“Has character, but...”

and up
All Ketchikan Excursion
Ranked #7 of 60 things to do in Ketchikan
More attraction details
Owner description: Once a red-light district, now an arts and crafts shopping area.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I don't know I know I was a tourist here, getting off a cruise ship, and should expect touristy things..but sometimes you don't want that and you get it...that probably made no sense or lots to someone who knows what I'm saying!
Enjoyed popping in some of the shops, liked thinking of history of the area, but it felt a bit rundown and shabby. The overcast weather may have not helped the atmosphere here, but it just felt a bit depressed.
Did love one shop where they let us hold a heavy, large chunk of gold worth thousands of dollars...really that is what stands out at our stop in Ketchikan- thanks to the friendly sales clerk who offered this to us, even though it was clear at that point we weren't buying anything.
We did make a few purchases at a nearby store, I mean hey we are in Alaska on vacation.
Worth a visit, but doesn't take that much time to peruse.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

As they say, a short walk from the cruise ships and you arrive at this boardwalk stroll with some fine shops, totems, trees and the occasional Eagle built on pylons atop Ketchikan Creek that, in season, teems with spawning Salmon. We stood watching the fish as a seal and sea otter took turns chasing the Salmon upstream. Some interesting wares, not all tourist kitschy items, in the shops and the fun little "Married Men's"-cum-nature trail will take you past a fish ladder to give you a feel for the rain forest.

2  Thank Roger L
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Creek Street is a boardwalk along a salmon stream which in the fall is full of salmon swimming upstream to spawn. The creek is a beautiful fast running stream that runs through town to meet the harbor right at the lower end of the street. While the shops are mostly geared to the tourist, they are in well maintained (many of them historic) buildings. The street still looks like it did in the 1920s when it was the red light district, a short walk into history. If you can't pass up the urge to buy, the shops are well stocked with a wide variety of goods ranging from T-shirts to original Northwest Native art. Well worth the short walk from the docks.

1  Thank Larry B
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Exploring the streets , area, learning the history , visitor center, weather didn't stop me from enjoying the sites ,sounds, smells ...Eagles, Wild life , Totems ...yes...even some shopping ...
I myself liked the simple & easy this trip ...snorkeling was amazing...the town for me was fun.
I would like to share & say so many ppl . coming into ports can be a bit much for the locals. So PLEASE say HI, Thank You ,Excuse me , Your Welcome...Kindness goes a long way .
Angie from Chicago
10/15/2013

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Some cool little shops and lots of salmon in the creek. The street is not very long, but real close to where the cruise ships park.

1  Thank azbobaloo

Been to Creek Street? Share your experiences!