone since your post but I did want to respond here as well. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience with our company. We know that the highlight of many of our customers’ trips to Alaska is the fishing and to have that tarnished by not getting what you expect on the fish processing side is obviously frustrating. We believe that your situation is not the norm, and our company strives to find ways to make customers happy, even when everything doesn’t go exactly as planned. We believe the reason we do 95% of the business in town isn’t because we are the only game in town, but because over the years we have been fair and provided a quality service for a competitive price. When we started in this business we had other companies that competed with us.

Our phones are manned daily in the summertime from 5:30 AM until 9:00 PM and a message machine takes messages when no one is available or the office is closed. If you left a message and it was not promptly returned please accept my apologies.

We recognize that our services are expensive, particularly when it comes to overnighting your package from Alaska to your location. Overnight shipping costs alone can average around $4 per pound. If one of your boxes was indeed lost, the fact that we use FedEx allows us to file a claim in your behalf and provide you with a replacement. Again, one of our agents would be able to assist you with this.

Please accept our apologies that our communication with your regarding your order did not meet your expectations. Please contact our office directly if there is anything else we can do to assist you in resolving this matter to your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kaneohe
Reviewed July 22, 2013

3rd time I've stayed here & fished with a Cedars guide, each time has been GREAT! All staff members are extremely pleasant & helpful, the meals are super and the food is plentiful - bringing your own wine or other adult beverages for dinner, after a successful day of salmon or halibut fishing [that's why I go there], helps top off a fun day. Lodge is about a 15-min walk to downtown Ketchikan, cruise ship docks, and shops/restaurants if you get the urge to "dine out."

I had no problems with the Lodge's fish processing dept, or their shipping since I took 3.5 boxes of fillets [flash frozen, packed for all guests in styrofoam containers and banded boxes] on the flight home as my "luggage." Only challenge was Delta's policy [even for a frequent flyer] of charging $125 for the 3rd piece of "luggage" and $200 for the 4th 1/2 box! If you can fly Alaska Air for the same price, they have a flat fee of $30/box, I think - a better deal. Not sure about other airlines. Also, since the "Delta" ticket I was on was serviced by Alaska Air out of Ketchikan to Seattle, the Alaska Air counter personnel were GREAT - suggested, then helped me re-pack my 1/2 box of fillets into the other 2, so I "only" had to pay Delta $125.
Cedars Lodge guides are EXCELLENT; I have fished with Sean all 3 times and he is SUPER! From all reports, the other Cedars guides also do great work. I'll be back again!!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the water, if it's available - great way to watch the boats pull in a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We just returned from a great trip to Alaska where we went fishing in Ketchikan. We arranged for our fish to be shipped on July 8th to arrive July 9th. On Tuesday, July 9th, we waited ALL day for the fish to arrive. My brother also had fish shipped, and received his without incident on Tuesday. By 5:00 in the afternoon, I called to see where our fish was. They searched around and finally told me it had not been sent, but it would be on Wednesday to arrive Thursday. I took the day off on Thursday so that I would be there for the fish. Again, at about 5:00 I called when the fish had not yet arrived. I was then told that it had shipped that morning and would arrive Friday. I had to take another day off so I could finally receive my fish. It came at about 2:00 on Friday. The box had "8th" written on it. I have no idea why it wasn't shipped, why the lodge didn't call or email me to inform me of the delay as both were included on my order, or why my email complaining was not returned. I spent $138 for them to process and ship my fish on the 8th. They did not hold up their end of the bargain and I had hoped to receive some relief on my credit card. Instead, my email went unanswered. I am very disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Michele L

Travelers are raving about these Ketchikan hotels

Portola Hills, California, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2012

When you have your fish shipped home make sure to be very, VERY clear what day you want it to arrive on. I thought I was very, very clear when I talked to the woman who took my order on the dock. I told her it had to arrive on a Wednesday for anyone to be home to receive it. She said no problem and told me it would arrive today which is a Wednesday. I agreed to the date knowing I would be home to receive it and store it. Finally, after checking the porch a dozen times and being past 5pm I called to ask if it was coming. Found out she ordered it to be shipped from their facility on Wednesday instead of ARRIVING on Wednesday and so it's arriving tomorrow, Thursday. $126 invoice of fish plus $800 for family of four to charter fishing boat and our catch is arriving tomorrow. And tomorrow morning we are leaving out of town for three days. So we will come home to stinky fish if I can't find someone who doesn't mind checking my porch a dozen times and storing at their home. What a disappointment. :( And we had family and friends planning to come over next week to show off our catch. Hopefully, we can find someone who can help us out with this and I'll be able to submit a review on how delicious the frozen and smoked salmon is.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family