“Very Good, Excellent if you know where to look” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Ketchikan Duck Tour
Ranked #4 of 56 things to do in Ketchikan
More attraction details
Owner description: Once a red-light district, now an arts and crafts shopping area.
Medicine Hat, Canada
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Very Good, Excellent if you know where to look”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Creek Street is the historical part of Ketchikan tourist-ified. If there are a couple of cruise ships in port, it will be crowded, and while picturesque and quaint, the stores are there to take advantage of free spending tourists. (I was among them. Bought a big piece of jewelry for my wife's anniversary gift. Oh well.) You haven't been to Ketchikan if you haven't wandered around Creek Street, but there is a hidden gem. There is a small lift that takes you up the hill to a lodge, and from there it's a nice walk (free too!) in real Alaska. There is a boardwalk and series of stairways that go through a rainforest, along the salmon ladders at the top of Creek Street. It's as pretty a spot as you'll find, and it's someplace that 99% of the tourists never go. If you want to be out of the maddening crowd, but stay within a 5 minute walk of Creek Street, try this out. It was one of the most memorable parts of our vacation. We even had a local host us for lunch. Best salmon sandwich I've ever had, and even better hospitality.

Visited May 2013

63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Ketchikan, AK 2009”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

The very first place you stop when travelling north on a cruise ship to Alaska is Ketchikan, which is in the very southeast portion of Alaska. Make sure while you are there to walk along Creek Street. Most of the street is via a wooden "sidewalks". And like Ketchikan it is a very small street, but filled with shops in which to browse. Very nice change of pace for most of those who cruise that come from crowded metro areas.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank rwhubert
Pomona
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Do Not Miss”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

It was really a cute area to visit. We visited last August, when we got off from a Princess cruise. It was an interesting collection of shops. The Dolly museum was great! Plenty of areas to take good pictures. Do not miss!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jeff264
Perth, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Creek Street”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I found Creek Street to be too over crowded with both Tourists and tourist shops. It was unfortunate that there was so many cruise ships in town on the day, as it looked like it would have been fascinating to learn so of the history.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank DuDraig
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Haunted, Historic Shopping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was my second visit to Creek Street and I was absolutely thrilled to have the chance to come back and savor it again. The first time I remember being a little disappointed by how small Creek Street was. I guess I had in my mind that the former Red Light District was going to be some kind of massive, sprawling place. Nope, just a little thoroughfare with the old saloons and bordellos converted to shops and a couple of eateries now.

The first time through I stopped in one of the shops and bought a bright yellow rain jacket for $19.99. Best purchase I ever made. (This second visit back both my husband and I were tickled to see the $19.99 deal still prevalent in most of the shops of Ketchikan so we bought a couple new ones.)

Last time I was sort of aware of Creek Street's haunted history, but this time I came across a sign I hadn't ever seen before on a little yellow house at 20 Creek Street from the current residents that said it was the former residence of Beatrice Green and they had lived with her "naughty, playful spirit" for 26 years.

And I had seen Dolly's House on some ghost history show once upon a time, can't remember which one, but last time we didn't do the tour. This time I did. I asked the ladies about the spirit but they said the official answer is "No, Dolly's House is not haunted." But one of them then said, "But some people have felt a strong presence in both the kitchen and the stairway."

This second time we also got treated to a seal playing in the creek. He was really putting on a show, all by himself without any trainers or anything, just racing along, turning around, splishing and a splashing to let the tourists know he was there I guess. He seemed to me to be quite the ham.

There's a lot of character and charm on this haunted old street. If you're not a big shopper you can walk through in five minutes, but it's fun to linger a little while if you can. To look for salmon and seals in the creek...or to try and catch a glimpse of one of the ghosts that are said to roam the area. (Even if you don't see one, even a quick visit affords a feel of the spirit of a time gone by.)

Visited July 2013
4 Thank HauntJauntsGrl

Been to Creek Street? Share your experiences!